I am making a image free website. In the future it might have a few, but not alot. While think of this, i was wondering, how much do images affect a websites appearence? For people like me that can make good images and have dial-up, i PREFER no images, but other people disagree...
And i do believe this belongs here, its about how images affect the look and design of you website
yeah, images make websites look far better.Most people come to websites to see images.
I voted 5. Images make your site exactly as good as it is useful.
Images are absolutely good and useful IF they add to and explain the content.
Whereas, excessive or irrelevant images detract from a page - slowing it down, reducing it's usability and confusing and frustrating the user.
Images are as good as they are. That's it.
IMHO, of course.
I do not think websites with too many images are very good.The content is the most important,and the web can look very good with proper design.
I posted 6. A website with less images is basically gonna be like science book. I prefer you put up some flas items than images. flash makes your site more interactive. See to it that total size of page does not exceed some 100kb. Images are for the better.
It completely depends on what kind of website you are creating and who your target audience will be. General rule of thumb is use in moderation. Maybe one banner at the top to make a distinction and 1-2 other images would be a good cap. A more professional site should have fewer images than a leisure/fun site. Huge 800 x 600 images are never good, nor are intricate backgrounds...however, don't shrink them too small...Compress images to the lowest file size at which they can still look how you want them to look and keep images at a medium range when it comes to image size(400x400 is good..etc). A small file size means faster loading time, which is great for people with dial-up. And the most important rule is, keep your images relevant to your content. There's no point in a picture of a cat if your site is about computers
It brings a bit of live in your site
So i give 8
I don't use much images ... just for top banner + background for layers (thats about 45kb for top and ~1,5-2kb for rest) and that's all Images are good only if they fit to page - to many images is not good practic. And i hate lot of animated gifs on pages
I voted 6
A few images can give life to any site. Just don't over use them.
"A picture is worth 1024 words..."
great sentace. I am with you.
I am with images, images are for all reasons...
Images are vital on some sites, irreplaceable, even. How could you explain an electronic circuit without a diagram? However, images are often mis-used.
- Any image larger than the screen is a waste of resources, and will be slow to load - if you want to offer large high-resolution images, put them on a page on their own, and say how big the files are.
- Images are often in a resolution which is wasted on-screen. A .jpeg image at 100% weighs twice or three times as much as at 80%, but the difference is not noticeable...
- Many people make pages and forget that they are reading them from their hard-drive, and not downloading. Go to a friend's house, the café or the library to see how fast the page loads the first time, before it is in the cache. Not everyone has a broadband connection, and in some areas may never get them...
- Many surfers are impatient - if your pages are too long in loading they will go elsewhere.
- Images where necessary - use decent-sized thumbnails, and give your visitors the chance to see the big picture if they choose.