FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A Disney Channel Protest "Wendy Wu - Homecoming Warrior

Where do you stand on Disney Channel's movie, "Wendy Wu : Homecoming Warrior"?
I think it's a movie that will mislead America's next generation to be just as racially divided as the last.
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
Ooooh... I think it's a nice family movie!
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 7

haydenharasta
Has anybody heard about this new movie being released by the Disney Channel entitled, "Wendy Wu : Homecoming Warrior." I mean, when I hear about a movie entitled anything similar to this, I am left believing that it will be a low-budgeted corky insult on a person who is of asian-american industry. I think we've all had enough of this Asian subjection to a 'Kung-fu' lifestyle. It's not like if you are to be frightened by Asian American peoples. I believe this movie is a conveying of racism and a degrading order nevertheless! The actress starring in this movie, I believe is Brenda Song? Have you honestly ever seen an Asian American star in any movie, EVER, of ALL TIME, and it not be a 'kick-punch-flick'? It's not like it's a subtle thing I mean, Wendy WU homecoming WARRIOR I think that it's just flat-out degrading. How do you feel about this everyone? Check out the polls, or reply and let me know what you think! Thanks...hh.
rightclickscott
It's Disney Channel idealogy. Not only is it going to teach kids that all Asian people know kung-fu, but it's all going to have over exagerating lines and instead having actual whit and comedy, they will aim at obvious jokes. Not only is it going to teach our kids the wrong ideas about life in general, but it's going to be terrible in it's attempt, and still accomplish it's goal. The worse thing about this is that a company that used to just make great family movies is now cashing in on jokes that kids like, and shows about teenagers and high school which are targeted towards tweens. The Disney Channel just annoys me all around, and another racially degrading movie doesn't surprise me. I would take a stand against this if the Disney Channel wasn't already hated by everyone over the age of 12.
HoboPelican
haydenharasta wrote:
Has anybody heard about this new movie being released by the Disney Channel entitled, "Wendy Wu : Homecoming Warrior." I mean, when I hear about a movie entitled anything similar to this, I am left believing that it will be a low-budgeted corky insult on a person who is of asian-american industry.

uh, maybe we should wait and see it before we condemn it? Maybe? Maybe it will be what you fear, but why get riled up until you know the heck the isues might be? Just a thought....
Andrew426
Its just a movie.

Theres millions of people dying every day because of hunger and the like and your protesting a movie?

You guys need to find yourself a hobby....
haydenharasta
Andrew,
You make a point. And more so, do you think FriHost would like 300,000 topics posted on how to end world hunger? I mean, with all due respect FriHost is here to be a variety of topics forum. I totally support you on ending world hunger, and everybody helping us reach the end of it. But, I'm not sure that FriHost would enjoy us taking up all of their space for the same subject. But hey, go ahead and make a topic based on World Hunger, and hey, I'll check it out. So your, 'get-a-hobby.' message is much unappreciated as I spent my time telling people about racism in today's television programs, which to me, maybe not to you, is a big deal. So here, comment back, and now tell me what you think.
Thanks.
rightclickscott
haydenharasta wrote:
Andrew,
You make a point. And more so, do you think FriHost would like 300,000 topics posted on how to end world hunger? I mean, with all due respect FriHost is here to be a variety of topics forum. I totally support you on ending world hunger, and everybody helping us reach the end of it. But, I'm not sure that FriHost would enjoy us taking up all of their space for the same subject. But hey, go ahead and make a topic based on World Hunger, and hey, I'll check it out. So your, 'get-a-hobby.' message is much unappreciated as I spent my time telling people about racism in today's television programs, which to me, maybe not to you, is a big deal. So here, comment back, and now tell me what you think.
Thanks.

Dude, you need understand something, it's not that Frihost is big, I should know, I've been here for awhile now, it's that the Disney Channel blows, and we should just leave it at that.
HoboPelican
Hey, I think haydenharasta's post is valid. It's about disney on the surface, but racial stereotypes in general. I thought it would be appropriate to wait until the movie was released (did it run tonight?), but it seems to be a perfectly worthy post.

Doesn't mean he isn't saying a flick is more important than "world hunger", just a topic of discussion. Jeez, there's a topic about bidets vs toilet paper.

Am I wrong?
Andrew426
haydenharasta wrote:
Andrew,
Thanks.
My message was not about world hunger, I was simply using that as an example of something better you could be doing with your time.

Its a kids movie.

Do you really have nothing better to do with your time?
Soulfire
I think you've blown this terribly out of proportion and are looking way too much into it. I doubt Disney's intentions with the movie was to perpetuate racial stereotypes, I think they just wanted to give kids the "good stuff", being action and whatnot.

Besides, I was under the impression that Asians were proud of their martial art skills... not offended by them. But then again, that could just be some of my teachers at school molding my mind the wrong way.
HoboPelican
Soulfire wrote:

Besides, I was under the impression that Asians were proud of their martial art skills... not offended by them. But then again, that could just be some of my teachers at school molding my mind the wrong way.

Well, unless EVERY asian was skilled in MA, I would think those that aren't would find it annoying (to say the least) that everyone expected them to be Bruce Lee. You have got to understand that perpetuating stereotypes is at best ignorant and can be down right insulting.

So why is this topic so "worthless" or "overblown"? If it's just a kids movie, doesn't that make perpetuating stereotypes even worse. Indoctrinating kids before they have enough experiences to judge?
Andrew426
Its a movie!!

Get over it!
HoboPelican
Andrew426 wrote:
Its a movie!!

Get over it!

Say something intelligent, ok? Answer my previous query or continue to look like a noob.
haydenharasta
Hey All,
Let me just say... All I was trying to post for is to express my feeling of racial prejudice in television's programs today, that may in fact be influencing America's next generation, in what I believe to be, the wrong way. I'm just stressing that I DO know that the Disney Channel is trying to make an Action movie that will bring them in money, as is the goal of many efforts, but in doing so they are conveying a false message. I DON'T WANT TO SEE THE WORLD'S NEXT GENERATION, WALKING ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE STREET FROM ANY ASIAN-AMERICAN PERSON BECAUSE THEY ARE AFRAID THEY WILL PULL A SWORD ON THEM A HURL THEM MILES INTO THE SKY. We all know of Martin Luther King Jr. and what he did for the African-Americans during the times of Extreme racism in the United States. Now is the time, I believe for us all to be that Martin Luther King Jr. Perhaps now people think, "Oh no racism isn't as extreme as it used to be..." Well It is. But in a more subtle way than before. I appreciate and respect all of your oppinions...

But let me ask this... Name one single... DECENT... movie, that stars an Asian-American , that isn't about kicking, punching, and Kung-Fu. Somebody complete this challenge... and we can talk about advancements in today's society.

Thanks. Again as always. -haydenharasta
Andrew426
HoboPelican wrote:

So why is this topic so "worthless" or "overblown"?

HoboPelican wrote:

Say something intelligent, ok? Answer my previous query or continue to look like a noob

Ok.

Its "Worthless" or "overblown" (your words - not mine) because most people have better things to do than protest a stupid kids movie.Noone is stupid enough to form opinions on an entire race just from watching 1 movie (well maybe a few - but thats beside the point)

I think the world is in a sad state when people are getting blown up and dying of hunger (just examples - My post is not about bombs and starvation) yet people still choose to bitch about a stupid kids movie that will probably be forgotten (by its audiance) within a month of seeing it.

Quote:
continue to look like a noob

What does this mean?
Continue to look like a noob?

By making this statement you assume that:
A) These "noobs" you refer to are somehow inferior to everyone else
B) Only a "noob" wouldn't answer your previous query.

I could go on and on but Im getting tired....
haydenharasta
You just said it yourself, that maybe a few movies might influence a person's outlook on an entire race. Well what does it take to get a few movies... a few single movies that have a racial-bias... this being 1. Pay attention Andrew. All it takes is for a person to grow up the wrong way, and they could be the rally behind the next KKK. Sure, it's just a Disney Channel Movie. But wrong is wrong. And I'd really like to make a stand for that.
Andrew426
Why do you see the need to impose your will on others?
HoboPelican
Andrew426 wrote:
Its "Worthless" or "overblown" (your words - not mine) because most people have better things to do than protest a stupid kids movie.Noone is stupid enough to form opinions on an entire race just from watching 1 movie (well maybe a few - but thats beside the point)

My words, your sentiments. Look, it's a valid issue. How in the world can you say this is not important enough to discuss here. Look at your posts on this site. I see some posts on whaling ( a big issue), but then look at all your posts on autos. A quote from you I think was "
Heres some cool burnout videos. ". Come on, prejudice is not an important issue but cars are? Or all your posts on the computer sections?
Why are those important, but not stereotypes?

Quote:

Continue to look like a noob?

By making this statement you assume that:

Not at all. You are wrong again. I meant that you were showing your noobidity by ignoring posts that pose reasonable questions and issues and simply posting short blasts with no content. And your right, there are lots of noobs who aren't that bad.

So, unless I'm missing some big ethical issue involved with burn-outs and car mods, I can't see how racial stereotypes shouldn't be discussed here.

Back on the issue,
haydenharasta, did you see that movie yet?

Quote:
But let me ask this... Name one single... DECENT... movie, that stars an Asian-American , that isn't about kicking, punching, and Kung-Fu. Somebody complete this challenge... and we can talk about advancements in today's society.

That's harder than I thought...Joy Luck Club? But it's a good point.
Andrew426
I never said this shouldnt be discussed here, I just said it was stupid.

All the american pie movies (with the exception of "american pie - band camp") an asian/american was in a main role.

Im wondering if anyone who posted in this thread is actually asian.

You didnt answer my question either.

"why do you feel the need to impose your will on others?" (or words to that effect)
HoboPelican
Andrew426 wrote:
I never said this shouldnt be discussed here, I just said it was stupid.

Sorry, I interpreted your comments that it was stupid and to get a life to mean that you thought this topic wasn't worthy. Not sure how I made THAT mistake. Laughing
Quote:

All the american pie movies (with the exception of "american pie - band camp") an asian/american was in a main role.
Ok, I'll bite. Who are you talking about?
Quote:
You didnt answer my question either.

"why do you feel the need to impose your will on others?" (or words to that effect)

Uh, am I? Where did I do that? By asking you to to post more than a 2 line "get a life" response? By asking you why this is an undeserving topic. Where am I imposing my will? Please enlighten me.

And while you're at it, again, why is this less valid that your auto posts?
haydenharasta
Hey guys,
To answer a few questions... Yes I have seen the movie. Twice, actually. The only issue I was trying to bring up here is that MANY movies, including this one, make stereotypes more prevelant, rampant, and general. I didn't like this movie, because it took Asian stereotypes do an extreme. So Andrew, if you feel this is such a STUPID topic, then maybe you should watch the movie. But instead of watching it from your daily eyes, try and watch it from an Asian-american's eyes, and try and not feel like the movie persecutes you.
-Andrew, to answer your question, "Is anybody whose posted here an Asian-American." Yes, I am.
Another reason why I think I might be seeing this more relevant than you. Think of it like I've said, and then tell me what is and isn't racially-biased. I would like to continue to discuss this with you, but can you and HoboPelican stop arguing? At least about whose stupid and who isn't? Let's all have a sensible arguement about the topic, and it's relevance.
Thanks. Again as always... haydenharasta...
HoboPelican
haydenharasta wrote:
.... but can you and HoboPelican stop arguing? At least about whose stupid and who isn't? Let's all have a sensible arguement about the topic, and it's relevance.

Appologies to all Embarassed I, for one, think it is a worthwhile topic and will limit my response to topic only.

So, you asked about movies with asian americans in lead roles without Ma. Does "Joy Luck Club" qualify? I know it is pretty much a chick flick, but that's the best I could do. There are probably others, but the fact that most of what I thought of WHERE MA flicks seems to make your point.

Something to consider is how many Asian-american actors are active in Hollywood that are not MA-types.

Oh, and I forgot, almost any Dean cain movie I guess.
haydenharasta
That's also a good counter-point of how many hollywood-active actors are there that aren't in MA films. But, perhaps they are not really accepted unless they are wanting to be in MA films?
izimngcubes15
Even though I think it was kind of stupid, but the story is ok. To make it a good family, viewer-friendly movie, the way they fought was good enough for little children. Even though most ways they fight is impossible, it is still good for young kids to watch, as they do not need a lot of realistic violence and such. I like Brenda Song too, she's kinda pretty ^.^
izimngcubes15
rightclickscott wrote:
It's Disney Channel idealogy. Not only is it going to teach kids that all Asian people know kung-fu, but it's all going to have over exagerating lines and instead having actual whit and comedy, they will aim at obvious jokes. Not only is it going to teach our kids the wrong ideas about life in general, but it's going to be terrible in it's attempt, and still accomplish it's goal. The worse thing about this is that a company that used to just make great family movies is now cashing in on jokes that kids like, and shows about teenagers and high school which are targeted towards tweens. The Disney Channel just annoys me all around, and another racially degrading movie doesn't surprise me. I would take a stand against this if the Disney Channel wasn't already hated by everyone over the age of 12.

Disney teaches many lessons, even though some movies may seem stupid to you, believe it or not, many people watches it. High School Musical? It was watched more by people OVER 12 according to statistics.
haydenharasta
Hey.
Look man, this isn't meant to hurt you but, I watch some disney channel movies (Yes this one, I started the post.) But please let's keep on the subject. We are trying to discuss the issue of Racism in today's films, and it's affect on the next generation of youngsters.
Thanks. Again as always. haydenharasta.
coolclay
The disney channel is freakin awesome, I am 21 yrs old, and I still watch it from time to time.

I am sure the movie isn't racist, yea so it may be pushing a stereotype, but big freakin deal. So do tons of other movies.

"Hey, you got girlfriend Vietnam? Me so horny. Me love you long time."

Best movie of all time.
screamingdecay
I saw part of it when my neiece was watching it god how crappy it was.
prepkid
i saw the ending and was so angry that i yelled 'this is an outrage!'

no, i didn't really yell that...i was rather laughing histerically at how cheesy the movie was. It's not only degrading but also EMBARRASSING.
rightclickscott
coolclay wrote:
The disney channel is freakin awesome, I am 21 yrs old, and I still watch it from time to time.

I am sure the movie isn't racist, yea so it may be pushing a stereotype, but big freakin deal. So do tons of other movies.

"Hey, you got girlfriend Vietnam? Me so horny. Me love you long time."

Best movie of all time.

I hope, for the love of whatever god, that you are being sarcastic. The Disney Channel is terrible in every respect when it comes to making tv shows and original movies. And the Deer Hunter (or maybe I'm wrong, maybe it's not the Deer Hunter, I don't know, I've been out of it for awhile) was a classic, and was meant to be racist. The Disney Channel was just being terrible as usual. Mow, b*tch.
Andrew426
Uh yeah sorry about the arguing.

HoboPelican wrote:
Andrew426 wrote:

Ok, I'll bite. Who are you talking about?

John Cho.

He was also in "Harold & Kumar go to White Castle"

http://www.haroldandkumar.com/
HoboPelican
Andrew426 wrote:

John Cho.

He was also in "Harold & Kumar go to White Castle"

OH, got it. Didn't think of him as being a major role in American pie flicks, but definately in Harold and Kumar. Great flick! And another movie on the list of non-vilent roles for Asian-americans.

So we have Dean Cain, John Cho, George Takei, Jason Scott Lee (# Rapa Nui , The Jungle Book), Lucy Liu (Chicago), Joy Luck Club, Victor Wong (Tremors).

More than I thought originally.
venc
Quote:
Has anybody heard about this new movie being released by the Disney Channel entitled, "Wendy Wu : Homecoming Warrior." I mean, when I hear about a movie entitled anything similar to this, I am left believing that it will be a low-budgeted corky insult on a person who is of asian-american industry. I think we've all had enough of this Asian subjection to a 'Kung-fu' lifestyle. It's not like if you are to be frightened by Asian American peoples. I believe this movie is a conveying of racism and a degrading order nevertheless! The actress starring in this movie, I believe is Brenda Song? Have you honestly ever seen an Asian American star in any movie, EVER, of ALL TIME, and it not be a 'kick-punch-flick'? It's not like it's a subtle thing I mean, Wendy WU homecoming WARRIOR I think that it's just flat-out degrading. How do you feel about this everyone? Check out the polls, or reply and let me know what you think! Thanks...hh.

*sniff* if you where I girl I would marry you. and, you are so right! all movies with asians are 'kick-punch-flick' I believe it is teaching future generations that asians know how to kick but, so, if they have one in their 2nd grade, our kids may be mentally afraid of them, because their asian, so the y should know how to 'kick but' thats all I hafta say about this racist, degrading movie.
-Venc
HoboPelican
venc wrote:
...all movies with asians are 'kick-punch-flick' ...

See previous posts. Maybe you meant "a lot of movies with asians are 'kick-punch-flick", not 'all'.

I assume we are talking about american made movies, right, not all the Hong Kong martial arts movies imported here.
venc
yes, you are correct
venc
Quote:
Hey All,
Let me just say... All I was trying to post for is to express my feeling of racial prejudice in television's programs today, that may in fact be influencing America's next generation, in what I believe to be, the wrong way. I'm just stressing that I DO know that the Disney Channel is trying to make an Action movie that will bring them in money, as is the goal of many efforts, but in doing so they are conveying a false message. I DON'T WANT TO SEE THE WORLD'S NEXT GENERATION, WALKING ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE STREET FROM ANY ASIAN-AMERICAN PERSON BECAUSE THEY ARE AFRAID THEY WILL PULL A SWORD ON THEM A HURL THEM MILES INTO THE SKY. We all know of Martin Luther King Jr. and what he did for the African-Americans during the times of Extreme racism in the United States. Now is the time, I believe for us all to be that Martin Luther King Jr. Perhaps now people think, "Oh no racism isn't as extreme as it used to be..." Well It is. But in a more subtle way than before. I appreciate and respect all of your oppinions...

Thanks. Again as always. -haydenharasta

I have one, 'get a clue' it stared brenda song, also. but, it was on the disney channel, so, I dunno if it still counts.
venc
ooops, sorry, accidental double post, soz
venc
you guys, we have brought upon our selves what we hate so much! look at the google ads! 'kung fu movies' asians battle it out'
noOooo! why?? why us?? lol!
rightclickscott
You're posting too much, Venc.
venc
sorry scott, I just got bored here. I will shut it now.
rightclickscott
Gain your frih points in some other topic, dude.
coolclay
Good point rightclickscott, if you have something to say, say it one post not the next six posts in a row.
rightclickscott
I'm not really making a point, I'm just trying to encourage people to post in more than one topic. Not only that, but I want to reach my 500.