FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I can't change permissions!

tolgaozbek
Hi admins,

I have an interesting problem. I have a subdomain : martisan.tolgaozbek.frih.net and I can't change the permissions now! I used to edit everything but now I can only do that a speacial module called joomlaxplorer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your support
tolga
Bondings
Well the problem with a lot of software like joomla/mambo is that they create files under the name of apache instead of your own in order to be able to edit them. I changed them back to your username, please check again now.
tolgaozbek
Thanks bondings, It has worked Applause Applause Applause
mOrpheuS
mOrpheuS wrote:
Problem resolved, thread -locked-

Please PM any staff member if you need this re-opened.

Thread unlocked.

User reports a recurrence of the same problem.
Please consider this as still unresolved.
Bondings
I put it in a cron job running every day. Hope that works.
Bockman
as for Joomla, I would recomend users to use a explorer module that actually is easier to manage than accessing cpanel/DA.

JoomlaXplorer is a joomla component that works around these permissions (because you are accessing through joomla)

For other cms, there ought to be a similar component.

Be Well Cool
dac_nip
Bondings. I have the same problem. The files are owned by apache. I can't change the permissions and can't do anything at this moment. Just uploaded some templates and Im trying to patch my Joomla right now so please give time to change the permission or put me on cron jobs so that I can change them.

Hope for your fast support and help.

a big thanks! Very Happy
Bondings
dac_nip wrote:
Bondings. I have the same problem. The files are owned by apache. I can't change the permissions and can't do anything at this moment. Just uploaded some templates and Im trying to patch my Joomla right now so please give time to change the permission or put me on cron jobs so that I can change them.

a big thanks! Very Happy

Please try it now.
vicarious
I am having the same problem, with one catch. I am shown in DA as the owner of the /tmp folder and the permissions are set as 777, but it is still shown as unwriteable in the web installer. Everything else seems fine (except for config, but I can set that at installs end). I have been honestly trying for two days now, on IRC, forums, and googled it to death. The only thing I haven't tried is "CALL YOUR HOST" Please help. Crying or Very sad
linexpert
Even after resetting my account, i still get this error. Is "You don't have permission to access /install.php on this server." the same problem that you guys are having?
dac_nip
Bondings wrote:
dac_nip wrote:

a big thanks! Very Happy

Please try it now.

Thank you very much for the support Bondings. Very Happy
dac_nip
Bondings, Im very sorry but I would like to request that you put me on cron job again (second time). Or is it scheduled already?, I mean daily or was it scheduled weekly..etc. Its just that whenever I try to uninstall or install components in my Joomla, it automatically creates it for apache. I don't know the reason for this but I have observed it many times. Maybe due to install scripts by those components. Thanks.
Bondings
dac_nip wrote:
Bondings, Im very sorry but I would like to request that you put me on cron job again (second time). Or is it scheduled already?, I mean daily or was it scheduled weekly..etc. Its just that whenever I try to uninstall or install components in my Joomla, it automatically creates it for apache. I don't know the reason for this but I have observed it many times. Maybe due to install scripts by those components. Thanks.

It's daily.
dac_nip
Bondings wrote:
dac_nip wrote:

It's daily.

am i on cron job still? please put me again. I've got the same problem again.
thanks a million!
aningbo
Boss, you gotta help me as well. i need the file permission to be set right.

thank you.
Bondings
dac_nip, yes you are still on it. I also added you to it, aningbo. I hope this solves your problem(s).
aningbo
thanx Bondings...
aningbo
hey bondings, my two folders 'cache and rcache' under the "gallery" folder are still under apache! could you please looking into it. thank you.
evilryu530
i just installed joomla, i am also having the same problem, can someone explain the joomla xplorer thing more? what are cron jobs? and what steps shoudl i take now to make my joomla work? i dont have permissions to some files it says when i open my joomla site...thanks a billion!@

CHECK OUT MY SITE I TRIED INSTALLIGN JOOMLA, LOTS OF WARNINGS
http://phanclan.design.frih.net

also i cant log in as admin to my joomla.
brandonberg
when ever i install modules for joomla i cant edit them or change permission for anything.. all i get is "Permission Denied" followed by a "Transfer failed". is this the same as the other problems people have encountered? if so how can i fix it?
brandonberg
wait i actually fixed this..

im not sure if it was me, or something else happened at the same time but i went into the Joomla main confuration in the joomla admin cp and got the option to CHMOD all the files under joomla.. i set everything to 777 and since then i havnt had any problems regarding permissions and editing/owerriding/pasting anything within a joomla directory..

dont know if this helps anyone.. Confused