FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

a site, that is mine

snowboardude
ok, so heres my site, http://html.frih.net, and i've spent around 2 hours on it, so please don't flame me about how little stuff there is on there. ps. please register on teh forums, cos so far i have three (3) members, and its a little bit pathetic.
{name here}
Add a little graphic in there, put up an afflicates box and pop frihost in there, switch the body font to veranda, add some hover code to links and ditch the underline, add a site title, then the site will look good and people will be more likely to register. I don't think anyone would register right now with the site's current condition, nor wish to learn html with the site looking like that. But remember looks are not everything. Make sure your site is HTML and CSS standard - which it is not at all, and be sure to add things to make it easier to navigate in a text browser - which it does.
chizeled
May suggest php-nuke? It give you a whole site and there are a lot of different themes to pick from. If you want more info, PM me and I can give you the low down. If you are interested, I would work on putting some structure to your site. You have some content, but you just need to beef it up. Building from scratch is hard. So good luck and let me know if you are interested in a php-nuke site. FYI: I am thinking of putting in the marketplace a service for php-nuke full set-up.
{name here}
Skip the CMS - It's not unique, nor is it very secure. I've had my share of over three CMSes corrupted by script kiddies - Joomla!, Post Nuke, and Xoops. Not only that, but they are severely bloated and waste large amounts of space.
chizeled
{name here} wrote:
Skip the CMS - It's not unique, nor is it very secure. I've had my share of over three CMSes corrupted by script kiddies - Joomla!, Post Nuke, and Xoops. Not only that, but they are severely bloated and waste large amounts of space.

I disagree, I have not had any problems with my site. I log all potential hacks and report them to the proper ISP's. A permanent ban and a potentail black list will usually solve that problem. I have not found that they are bloated. As far as the space issue is concerned I dont think they exceed 50mb. So I would say that is just your opinion. Sounded like you had one bad hacking experience and then you want to destroy a good idea. That is your opinion and I have to respect it. I would say HTML, PHP and CGI are not unique either. I don't definately do not diss those concepts. This is only my opinion and everyone has a to use there own judgement.
benjad
As you said, this is only the begining of your site.

The question I would pose is, there are many HTML/PHP/SQL sites. How will you set yours apart? Will it me custom made to the beginner? Maybe the intermediate level? Will it be just a (another) complete reference.

What will set your site apart from the others? Why will people want to go there?

Forum, sorry, I'm so anti-forum that I will withold my comments...
Tomppe
Just work a little bit on the layout and you may get more visotorst to read your tutorials .. Exclamation
sugarbox
great
{name here}
Quote:
Sounded like you had one bad hacking experience and then you want to destroy a good idea.

Post Nuke - hacked three times with proper patches
Xoops - hacked once with proper patches
Joomla - hacked once, but my account had to be reset because it was so bad.
Strangely, I was the only one using non-custom CMSes out of the three sites hosted back then, and I was the only one being hammered with hacks. It's stopped now with the advent of better more unique content.
snowboardude
chizeled wrote:
May suggest php-nuke? It give you a whole site and there are a lot of different themes to pick from. If you want more info, PM me and I can give you the low down. If you are interested, I would work on putting some structure to your site. You have some content, but you just need to beef it up. Building from scratch is hard. So good luck and let me know if you are interested in a php-nuke site. FYI: I am thinking of putting in the marketplace a service for php-nuke full set-up.

thanks for the advice, but im already using cms, that i made myself w/ php.

yeah, thanks for the feedback everyone.
ignition
Suggestion for content: a php tutorial that explains how to switch the "content" of a certain portion of a page to something else, without actually loading a new page. Same idea as iframes, but without the iframes. I would certainly like to know Razz

As for the site's aesthetic appeal...uhmm...well it could definitely use some work. It's kind of hard to understand what's going on, with text all over the place and nothing really aligned/organized in an easy to follow manner. As far as CMSs go I'm with {name here} - pointless, ugly, and unoriginal to say the least. glad to see you made your own little 'cms' though and at least you have some content...keep it up man!
chizeled
{name here} wrote:
Quote:
Sounded like you had one bad hacking experience and then you want to destroy a good idea.

Post Nuke - hacked three times with proper patches
Xoops - hacked once with proper patches
Joomla - hacked once, but my account had to be reset because it was so bad.
Strangely, I was the only one using non-custom CMSes out of the three sites hosted back then, and I was the only one being hammered with hacks. It's stopped now with the advent of better more unique content.

Man that sucks, I am going to install sentinal, I heard that works good and detects hacks and other intrusions. I guess I don't blame you then. How long ago did that happen? snowboardude, CMS is a more involved than your site. It is more robust. But props to ya for giving it a go with what you are trying to do. Let me know when you a a little more beef, I would be really interested to see how your site evolves. Like I said I would like to help in any way.