FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

About CD Capacity?

lancerfootwear
Dear sir
I generally works for different companies in Flash-MX but remembering in mind that I am a fresher. And I face a problem when I create a movie of FlashMX and Exports it to a .avi extension then it becomes to more than 700 mb which is out of storage capacity of a CD. Plese tell me is there any type of CD more than 700 MB in Indian Market and if Yes, Please tell me the Company name of CD.
Thanking you.
AftershockVibe
CDs cannot get much greater than 740MB guarenteed capacity, however most of them can get up to around 800MB with a process called "overburning" this isn't according to CD offical specs though so might not play on some drives, older ones especially.

So basically, 800MB is your upper limit. However, if you still need to transport something larger than that on CD you can use a tool like WinRAR (free download) to break it into two (or more) ~700MB parts, put it on separate CDs then rejoin it on the computer you are transporting the file to.

You will need WinRAR installed on both computers though.
technology.sponge
as aftershock vibe sed, overburning wont get u far, id say abt 760 megs actually

also overbuning can damage your cd burner permanently

try using an winrar or winzip to split files into 700mb files, then burn to cd or, use a codec (imassuming the exported avi is raw) to compress the flashmx/avi. xvid/divx will happily convert say 20 mins into 100 megs, if u cant use that, converting format to quicktime h.264/mpg may also be an option
SoftStag
I think your best option is to burn to DVD. Drives and media are now fairly cheap.
psycosquirrel
I agree with SoftStag. Try using DVD media. DVDs are cheap almost as cheap as CDs and have much more than a gigabyte of space on them.
DecayClan
SoftStag wrote:
I think your best option is to burn to DVD. Drives and media are now fairly cheap.

+1
Why not try using a DvD>?
They cost as much, and they have 4.2GB(single layer)
You can get a nice DvD REcorder for about 50Euro...
TheGeek
I say personally that splitting it to 2 cd's is your best option in my opinion because if you have to store the data for a long period of time. CDs have a longer shelf life that they can hold data. It's been proven that DVDs over a period of only a few years will decay and begin lossing data. However, A DVD burner is a good investment of money also, simply because if you do ever need to store 1+ GB of data for a short period of time, for say short back up period or transportation, its a good method. I recently got a good DVD/CD burner combo drive for about 40 USD.
alkady
DecayClan wrote:
SoftStag wrote:

+1
Why not try using a DvD>?
They cost as much, and they have 4.2GB(single layer)
You can get a nice DvD REcorder for about 50Euro...

The problem with that is not everyone has a DVD Reader, But splitting it half also may cause inconvienience to the end-user.

Unless your looking for quality, Try compressing it, Thats really the only solution and convert it to DIVX.
AftershockVibe
alkady wrote:
The problem with that is not everyone has a DVD Reader, But splitting it half also may cause inconvienience to the end-user.

Unless your looking for quality, Try compressing it, Thats really the only solution and convert it to DIVX.

That is likely to be just as much of a problem. Most company systems are even less likely to have DivX codecs installed than WinRAR.
rohitmohanphotography
Get a DVD RW drive. CD is too small and slow for practical use. I have a Lite On DVD burner.