FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mainframes versus Object oriented languages

Rahul
Most of the financial industries like banking sector , insurance ,Retail chains use mainframes for their business,the techonology which was introduced around 40 years back.Todays techonology deals with object oriented concepts like C or JAVA which is much user friendly and easy to implement business requirments.

Why industries are not switching over to these latest techonologies where it's easy for a programmer to code and further more maintenance cost are very less when compared to mainframe techonolgy?
djclue917
Rahul wrote:
... with object oriented concepts like C ...

Uh, the C language is not an object-oriented language. It is, otherwise, a procedural-oriented language... Just clearing things up...
Rahul
sorry to make such an idiotic mistake,Thanks for the correction
{name here}
djclue917 wrote:
Rahul wrote:
... with object oriented concepts like C ...

Uh, the C language is not an object-oriented language. It is, otherwise, a procedural-oriented language... Just clearing things up...
But there is Objective C and C++ which are OOP.

But OOP doesn't make something more user friendly. It's just a programming preference that is an ease for the programmer. Also, java is a horrible language for programming in. Though it is cross platform, it really stinks when you're trying to build an application. I found it to be a new level of hell when programming. Assembly seems easier to me now.

What does OOP have to do with mainframes? The software doesn't care if it's a mainframe its running on or a supercomputer.
shenyl
Rahul, I guess is talking about M/F using proprietory technologies, while the current OO world uses the Object Model (Everything is seen as Objects).

We must look from the "Users perspective", they are now likely to be familiar with a GUI Desktop, than a Green Screen Telnet interface.

This is of course "push" on to the Users through the years of marketing and improvements from those who seek to dethrone the M/F technologies.

I guess M/F has also evolved in the last 20 years, not to dethrone the Desktop users, but to work along side with them.

Ease of Maintenance is always the issue, due to rapid changes in the business world and the "push" or competitive development environment.

Do hope this help clarify the link between M/F and OO world.
FunFunkyFritz
I agree with shenyl on this, but i just want to add another reason why some Manframes still are using proprietory technologies. And that is the cost. In some cases it would be extremely expensive to replace all those Cobol (or whatnot) programs that now runs like clockwork.
- If it aint broken, don't fix it.

And for new programs designated to run on a MF: all the the latest programming technology is usually used. Maybe not .net or any other M$ crap, but still..

Hehe, imagine any M$ product beeing used on a Mainframe. - Then a dialog would pop up on the terminal, that nobody is watching, saying:
"A: is not ready. Abort, Retry, Ignore?"
and every application would freeze up until someone pressed the dialog Smile
DoctorBeaver
I've worked on banking apps and I can assure you they most certainly do use modern software techniques.

True, many of the core programs are still the old COBOL and SNOBOL ones; but they work so why mess with them?

Also, as was stated by FunFunkyFritz, the cost to translate the billions of lines of code involved would be astronomical. Just remember the Y2K threat. Something as relatively simple as that was deemed by the large institutions to be too expensive to fix.
DimaSafr
Business business and business again. converting from one core system, such as main frame as not as easy as it seems! you can't just flip a switch and go live. converting from M/F to OO systems as a costy and incrusiating process, and often things go wrong, these all lead some businesses to buncrapsy!

However, the convertion is a happening thing, more and more businesses adopt Enterprice Resaurce planing systems, so probably soon main frames will extinct.
FunFunkyFritz
DimaSafr wrote:

However, the convertion is a happening thing, more and more businesses adopt Enterprice Resaurce planing systems, so probably soon main frames will extinct.

Why? Enterprise resource planning systems runs on mainframes as well. So that's no reason why they should go extinct.