FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What's with windows for Adobe?

ashok
According to CNet Adobe will file an antitrust suit against Microsoft. The reason? Adobe doesn't want the next version of Win Office to be able to save as PDF. Apparently they don't mind if Microsoft charges extra for the feature, but if it's included for free as part of the Office 2007 suite, that's not okay. Mac Office, and indeed every application on the Mac OS X that prints, can save to PDF. Can someone explain to me why Adobe would want to make it more difficult for Windows users to produce PDF documents? If Adobe goes after Microsoft why wouldn't they also go after Apple for including this kind of functionality in the Mac OS? This seems like a very strange move on Adobe's part.
RhysAndrews
Quite interesting... Does Adobe Acrobat Professional have a Mac Version? If not, that may be the reason.

Regards
Rhys Andrews
schudder
Adobe has always seemed to favour the Mac system and like Rhys said, maybe there isn't an Adobe Professional for Mac? Also, Windows accounts for many many many more clients than Mac users.

In any case, they have every right to force them to charge, since it's their product, they own the copyright and it's a source of income for them that would otherwise disappear.
ocalhoun
Adobe owns the PDF format, and for some reason, they want to go after microsoft (perhaps it's their scads of money). While this is a perfectly legitimate lawsuit, remember that microsoft owns the FAT file system, and was earlier thinking of enforcing their copyright on it. They might just get what they're after (a piece of the profit from every copy of office sold), but at what cost?
The_Gamer294
alkady
Well its obvious, Abode has a program on Windows in which you can make your own PDF files, They offer for free a program to view it. Genuise isnt it?

But the fact remains if people can make the PDF for free, Then that means they lose income from their in-house PDF software.