FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows 98 with NTFS

DeadX
Is there an program (freeware preferred) to use an NTFS-formatted (external) hd on an windows 98 (se) system ?

I have an laptop with windows 98 se at the moment, I guess I can just install windows 2000 on it (its an celeron 500Mhz, 128mb ram and 10gb hd, used for surfing, video/music playback, ...)

But I also have an old pc that I want to use after I found an 'new' old hd to use in it, but I also want the possibility to use my NTFS-external-disk on it, but it wont run win 2000 at an aceptable level (its an 166Mhz pentium with 32mb ram and an 2gb hd). I don't really need write access, read access will do (normally).
Xeniczone
It is on your windows 98 disk. You need to have dos or something to access it. Just format the hard drive using dos.
{name here}
You can use NTFS4DOS to access it. There are also many file managers that would allow you to do this also.
badai
NTFS4DOS is for DOS. for Win98, use NTFS for Windows 98, also from Sysinternals.

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/NtfsWindows98.html
DeadX
Thanks, I will try those pieces of software.
tamilchild
NTFS Dos software is very usefull for accesssing NTFS partition files

Laughing
wetumka_ok
you might think about nt4.0 I've ran on a pentium 166 64 megs of ram and 2.5 gb harddisk, should work well and has native ntfs support and is rock solid! great os except for Internet Explorer, but firefox will run!
cesarernst
See NTFS Mount Is a Program that Allows Mount ( raead Write) NTFS disk on w98