FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

AMAZING spiderman vs. SPECTACULAR SPIDERMAN

kai_guy99
what do you think is better

AMAZING SPIDERMAN by STAN LEE
AMAZING SPIDERMAN by *all the other writers*
SPECTACULAR SPIDERMAN

P.S. Whats up with ULTIMATE SPIDERMAN? Ive heard about it, but i dont know anything about it really? could someone give me an idea?
Scaramanga
kai_guy99 wrote:
what do you think is better

AMAZING SPIDERMAN by STAN LEE
AMAZING SPIDERMAN by *all the other writers*
SPECTACULAR SPIDERMAN

Stan Lee, while he's certainly the creator of a lot of my favourite characters, is a hackneyed writer. His dialogue, while maybe appropriate for the 60s and 70s, is completely corny and melodramatic in any sort of realistic light. And I was a HUGE fan of Amazing, but I did start buying Spectacular when it first came out (I think I still have ish 1.)

Quote:
P.S. Whats up with ULTIMATE SPIDERMAN? Ive heard about it, but i dont know anything about it really? could someone give me an idea?

The Ultimate line are "updates" and/or retellings of a particular series.
Jayfarer
"Ultimate" Spider-Man, as well as all the other Ultimate comic books (Ultimate X-Men, The Ultimates, etc.) are all modern re-imaginings, made to be easier for new readers to get into.

So, Ultimate Spider-Man stars a 15-year-old Peter Parker. Villains are given new, updated origins, like Venom, who is a similarly aged Eddie Brock, who's father worked with Peter's father on a black, cancer-curing suit. Basically, instead of having 50+ years of continuity, they can start from scratch in a present day setting.
kai_guy99
what do you prefer?
the ultimate or the original?
Scaramanga
kai_guy99 wrote:
what do you prefer?
the ultimate or the original?

Well I tend to be more nostalgic for the old school stories, but I HAVE read the Ultimate series (at least the first 5 issues) and I see what they'ye doing, and it's not too bad.
fenfool
I've followed Spidey in many forms for years, I think it's all good...he's such a great character, so easy to identify with, it's tough to go wrong with him (Clone Saga excepted).

*****POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT*****

But I'm not sure about him revealing his identity in the Civil War storyline...I don't think that I can buy him being on that side of it after hiding it for so long. I thought for sure he'd take the other side and go underground. But we'll see where they take it...