FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Countering Computer Game Addiction: Step Away from the Scree

fish
Every afternoon hundreds of thousands of youths flood Internet cafes (网吧), switch on a game console (游戏机), or otherwise sit down to involve themselves in intense (强烈的) fantasy worlds. I'm talking about video games; games like Counter Strike, Diablo, Smash Brothers or Halo. These games can be fun and exciting, but we need to watch out for when this pastime becomes an addiction.

Games are not Healthy
  Games are often incredibly (难以置信的) exciting and dramatic, but they generally aren't very intellectual (益智的). We don't learn as much from them as we would simply reading a book, and spending too much time playing them can take away from our study time. We need to remember that we are students first and foremost. Nothing should ever get in the way of proper studying.

Violence in Games
  Video games can also be a bad influence on younger children who may be watching. Many video games are violent and the object in most of them is to kill the other player(s). This does not send the right message to the children who need to be told that violence is not acceptable and need to be taught how to handle situations maturely (成熟地). Even if we do decide ourselves to sit down and play a violent video game, we need to make sure that it is not influencing the younger people around us.

Breaking the Video Game Habit
  Playing a computer game in our spare time is not a bad thing. Games can be a great way to relax after studying, to connect (联系) to our friends, or just to aid (=help) our creativity (创造力). However, games should not become the focus (焦点) of our life. We need to make sure that playing games never interferes with (干涉、妨碍) our studies and that we aren't thinking about them all day. If we ever find ourselves playing them too much, we need to break the addiction. If that happens, we need to step away from the computer or television screen and learn to spend our time more productively (有成果的).
mOrpheuS
fish wrote:
Games are often incredibly exciting and dramatic, but they generally aren't very intellectual. We don't learn as much from them as we would simply reading a book
you're absolutely correct when you say games are not very intellectual but you can't compare a game with a text book, can you ?
If I have to compare games to books, I would prefer to compare them to a novel. Novels are no more intellectual than games, in my opinion Wink

fish wrote:
Video games can also be a bad influence on younger children who may be watching

So much has been said/written about violence in movies too...I bet games contain no more violence than there is in certain movies, and kids do watch movies, don't they ? Wink
That doesn't mean we all should quit watching movies too.

fish wrote:
We need to make sure that playing games never interferes with our studies and that we aren't thinking about them all day

I'm sure if there is a person that much addicted to games, he/she is not going to give heed to any of all this advice in the first place.
Wink
wizdrag
fish wrote:

Games are not Healthy
  Games are often incredibly (难以置信的) exciting and dramatic, but they generally aren't very intellectual (益智的). We don't learn as much from them as we would simply reading a book, and spending too much time playing them can take away from our study time. We need to remember that we are students first and foremost. Nothing should ever get in the way of proper studying. ...

If you comute by mass transit you see a lot of people reading novels which are not very educational/informative. There are so many trash novels out there that offer no more excitement thatn a video game. Many of the serial novesl are more repetative than a video game, with the exact same cookie cutter hero/heroine, villian/antanagonist story line in each one. not that every novel has to be a scintillating example of writing excellence and prowess, but let's not say that all novels are great and all video games are horrible.

There are plenty of violent novels and other reading sources, as well. In fact the evening news tends tobe more violent than many video games, especially since the violence is real, not pretend. Children watching the news or eadng a newspaper see stories of priests abusing cjhildren, kids being killed by their parents, earthqukes, tidal waves, buildings being blown up. people being killed for religion, etc. It does not make sense that we try to blame video games for the problems kids are having when they grow up. While games make an easy target, it is time to get real and admit that we live in a villent world, and that kids are going to the games for a sense of control and for escaping the eviolence they see in the world on a daily basis.
Bengt
Pretty stupid subject i always think these kind of threads are.
Because there is a simple general truth that says:
if you overdo it , it wont do you good Wink
so reading books from dawn till dusk isnt good as well Very Happy
so idd man ! Very Happy
benwhite
Actually, it's been shown in several studies that children who play videogames significantly develop a type of hand-eye coordination. Playing games actually very mentally engaging. As for educational, obviously not. But compared to say, plain old TV, games are practically a marathon for the mind because they require active thought and problem solving, as opposed to passive interpretation.

Of course, the kiddies should still read more. But that's not gonna happen.
Tiger
Interesting point with regard to hand eye co-ordination. I read an article a while back that the US Military did a study that showed that kids who played video games made better soldiers.

I am quite sure that they have a point. The other day at work a guy brought in a new game on DVD (about 3 Gigs). I forget the name, but it's a 'realistic' World War II game. You can choose to be British, American, Russia or German if I remember correctly and experience 'life-like' action. Of course such games can be addictive, increase your competitive nature, and definitely inmprove your co-ordination and powers of observation.

A good novel or textbook will do more to develop your intellectual and conversational skills however. Probably some game playing, some book reading, and some physical/outdoor activities would make you a more well rounded person.

Sitting indoors all day, no matter what you are doing (gaming, reading, watching TV, talking), is not very healthy for you. Your body needs sunlight and fresh air as much as it needs mental stimulation.

In fact, last year when I was in northern Europe, I read an article about SAD, an 'illness' caused by a lack of sunlight in the winter months.

The point is to keep your life balanced and structured and you should have no physical, mental and emotional disorders!