FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is Free BSD?

lancerfootwear
dear sir
As I have seen this Free BSD term in your fourm in operating systems section is it a n operating system or any other term.I f it is an operating system then please tell me about its performance and its compatability with famous designing softwares like Photoshop, Corel etc.
Please tell me I am waiting for a positive response.
Thanking U
photon
freebsd is a free operating based on unix... and it cannot work with photoshop or corel as they are specifically made only for windows
{name here}
photon wrote:
freebsd is a free operating based on unix... and it cannot work with photoshop or corel as they are specifically made only for windows

Photoshop is also for OS X too, I believe.
anurag_bhd
FreeBSD is a really advanced distro(distribution) of Linux, generally meant for users having advanced skills in the wolrd of linux. The BSD acronym stands for : Berkeley Software Distribution. So, this means that BSD is the Unix-shell modified by the Berekeley university in USA.
If you are a newbie to Linux, do not try this flavor. Even the installation is not GUI based and completely text-mode based.
If you want to begin trying Linux, start with Ubuntu, SuSE, Slackware or even Knoppix. Smile
webbone
I use freebsd as my web server,It'a based on unix core,and need low memory and low cpu!but have high performance for router and web server!
But it can't run photoshop and coreldraw Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
{name here}
anurag_bhd wrote:
FreeBSD is a really advanced distro(distribution) of Linux, generally meant for users having advanced skills in the wolrd of linux. The BSD acronym stands for : Berkeley Software Distribution. So, this means that BSD is the Unix-shell modified by the Berekeley university in USA.
If you are a newbie to Linux, do not try this flavor. Even the installation is not GUI based and completely text-mode based.
If you want to begin trying Linux, start with Ubuntu, SuSE, Slackware or even Knoppix. Smile

It is NOT a distro of Linux. It is based on BSD 4, which is based on the official Unix source code. Linux, however, was made from scratch and is a Unix-like OS following POSIX standards. FreeBSD is not compatible with linux without installing the linux emulation layer(included with freebsd)
BSD is not a Unix-shell, it is the name of the tree of unix family that was originally created by the University of Berkeley. All of FreeBSD has the official Unix tools - the sh shell(official standard shell that comes with every unix), ed(text editor), etc.
FreeBSD is for those with skills in Unix(not necessarily advanced, as you can use bash rather than sh), who want proven rock solid stability. Many of the same applications for Linux are availble for FreeBSD, but you can run the robust Linux library of software with the linux emulation layer.
jackill
If U want BST and need OS for desktop, try desktopBSD Wink
http://www.desktopbsd.net/
FunFunkyFritz
Slightly off topic, but close enough:)

I've been looking for a comprehensive comparison between FreeBSD and OpenBSD.
What's the difference between those two?
{name here}
FreeBSD concentrates more of applications, innovation, and that stuff. OpenBSD concentrates much more heavily on security, communications, and stability making it a more suited OS for government facilities and companies with imporantant data to protect. There hasn't been a security hole in OpenBSD for over 8 years now.
FunFunkyFritz
{name here} wrote:
FreeBSD concentrates more of applications, innovation, and that stuff. OpenBSD concentrates much more heavily on security, communications, and stability making it a more suited OS for government facilities and companies with imporantant data to protect. There hasn't been a security hole in OpenBSD for over 8 years now.

Thanx! I think i will kick out my selinux firewall and install OpenBSD instead.
fiendskull9
anurag_bhd wrote:
If you are a newbie to Linux, do not try this flavor

as you will see farther down in my post, its not a flavor of linux

anurag_bhd wrote:
FreeBSD is a really advanced distro(distribution) of Linux

No its not, absoultely NOT. BSD was a kernel developed by Berkley college's development branch when they bought the Unix source. It was built to be stable and run on their servers more independently without needing to tend to often.

FreeBSD is a distroubution using the BSD kernel. It DOES have an advanced install, but once your done with it, you can install X11, and Gnome or KDE.

-clay
corey
I'm actually surprised that no one has referred our kind question to the actual FreeBSD website, http://www.freebsd.org , which has one of the best documentation that one will ever find,regarding how to use the operating system.
urangkayo
lancerfootwear wrote:
dear sir
As I have seen this Free BSD term in your fourm in operating systems section is it a n operating system or any other term.I f it is an operating system then please tell me about its performance and its compatability with famous designing softwares like Photoshop, Corel etc.
Please tell me I am waiting for a positive response.
Thanking U

Quote:
FreeBSD is a 4.4BSD-Lite based operating system for Intel (x86 and Itanium®), AMD64, Alpha™, Sun UltraSPARC® computers

FreeBSD has many noteworthy features. Some of these are:

Preemptive multitasking with dynamic priority adjustment to ensure smooth and fair sharing of the computer between applications and users, even under the heaviest of loads.

Multi-user facilities which allow many people to use a FreeBSD system simultaneously for a variety of things. This means, for example, that system peripherals such as printers and tape drives are properly shared between all users on the system or the network and that individual resource limits can be placed on users or groups of users, protecting critical system resources from over-use.

Strong TCP/IP networking with support for industry standards such as SLIP, PPP, NFS, DHCP, and NIS. This means that your FreeBSD machine can interoperate easily with other systems as well as act as an enterprise server, providing vital functions such as NFS (remote file access) and email services or putting your organization on the Internet with WWW, FTP, routing and firewall (security) services.

Memory protection ensures that applications (or users) cannot interfere with each other. One application crashing will not affect others in any way.

FreeBSD is a 32-bit operating system (64-bit on the Alpha, Itanium, AMD64, and UltraSPARC) and was designed as such from the ground up.

The industry standard X Window System (X11R6) provides a graphical user interface (GUI) for the cost of a common VGA card and monitor and comes with full sources.

Binary compatibility with many programs built for Linux, SCO, SVR4, BSDI and NetBSD.

Thousands of ready-to-run applications are available from the FreeBSD ports and packages collection. Why search the net when you can find it all right here?

Thousands of additional and easy-to-port applications are available on the Internet. FreeBSD is source code compatible with most popular commercial UNIX® systems and thus most applications require few, if any, changes to compile.

Demand paged virtual memory and “merged VM/buffer cache” design efficiently satisfies applications with large appetites for memory while still maintaining interactive response to other users.

SMP support for machines with multiple CPUs.

A full complement of C, C++, Fortran, and Perl development tools. Many additional languages for advanced research and development are also available in the ports and packages collection.

Source code for the entire system means you have the greatest degree of control over your environment. Why be locked into a proprietary solution at the mercy of your vendor when you can have a truly open system?

Extensive online documentation

You can read this at online documentation from www.freebsd.org

regards
stoned_spirit
FreeBSD® is an advanced operating system for x86 compatible (including Pentium® and Athlon™), amd64 compatible (including Opteron™, Athlon 64, and EM64T), UltraSPARC®, IA-64, PC-98 and ARM architectures. It is derived from BSD, the version of UNIX® developed at the University of California, Berkeley. It is developed and maintained by a large team of individuals. Additional platforms are in various stages of development.

www.freebsd.org