FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computer Generated Images -your own please...

Lapinbleu
Images made with Blender http://www.blender3d.org, the best free 3D soft ever!

There's more -wait till I get a Frihost!
S3nd K3ys
Pretty cool.

I just started learning to make water in Blender3d. Mostly been playing with parts I make at work. Have a look here for some of them...

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-38525.html
Lapinbleu
Yow, nice images of complex parts! Blender is a bit weak at making holes in things - very soon the polygon count goes through the roof, and many of the poygons end up very long and thin. How many in your models? I don't know SolidWorks, not the sort of thing you'd find in warez `(;o)#. Do your files end up in DXF?

I am a watchmaker, though I'm getting old, and mechanical timepieces are getting rarer. One problem with modern oils is that they last 40 years - you might never see the same piece twice...

I enjoy Blender, am making a collection of all the different escapements I can find, Blendered and animated, some of which are so rare I have never seen them in the flesh. Escapements are good for animation - you can watch a cyclic animation of a few seconds for a long time. Hope they give me some Web space soon, then I'll put them all up, with the glossary, etc...

We could swap .blend files if you like. pm me... Lapinbleu.
S3nd K3ys
Lapinbleu wrote:
Yow, nice images of complex parts! Blender is a bit weak at making holes in things - very soon the polygon count goes through the roof, and many of the poygons end up very long and thin. How many in your models? I don't know SolidWorks, not the sort of thing you'd find in warez `(;o)#. Do your files end up in DXF?

I am a watchmaker, though I'm getting old, and mechanical timepieces are getting rarer. One problem with modern oils is that they last 40 years - you might never see the same piece twice...

I enjoy Blender, am making a collection of all the different escapements I can find, Blendered and animated, some of which are so rare I have never seen them in the flesh. Escapements are good for animation - you can watch a cyclic animation of a few seconds for a long time. Hope they give me some Web space soon, then I'll put them all up, with the glossary, etc...

We could swap .blend files if you like. pm me... Lapinbleu.

I modeled them in Mastercam years ago. In the Gerardi.blend file, (the animated tombstone with the 4 housings on it) has 205,254 faces and 615,762 vertices. The blend file is over 20 megs. The hi-res version of the last animation I uploaded to that thread (today) is like 30 megs, and took ~ 7-14 minutes per frame, with (if I recall) 175 frames for the animation. I rendered it at 1024x768.

As a watch-maker, we likely share many common interests and abilities. I don't have many blend files yet. Only been using it for a month or two. I've pulled some stuff from the popular repositories to see how they work. But that's about it. I know almost nothing about the game engine. I think I could make a machine simulator in it that reads machine code and simulates it. I'm not sure how well the boolean ops would handle that amount of action, though. I'm years away from that, though. Still enjoying finding out all the cool stuff I'll never ever in a millions years have time to do. Smile
Lapinbleu
20 Meg is about the biggest .blend file I've ever heard of. The base language behind Blender is Python - there are some interesting scripts available, but increasingly they are included in the soft. That's Open source for you. The internal ray-tracing is quite recent, gives good transparency with variable indices of refraction. The "game" engine is quite something, providing collision and proximity ("radar") detection, and if your machine is good can handle a lot. There is a Wiki http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Main_Page which is interesting - the quickstart is a bit lame, but the advanced section taught me a lot - using subsurfaces, bevelling, mouse gestures...

Many Blender users make rather gothic anthropomorphisms, and it's nice to meet an engineer. As a didactic tool it has enormous potential, allowing the visualisation of things that are too small, too abstract, or too rare...

My request for space is now pending, although I'm not sure if I can put downloadable files up on Frih.

Hope you like Ratatouille...

Tomppe
Nice pictures! Razz
Lapinbleu
The Ratatouille is easier than it looks - once the can is made, the colour is applied from a scan of the original label... so it could be beans, or Spam... Wink
Che
Lapinbleu wrote:
The Ratatouille is easier than it looks - once the can is made, the colour is applied from a scan of the original label... so it could be beans, or Spam... Wink

I still think it looks awesome...
Vashni
Whoa nice pics dude. i still am trying to figure out how blender works. Nice work, since i know how hard it is
Lapinbleu
There are many good things for learning Blender here http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Main_Page

But beware - much of the advice is geared to the making of humanoid figures. Best to master geometrical forms and simple animation before trying to make space monsters!