FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can anyone help me with this (counter strike)

eightbitpyro13
A friend of mine is sitting on an OC-192 and hosts several servers for me and my friends, including Battlefield: Vietnam and Counter-Strike servers. Seeing as how Doomsday takes up a laughably small amount of resources compared to those two games, and seeing how there really are no quality dedicated servers for the Doomsday community, I was thinking of setting one up with him (or possibly more if they're popular). My only real problem is getting the dedicated server to behave, namely how to make it function as an actual server.

The documentation is a bit sparse when it comes to setting up and running dedicated servers, though I assume they inherit the settings you set when creating a normal multiplayer game. How does one go about starting up the server from the console window once you launch Doomsday with the -dedicated switch? In other words, running the actual server, getting it to show up on the master list, etc. Also, is there any way to deal with map rotations, or are you stuck with the same episode you launch with until you restart the server?

Finally, what type of server would you guys like the most? Coop on Nightmare, Deathmatch 1, Deathmatch 2? Team damage, BFG allowed, etc.? Just trying to sort out the details, as I believe we'll try to get it set up tonight if we can. Thanks in advance for any input.