FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Aerospace Engineering

linexpert
Hi,
I am currently confused between majoring in Aerospace or Civil.
I quit from computer engineering because of alot of outsourcing and such. I need help deciding on a major.
I like Aerospace but according to the Beerau of Labor Statistics:
Quote:
Aerospace engineers are expected to have slower-than-average growth in employment over the projection period. Although increases in the number and scope of military aerospace projects likely will generate new jobs, increased efficiency will limit the number of new jobs in the design and production of commercial aircraft. Even with slow growth, the employment outlook for aerospace engineers through 2014 appears favorable: the number of degrees granted in aerospace engineering declined for many years because of a perceived lack of opportunities in this field, and, although this trend is reversing, new graduates continue to be needed to replace aerospace engineers who retire or leave the occupation for other reasons.

Can someone help me choose one? I really can't decide and need to decide very soon. I would really like it if an aerospace engineer can tell me what he does in a day of work.
thanks
uunter
Well, I'm not an aerospace engineer yet, but on my way to becoming one. I'm a rising senior at Cornell Univerity, majoring in engineering physics, but I'll probably get a Master's or PhD in aerospace. Right now I'm on a satellite-building team (http://www.cusat.cornell.edu), involved in the Attitude Determination & Control and Navigation subsystem, and I'm also doing research on a new form of spacecraft propulsion, funded by the NASA Institute for Advanced Concepts (NIAC).

As it happens, partly because I'm more on the theoretical side of things, partly because I'm still new to it, I spend almost all my time in front of a computer for both of these--for the satellite, I'm running simulations and writing control software, and for the research I'm also running simulations and performing other sorts of data analysis--some of this is pencil-and-paper calculation, too. I also plan out some of the mission ops. Some of my time is spent in meetings, or brainstorming with other team members, and a surprising amount of time is spent communicating with members of other subsystems to work out system-integration problems.

However, a lot of the other guys on the satellite team have more physical, hands-on jobs--designing parts or circuit boards using CAD or ORCAD, machining or soldering those parts/boards, performing tests, finding and buying materials and components, talking to sponsors, etc. There are a lot of very different jobs involved in designing and building a satellite.

Oh yeah, and how could I forget?--Documentation, documentation, documentation. A lot of time is spent recording your results and decisions. That'll be true of any engineering profession, though probably more so in a high-cost, high-risk field like aerospace.

This may sound boring, and sometimes it is, but it's a lot of fun overall.
jwellsy
The civil engineering degree will be a lot more portable.
You can use it anywhere you want to live or move to.
The other path will be a very limited community of companies and locations.
And heaven forbid that something may inadvertanly happen that tarnishes your reputation like maybe a DUI, or a psyco spouse. In the civil field you can overcome those kinds of things a lot easier. In the closer knit aerospace community one small non work related incident can tube your carrear forever.

In the civil field you will have more control and options over your life.

A land surveyer is an example of a civil engineering job
standready
Civil as already noted is more flexible but if you enjoy aerospace go for it. Considering starting out by taking the coures require by both. Do more research into opportunities available in each. Both offer a wide variety.
Good luck!
BTW I am a mechanical .ngineer.
tamilchild
I think aero is much better than civil.
Laughing
sush
Ultimately comes down to personal preference, whether you want to spend your life designing buildings and bridges or turboprops and space shuttles.
damj
It really depends on what you're more interested in. I graduated in 1995 with an aerospace degree, but I also added 5 more classes to pick up a second mechanical degree, and have been working since in mechanical.

If you're concerned about job opportunities, civil is more universal than aerospace, but even with just an aerospace degree, you could still pursue mechanical jobs and play up the similarities between mechical and aerospace. Aerospace is really just a speciality of mechanical engineering.
whansen02
linexpert wrote:
Hi,
I am currently confused between majoring in Aerospace or Civil.
I quit from computer engineering because of alot of outsourcing and such. I need help deciding on a major.
I like Aerospace but according to the Beerau of Labor Statistics:
Quote:
Aerospace engineers are expected to have slower-than-average growth in employment over the projection period. Although increases in the number and scope of military aerospace projects likely will generate new jobs, increased efficiency will limit the number of new jobs in the design and production of commercial aircraft. Even with slow growth, the employment outlook for aerospace engineers through 2014 appears favorable: the number of degrees granted in aerospace engineering declined for many years because of a perceived lack of opportunities in this field, and, although this trend is reversing, new graduates continue to be needed to replace aerospace engineers who retire or leave the occupation for other reasons.

Can someone help me choose one? I really can't decide and need to decide very soon. I would really like it if an aerospace engineer can tell me what he does in a day of work.
thanks

I don't know if you have decided yet ... probably since quite a bit of time has passed since you're post ... either way I hope you decided to follow your passion. Don't put to much weight in statistics. You're better off doing what you love if you can! Will
---------------------------------------------------------------
catia jobs