FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Will Microsoft be Microsoft without Bill Gates?

ashok
Bill announced that 2 years from today, July 2008, he will reorder personal priorities and work part time at Microsoft and full-time at the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Ray Ozzie will become the new Chief Software Architect. Craig Mundie will become Chief Research and Strategy Officer. I must admit that I'm impressed by Bill's realization that, "with great wealth, comes great responsibility" and I think that he's trying to do things that really help others worldwide. This is a good thing.

The question that comes to my mind is simply this: "Will Microsoft be Microsoft without Bill Gates?" Before you try to answer this question, consider this one, "Would Apple be Apple without Steve Jobs?" I think there's a good deal of sentiment out there that Apple is Steve Jobs, and if you remove Steve from Apple, you don't have that visionary leadership that has been core to Apple in the beginning and especially in it's more recent comeback. Bill Gates is a bright individual, but his "reign" at Microsoft has not been that of a dictatorship. Maybe that's just an consequence of scale, but from my humble view of all this, Bill's greatest genius has been in surrounding himself will other brilliant people, which is not a trivial task by the way. The collection of bright people at Microsoft isn't going to leave in when Bill moves from full time to part time employment in two years. I think what's less clear is how you calculate the influence of an individual at Bill's level and account for that loss. So guys what do you think?
Ikthar
Bill Gates is going to stay as chairman, so, he's not leaving at all... He still have a "owner" position being chairman.

But I have to ask: is July 2008 before or after the Vista release? Rolling Eyes
ashok
They say Vista will be released by Jan 2007.. hope this time they wont postpone.
bigdan
He's returning into a more typical chairman role of a public company...

Oh well, all the best to him. Very Happy
alkutob
He is the owner and the boss .. and indeed he will manage carefully with his new situation to give a new idea that he is great enough to control all what belongs to him ...

I think all the new staff of microsoft has all the rules how to to complete bill's steps ..

No new plans can be proccessed without the bill's approval .

A genius person like Bill will never take any such decision without knowing that everything will be ok .

Any opinion will not be better than Bill's opinion when he took such decision
sibbahz
This most likely wont affect microsoft that much, as Bill will still have a lot of control over the company, hes just devoting more time to the foundation. I think it is a good move for him.
cybernie
ashok wrote:
They say Vista will be released by Jan 2007.. hope this time they wont postpone.

They have released Windows LongHorn before on Beta... this is now the so-called Windows Vista... maybe the postponement of the release is a sign that they were making something better out of the new system...
Vrythramax
I am on record as being a M$ Hater.....but I must give Mr. Gates credit where it is due....he turned DOS into a multi-national company encompassing 2/3's of the worlds PC's.

I may not like his practices....but credit must go where due.

Bill Gates will never really leave M$.
{name here}
Microsoft has little to change in their course. Without Bill there could perhaps be improvement. Microsoft may get better without Bill unless they don't improve quality control.

However, we do know what would happen to apple without Steve Jobs. Last time that happened Apple went to hell until he was the president again. Jobs is a visionary with big shoes to fill. Bill Gates is not. Paul Allen was the real visionary of microsoft pulling the strings of the company before he got a better job elsewhere(I think it was MIT). The company went pretty much downhill in quality after Allen left MS.
Vrythramax
Doesn't anybody realize Bill Gates gave up running the company as CEO and took over as head of R&D under an agreement with the US Justice Dept. years ago??

This "new" company he plans to head will will only be a puppet and owned/operated/financed by M$!

Wake Up! Bill Gates isn't going anywhere.
alkady
Well Microsoft wont be Microsoft anymore because your not going to Have Bill attend all those Microsoft Events ect. But youll see him more often giving out lectures for $200,000/Hr.

Plus the world wont be any diferrent, Bill will probably now have more time to do crazy things like open a theme park in his hi tech house, Get a hi tech zoo like *Cough MJ.
izcool
One of the things mentioned in the "Pirates Of Silicon Valley" movie (I love that movie to death, it's where I get a lot of sources of information from) that Apple did survive without Steve Jobs for 12 years (he was kicked off the board in 1985) until he returned back to Apple in 1997. I think that if Apple survived without Steve Jobs for that long, I think Microsoft will have to digest that same sort of pill and live without Bill Gates for awhile.

- Mike.
alkady
^ Except, During those 12 years, Apple wasnt really doing good financially until they aquired NextStep, Steve Job's new start up which eventually lead to the iPod and you get the point.
Jaime
Microsoft is a Gold Mine. Without Billy it would even be a monopoly.

Thanks for correct me my english language... Wink
Scorpio
I guess microsoft would be microsoft, apparently it cant be google or IBM.. Laughing

Seriously though, I think they can survive

There are enough planners and programmers to keep it running

And since Gates will still be chairman, I dont think they ll run short of ideas at all
hunnyhiteshseth
Ofcourse there will be some effect on microsoft, but what that effect will be, only time can tell! Exclamation
adiutrix
ashok wrote:

Vista Beta has been officially released and available for download at Microsoft's page. 3.2gigs I think it is. Speaking of Vista that it Razz
solarwind
No one cares about Microzoft. M$ stinks.

Linux forever! The real question to ask is:

Will Linux be Linux without Linus Torvalds?
Ikthar
solarwind wrote:
No one cares about Microzoft. M$ stinks.

Linux forever! The real question to ask is:

Will Linux be Linux without Linus Torvalds?

Well, since Microsoft owns more than 80% of the marketshare out there, I think that many people care about Microsoft...

Off-topic: Linux is already Linux without Linus, since Linus doesn't develop Linux actively anymore, he only gives advices in forums and other communications ways.
HoboPelican
alkady wrote:
^ Except, During those 12 years, Apple wasnt really doing good financially until they aquired NextStep, Steve Job's new start up which eventually lead to the iPod and you get the point.

Huh? I must have missed the intervening years! Very Happy My lab had one of those Next cubes (I was writing x-ray diffraction progs). How did that turn into the iPod? Or did I misunderstand you?
{name here}
Quote:
Doesn't anybody realize Bill Gates gave up running the company as CEO and took over as head of R&D under an agreement with the US Justice Dept. years ago??

This "new" company he plans to head will will only be a puppet and owned/operated/financed by M$!

Wake Up! Bill Gates isn't going anywhere.

That's right, Ballmer runs microsoft now. I would be uneasy if I was an employee of microsoft with monkeyboy calling the shots.
alkady
HoboPelican wrote:
alkady wrote:

Huh? I must have missed the intervening years! Very Happy My lab had one of those Next cubes (I was writing x-ray diffraction progs). How did that turn into the iPod? Or did I misunderstand you?

Well theorically speaking, When Apple acquire NextSTEP, Which was another Steve Job start-up, They got him to return as the CEO. Also after Jobs was fired by Sculley, Apple wasnt doing good financially which lead to his ousting. When Jobs returned, Things where starting to go well a bit and obviously we all know iPod was developped by Apple and a bunch of Third Parties. So what I meant was, When Jobs returned he was leading a company behind the iPod and so on.
HoboPelican
alkady wrote:
... and so on.

Got it. I was afraid my iPod was running *nix on a 68000 Laughing