FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Who hates PDFs?

How do you feel about PDF files?
They don't bug me
48%
 48%  [ 16 ]
They're somewhat annoying
33%
 33%  [ 11 ]
I don't like them
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
I hate them
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 33

Xcelerate
I know that everytime I'm searching some webpage if I click a link that opens a PDF then all other tabs are locked and I have to wait for Acrobat Reader to load, and then wait on the file it's loading. It just wastes time and I don't find a use for these files.

Does anyone else feel the same?
Josso
They annoy me at the best of times, I hate it when people encode text in them and it's not easy to copy the text and use it for manipulation... also it takes ages to load for, lets be honest, nothing much. It really lags if your doing tons of things. I'd rather things were in RTF or something instead of PDF.
pixor
Thats the point, people don't want their content that they've worked so hard on to be stolen over about in 2 seconds, so they seek alternative ways to keep people from copying them directly, to at least use them in their own words. I personally like PDF files since they give the protection I need for my content.
Balthamos
They are nice for guides and stuff. I don't think they should be used for normal articles, but for magazines or guides, that's where they are a good use for.

~Balthamos
Xcelerate
I didn't think of security, but I guess that would make sense. Of course, usually they don't have something in them that needs to be secured.
gh0stface
I use to hate PDF files, but they're not so bad anymore after I found the program FoxIt and replaced the slow loading Adobe Reader.

It's a small standalone program which loads reeaaaaaaaal fast.
Traveller
For the most part, I like PDF files. Of course, when they come up as Google results, there is usually a "view as HTML" link which makes it easier to see if it would be worthwhile to view or download the whole PDF.
Scorpio
Balthamos and pixor pretty much summed it up here

I too like the PDF just for the security and it looks quite nice if mags are in PDF format rather than .doc or .rtf formats

But fortunately I do have acrobat professional, so it doesnt take me two mins to rip out a complete pdf file

No security there I am afraid/

But on the whole, it is a pretty good concept

And yes, on the internet, it is quite annoying because of the loading thingy

I really hate that
mOrpheuS
gh0stface wrote:
I use to hate PDF files, but they're not so bad anymore after I found the program FoxIt and replaced the slow loading Adobe Reader.

It's a small standalone program which loads reeaaaaaaaal fast.

That's what I always use. The program has a memory footprint of just 6 Mb. Blazingly fast.

Although, due to the use of non-propreitary fonts and perhaps less resource intensive output rendering methods/algorithm, the text quality is not as good as it appears in Adobe reader.

Also, the free version only has plugin for Internet Explorer.
The Pro version, however, includes a plugin for FireFox and other Mozilla based browsers.

It's also great as a standalone reader. A good replacement for the usual Adobe bloatware.

Here's a screenshot of Foxit plugin (free version) opening a PDF in Internet Explorer.
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/4283/foxitieplugin3pq.png
photographerguy
It is annoying to load sometimes.
My Mac seems to handle it alot better than my Win Xp.

I really like it because it will look the same on all platforms.
I have some issues with Word docs viewed in Microsoft Office on XP and OpenOffice on Mac. This solves my problem.
Reign
Xcelerate wrote:
I know that everytime I'm searching some webpage if I click a link that opens a PDF then all other tabs are locked and I have to wait for Acrobat Reader to load, and then wait on the file it's loading.

I use to hate pdf's coause of the same reason untill I found pdf download.
an extensions for firefox that will show a popup with the question if you want to download the pdf, open the pdf, ...

I used to click to on links without viewing if it was a pdf then firefox would almost crash. now when I click on a link the popup comes up and i can still choose to open or cancel it. Nice tool and i don't hate pdf's anymore Smile

You can find it here: http://www.pdfdownload.org/
Indyan
Xcelerate wrote:
I know that everytime I'm searching some webpage if I click a link that opens a PDF then all other tabs are locked and I have to wait for Acrobat Reader to load, and then wait on the file it's loading. It just wastes time and I don't find a use for these files.

Does anyone else feel the same?

Opera by default downloads pdf, rather than opening them in a browser window. This is much more convinient. Then I use foxit reader to open it. Foxit is very light.
It can be done in Fx also via an extension.

Pdf is a good format. It's just that Adobe Acrobat reader is a bloated and crappy software, and most browsers tends to use acrobat plugin to open the pdf in a browser window/tab.
neosree
I am also agreeing with Indyan - Using opera is very convenient when it comes pdf things. Just download them and view them using a light software like foxit pdf reader. Pdf is actually a convenient format when it comes published contents.

But there will be a competition soon, from microsoft, coming with a new publishing format, and integrating with windows may make it a popular thing. let us wait and watch Rolling Eyes .
Indyan
neosree wrote:
I am also agreeing with Indyan - Using opera is very convenient when it comes pdf things. Just download them and view them using a light software like foxit pdf reader. Pdf is actually a convenient format when it comes published contents.

But there will be a competition soon, from microsoft, coming with a new publishing format, and integrating with windows may make it a popular thing. let us wait and watch Rolling Eyes .

Yeah. Its known as Metro. Interestingly Ms had offered to integrate pdf with Ms Office ( save as pdf ). But Adobe refused to give permission. So now MS will probably push aheard with metro more aggresively.
And sinse it will be bundled with Vista, irrespective of it's quality it will become popular.
asDdsA2
nahh.... Acrobat Reader is a nice tool for me... u know.. reading manuals, e-books and many things..
pudovkin
PDF is very nice.
I don't like the Reader.
And this is different things.
orcaz
PDF is quite good in my opinion, coz I create them quite often. I need them for like distribution of documents which are not supposed to be editable.
tony
i used to hate PDF's back when I used adobe acrobat reader to open them. since then, i have discovered xpdf for linux and foxit reader for windows (both are free). you don't hate PDF's; you hate the software that opens them Wink .
{name here}
PDF format is fine. The reader is the problem. If tools were as small and functional as in Plan 9, we wouldn't have the problem. No company follows the UNIX philosiphy anymore:
Ken Thompson wrote:

(i) Make each program do one thing well. To do a new job, build afresh rather than complicate old programs by adding new features.

(ii) Expect the output of every program to become the input to another, as yet unknown, program. Don't clutter output with extraneous information. Avoid stringently columnar or binary input formats. Don't insist on interactive input.

(iii) Design and build software, even operating systems, to be tried early, ideally within weeks. Don't hesitate to throw away the clumsy parts and rebuild them.

(iv) Use tools in preference to unskilled help to lighten a programming task, even if you have to detour to build the tools and expect to throw some of them out after you've finished using them.

Rob Pike, the maker of many of Plan 9's applications, and a master of C had a version of the UNIX philosiphy:
Rob Pike wrote:

Rule 1. You can't tell where a program is going to spend its time. Bottlenecks occur in surprising places, so don't try to second guess and put in a speed hack until you've proven that's where the bottleneck is.

Rule 2. Measure. Don't tune for speed until you've measured, and even then don't unless one part of the code overwhelms the rest.

Rule 3. Fancy algorithms are slow when n is small, and n is usually small. Fancy algorithms have big constants. Until you know that n is frequently going to be big, don't get fancy. (Even if n does get big, use Rule 2 first.)

Rule 4. Fancy algorithms are buggier than simple ones, and they're much harder to implement. Use simple algorithms as well as simple data structures.

Rule 5. Data dominates. If you've chosen the right data structures and organized things well, the algorithms will almost always be self-evident. Data structures, not algorithms, are central to programming.[9]

Rule 6. There is no Rule 6.

Source: http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/ch01s06.html
Bourgondier
I also really hate that~!!!!!
m0u53m4t
They really bug me by the way that sometimes if you rename, for example, file.pdf to file.pdf.exe it will still show up as file.pdf but work as an exe. Easy way in for hackers Rolling Eyes
Rocky3478
I like them for cross-platform compatability.... Smile
cavey
When pdf are linked to at a website, its annoying if you are not properly warned.

The pdf-format is great for sharing documents no matter what program or fonts the end-user have. It will still look the same, and it is easy to share and read offline.

m0u53m4t wrote:
They really bug me by the way that sometimes if you rename, for example, file.pdf to file.pdf.exe it will still show up as file.pdf but work as an exe. Easy way in for hackers :roll:

You can rename any file, not just pdf. The only way it will show file.pdf that is really an exe-file, is if you have set the computer to hide known file extensions (which is both stupid and dangerous).
Guyon
Well PDF's also have an upside. Like you can see the material the way it was suppoed to be seen. Otherwise if you did nlt have the font installed your machine would put in a differnt one and that could really mess up the formating. Also I take PDF's on my Palm. Which works quite well. Finially the best thing about PDF's are security of not giving away your original document. that alone is woth having it around.

PDF's are not perfect but I think life on the web would be not as nice as having Acrobat around.

One suggestion Web Developers. May be make an HTML or text verion for those that do not like or can not use PDF's. I have seen it done and would like that also set as a standard.
Kaneda
As others have said, the reader is the problem, not the files. The file format is great and useful, the player is starting to suck more and more. And links to a PDF really should be marked as such.

Same thing goes for QuickTime, really - another hated format, where the real problem is the player. Best widely used media container format outthere (since it doesn't seem Matroska/MKV will ever get anywhere). Should be a standard (well, it is, in terms of the MP4 container), and kill off AVI and ASF - and RealMedia as well.
surdy
When i first came across PDF it was really annoying, but now its been quite a time since then and i have used so many PDF manuals, e-books, magazines, journals that now it seems quite familiar. Infact now i have started appreciating its features and to me portability matters. So PDF rulez.
If u really face a problem opening PDF documents you found in search results you can always use View as HTML feature. Or you can also use an older (lighter) version of Acrobat Reader on your system if it $ucks ur system resources.
Lapinbleu
I too hated PDF until I found something other than Acrobat to read them. Acrobat spends a lot of time boasting about how many patents it has, and loading plug-ins that are not necessary for the document at hand. Many of the plug-ins can be placed in a separate folder created (Plug-ins Unused) in the main plug-in folder. This speeds things up a lot. Acrobat can give a better rendition of fonts, and has features such as "read aloud" and the bookshelf, which Foxit does not.

Foxit Reader is fast, but fast, works well with Opera if you select it as the default reader. It will ask you this on start-up. Perfect for browsing use, removes that sinking feeling when you hit a pdf link...

An excellent Javascript for Opera, link-alert.js, shows on mouse-over the type of link by means of a small icon next to the cursor, which is shown during a second or two (configurable) - pdf, script, in-page, image, audio, many more. It is available here http://userjs.org/ along with many other useful scripts.

Check out also
- zoom-image.user.js
- google_image.js
- hide-objects.js.........
exarkun
I hate PDF too!!! They can be quite a nuisance, especially openin gup on my slow computer. They cannot be edited too, and that can be quite troublesome compared to normal html and txt files. Well, althought PDF have its beautiful side: It is just plain nice ;P
vicarious
I used to dislike the idea of having to wait for pdf's to load before I started using non-Adobe pdf viewers. When I first replaced my OS on my WinTel box with Linux I tried a bunch of pdf viewers as they came with the distro by default as they were open source as opposed to Adobe's closed format. Creation of pdf's has been a non-issue for a long time with built in pdf creation in OpenOffice and othe publishing programs, not to mention the free pdf file conversion websites that abound now adays. As I sometimes deal with a book publisher that prefers pdf for client document submittals (and are more likely to print them correctly) I have gotten used to the fact that pdf's are here to stay, and if you still wait a long time for loading documents, use a different viewer, upgrade your ram or cpu, or get a VPS on a beefed up server and tunnel in. My only question is, with all of the problems previously associated with pdf's overcome with obiquitous and free tools abounding, how long will Adobe be around? Just my two cents. No qualms with Adobe, just like my stuff free, especially when it is better than what others want you to pay for.
Lapinbleu
Adobe? Hmm, I wonder what will become of them... They recently took over (or were taken over by?) Macromedia, so I don't suppose they will go to bed hungry, but, visiting their site at http://www.adobe.com I was surprised to find:

"Your browser (Opera) is not supported by macromedia.com. For the best possible experience, please use the latest version of one of the following browsers:"

And:

"Your browser options are currently set to disable cookies. To use certain areas of macromedia.com, you must enable cookies."

Now, Opera 8.54 used to have an option "Identify as IE, Mozilla, etc" but V9 no longer has it. This is curious - Adobe will not talk to me unless I change browser? And I should not have to pretend I am using an inferior browser. No brownie points there...

My browser accepts cookies, of course - there's no way one could usefully work without them, but only from the page I am visiting. Adobe requires me to accept 8 cookies, several from another server. Third-party cookies are not usually welcome here...

We can but hope that the existence of free, and often better, alternatives will force Adobe and their ilk to smarten up their acts. But then you would have thought that MS would have replaced notepad, surely one of the worst softs ever made, by something more hip, but they haven't.
Arnie
Xpdf is a fine viewer. Foxit for Windows. What's annoying about PDF is that it's often used for documents that you might as well do in HTML.
m00tmuffin
Haha, I thought I was the only one...I hatehatehate PDFs for some reason. They usually choke my system up and make me lag like hell, sometimes to the point where I have to manually (CTRL + ALT + Delete) close whatever browser I'm using because it's become unresponsive due to it trying to boot up Acrobat Reader to read some dinky little .pdf file. I'll try that program mentioned above, though, FoxIt...anything to replace that nasty horrid lag I always experience whenever I try and open a PDF file. ;p Maybe I'll be less biased after trying this out. /wink
cheeta
i hate PDF format while printing... as there is no way of editing so i have print what i may not need... and there is no way of reduceing fonts or edting the margine to reduce the number of pages... Sad

thats the only reason what i dont like about PDF
kd5nrh
Arnie wrote:
Xpdf is a fine viewer. Foxit for Windows. What's annoying about PDF is that it's often used for documents that you might as well do in HTML.

HTML? The problem I have is when they use it for an all-ASCII document, in Courier or Times New Roman. That's what .txt is for, but instead they want to make it into a bloated .pdf.

IMO, it would be entertaining to email them all expressing my displeasure in PostScript Twisted Evil
Donutey
If I remember right one of the worst web design mistakes is overuse of PDFs... It's really annoying when people use it just so they don't have to recode and format documents they've written in word/publisher into HTML...