FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

AVI playback on WMPlayer ---> bad quality

Tvis
I have a lot of AVI files on my computer. I used to watch these in Windows Media Player. But lately when I play my files in that player the quality is really bad. I can still see the movies but there is this irritating something crossing the screen so it seems. Even on files that used to be good!!! However when I watch the files in WinDVD there is no problem at all.

Now, there is nothing wrong with watching the movies using WinDVD, but I would like to know is there is a solution for the quality problem in WMP. I have version 10. Could it be my video card or is it software related as I don;t face the problem in the other player?
izcool
I have a similar problem with Windows Media Player.

The quality for me is OK, but if I try to play multiple movies in a row (such as watching a DVD) it only plays the first for a few seconds and then blacks out. If I watch it one movie at a time (or in the case of a DVD, one chapter at a time), it plays just fine. So, my temporary fix (until I reformat my computer) is to use Cyberlink's PowerDVD XP. Windows Media Player acts fine for me if I were to use it for music. I could play multiple songs in a row on it just fine. But for videos and movies, forget it.

It looks like that Microsoft has problems with it. Rolling Eyes

- Mike.
Indyan
I dont know what is causing the problem. I havent experienced any such problem.
But in general the quality of video in VLC player tends to be the best.
kernel_geek
All i can suggest is that you reinstall your Video Card drivers
Also I would check if there is some kind of setting for AVI compression in the settings.
x-stream
Hmmm... You may don't use Hardware acclleration. I can't tell you much about this technology, but it uses overlays to play videos and it's much faster
(-> Accleration) Very Happy
Try to activate this somewhere...

x-stream
SoftStag
It could also be a problem with one of the codecs. Sounds like an odd problem though. Make sure you are using the latest version of Media Player, that could help.
IceCreamTruck
Have you tried updating your codecs? Try downloading a new codec from divx.com as most avi vodeos are actually divx encoded.

If you get a new codec and you are still having the same problem, then try playing the files in the Divx player, or like was said before, try playing them using the free VLC media player.

I personally have switched off of using windows media player whenever possible. I have used it to rip my whole music collection off of cd so I can play my music whenever I want without having to put a cd in the drive, but other than that I don't use win media player. There simply are better options for video playback.

Try DIVX from divx.com
or search on google for VLC media player

Both of those are good players, and they don't try to get to you buy anything, like windows media player tried to get me to buy a simple DVD decoder, when I know for a fact there are free options out there like VLC.
Ikthar
Maybe the problem is with the codecs, as already stated by other people, since VLC and WinDVD use they own codecs. Try to reinstall your codecs.
bryanbel
How about trying a free reliable avi or multimedia player. VLC media player, could play almost any media regardless of codec types. Just google for it.
trilogy456
Download Divx player. It never slows or skips.
kelvinpoon
izcool wrote:
I have a similar problem with Windows Media Player.
The quality for me is OK, but if I try to play multiple movies in a row (such as watching a DVD) it only plays the first for a few seconds and then blacks out. If I watch it one movie at a time (or in the case of a DVD, one chapter at a time), it plays just fine. So, my temporary fix (until I reformat my computer) is to use Cyberlink's PowerDVD XP. Windows Media Player acts fine for me if I were to use it for music. I could play multiple songs in a row on it just fine. But for videos and movies, forget it.

It looks like that Microsoft has problems with it. Rolling Eyes

- Mike.

I have the same problem with you when i use windows media player to watch DVD.
But after i have install InterVideo WinDVD, i use Windows Media Player to watch DVD, the problem solved.
I don't know why actually, i guess that If i use WMPlayer to watch DVD, the codec used is the software we used(such as powerDVD).that mean the problem is come from PowerDVD but not WMPlayer.
kernel_geek
Good point about the hardware acceleration, you can find it in display settings, advanced ... Not sure as i use linux :p
pudovkin
VLC Player is a good option.
There is also Media Player Classic.
http://www.divx-digest.com/software/media_player_classic.html
Tvis
I will try the hardware acceleration...I also have WinDVD player. At first that one worked fine for me. Later on it started to show the same things...Not with all files. Just specific AVI's for example. However, now I have Nero Showview...and something I never could have guesed...this one works the best! The quality is amazing! I haven't found an archive that played bad on this player. I installes Nero 6 complete and the player is included.
Bones
Sounds like a possible codec issue, although I must say that I agree with most of the posts above...VLC is (in my opinion) easily the best media player out there. I used to be a huge Power DVD fan until I tried VLC...now it's gimme vlc or gimme death Smile Hey, on top of being a GREAT media player, it's also freeware.
turbosquid
It sound like a strange porblem, i would check that hardware accelleration is on full. youll find it under:- tools--> options--> Performance.

Other player options:-

VLC player is good - http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

BS Player also very good - http://www.bsplayer.org/ i havent tried version 2 though.

Codecs:-

in my opinion you only need one codec FFDSHOW Smile thats only my opinion though Razz
It covers DIVX 3,4,5, XVID, MP42, MP43, H261, MPEG1, MPEG2......etc etc etc
pretty much all the most common codecs your likely to need also its very fast, its FREE and supports subtitle files, has excellent post processing and de-blocking....... please excuse for getting a little carried away there!

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/ffdshow.cfm

hope this helps Razz
Jwullty
According to Microsoft Official Website, Windows Media Player does support playing AVI videos. If your Windows Media Player won't play AVI, two reasons cause the issue:

Reason one: Windows Media Player doesn't support the video codec in AVI file. AVI(Audio Video Interleaved) is a container format designed by Microsoft, used to wrap audio and video streams together. These audio and video streams can be compressed by various codec. During the days AVI format comes into being, WMP supports all video codecs that can be used in AVI file. After that, more and more new codecs, like Xvid, DivX, MPEG-4, are invented and used in AVI file, but WMP doesn't support them.

Reason Two: Your AVI files are corrupt. Play them on other players and devices to check if this is the reason.

To play AVI files with a non-Microsoft codec in Windows Media Player, you'd better to convert AVI to Windows Media Player compatible WMV, ASF, AVI, MPG etc at: http://www.faasoft.com/articles/windows-media-player-avi.html
naim94a
I would go with Xvid (xvid.org) codec instead of DivX; unlike divx, xvid is free.