FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Tall tales you were told as a child?

meet in rio
When I was younger, my father told me that:

- The Romans used to enjoy trapping bubbles of air under their flannels when they were at the public baths.
- When something had been stolen in Rome, everyone concerned was made to lift up their vest to show that they were not concealing anything; hence came the word 'investigation'.
- 'Yesterday' was written after Paul McCartney had lost a fortune gambling in Russia ("yesterday... all my roubles seemed so far away"); the the 't' was later added.

What were you gullible enough to believe?
MythicalMuffin
I was never told it by anyone else, but I used to think that my shadow was actually me in an alternate universe, and it had its own seperate identity from mine.

I was also under the impression that my parents bought me at the Baby Store, which I figured was hidden somewhere near the lawn mowers at Home Hardware.

Thankfully, my imagination makes a little more sense nowadays.
Traveller
When I was five, we lived near a wooded area that had dirt road leading into it to allow fire trucks to enter, if necessary. Thus, the road was called a "fire road."

As five-year-olds whose perception was less than accurate and who had active imaginations, we were afraid to take our bikes onto that road. Our reasoning: it was called a "fire road" because the friction from the tires of our bicycles would start a fire.

It's amazing what we can think up as kids! Laughing
riv_
Too many tall tales to count!
I was told for many years that if you didn't eat all your vegetables, the Vegetable Man would come and get them out of the trash while you were sleeping. He saved them in a big green garbage bag (that's why garbage bags were green - to honour the Vegetable Man) and save them for you until you were 16. The night before your sixteenth birthday the Vegetable Man would come down the chimney and force you to eat all the rotten vegetables he's been saving for you since you were born.
That was a nice one.
izcool
Of course, when I was really young, I was told to believe in the Tooth Fairy (we had a glass tooth fairy in our China cabinet) and even Santa Claus. I eventually learned that neither of those were real and sorta laugh back on that. My dad tells me some ghost stories that he swears are true (I do believe him to this day) of when he did encounter them. Hmm, let's see, the Boogey Man I was told was real (I think it doesn't exist lol). Umm, the Loch Ness Monster, which I'm not sure to believe on, Sasquatch, Bigfoot, that sort of thing.

- Mike.
CrimsonStrange
A friend of mine used to tell me horrific stories centered around the things she saw when she worked as a janitor at the North Anna Nuclear Station. She would ramble on wide-eyed for hours about spiders as big as rats and snakes the size of anacondas. Shocked

And as a child, my grandmother told me hilarious anecdotes about her adventures as a brothel madam/moonshine bootlegger & runner here in this very house I now reside in. I discovered years down the road that those stories were actually true.
Ray Gravin
Im not sure if the things my parents tried to feed me were "traditional" fairy tales and urban myths. Im pretty sure my Mom had a lot of fun at my expense as a child. I would have to say that the one thing that scared me the most was the Kit she called the Pee Pee bird.

We had this kite that looked like a vulture. I hated that Kite with every bit of hate my little 6 year old body could muster. Her and her Boyfriend would bust into the bathroom wile I was relieving myself with that damn thing. They would say things like "oh no the Pee Pee bird is going to get your Pee Pee!" Talk about a traumatizing experience for a young impressionable mind. They would even randomly chase me screaming around the house with that damn thing.

I remember the day we were flying kites in the country and I let the damn thing go. I was so happy to see it jet away in the wind far far farrrr away. I think we did end up finding it down the road. It was smashed all the Hell thankfully. : )
unicorn1
I wasnt really told any stories, but now im a teenager, too late Razz
solarwind
When I was a kid, I was always told the truth. Even about the tooth fairy and santa claus and stuff like that. So, now, I'm happy that I was told the truth. I was never lied to.
animejunkie48
Man, there are a lot of stories my parents used to tell me...

I remember that everytime I would misbehave, my dad used to tell me that he'd get the board of education out. I used to think that it was an actual wooden board that he would spank me with instead of actually being the school board for a certain school district.

Theres so many more but I can't think of them off hand.
munkey_boy
riv_ wrote:
Too many tall tales to count!
I was told for many years that if you didn't eat all your vegetables, the Vegetable Man would come and get them out of the trash while you were sleeping. He saved them in a big green garbage bag (that's why garbage bags were green - to honour the Vegetable Man) and save them for you until you were 16. The night before your sixteenth birthday the Vegetable Man would come down the chimney and force you to eat all the rotten vegetables he's been saving for you since you were born.
That was a nice one.

What if someone was gullible enough to believe that? LOL Razz