FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Things against mosquito flies

Jurado
Hello I'm looking for things against mosquito,flies,etc.
You can use of course different kind of Sprays but I don't want to use them.

Somebody any suggestions to get rid of those flies.

Grtzz,
tlambert
An ounty of mine uses hair spray to kill them. She says it works out fine, if they aren't flying away. Yes, she's a smart woman Smile She claims it also works out against spiders.
riv_
I know someone who works in the bush and wears a mixture made from citronella, rosemary and garlic...
Of course, it smells so bad, it keeps the people away too! Shocked
But if the bugs are a little less thick than they are in the deep woods around here (the sound alone will drive a person nuts!) the rosemary and/or citronella should do nicely!
Davidgr1200
Mosquitoes like warmth and moisture - so make sure that there is no standing water nearby. I believe that in Texas they have a law making it illegal to discard hubcaps in the countryside because they can collect water and act as breeding places for mosquitoes.
bluffmango
what is this all about?
godam64
yaou can use special software that you can download to repel mosquito. it will produce a sound through your usual pc speaker that we can't hear with your normal ears. but i think it's not working on all mosquitos. some species may still trying to bite you Smile

the simple way is you can use a mosquito net which you can buy then use it to protect your room or house to blockade the damn flies or mosquito.

the other method is using a mosquito racket that will electrifize the annoying flying bugs like flies and mosquitos. it's up to use to choose the most suitable tools for you. good luck man Wink
HoboPelican
Jurado,

Are you looking for something to kill bugs, stop them from breeding or just keep them away?

If you just want something to keep them away, 'Off!' comes in individual wipes that you open and just rub on yourself. Works for me while camping in really bad areas.
ocalhoun
Living in Florida, I know a thing or two about avoiding mosquitos...
Here's some things you can try
-Citronela candles (Works pretty good, as long as there is little wind)
-Watch what you eat (They are attracted to people who have just eaten sweet things)
-Don't wear purfume (They like sweet smells, too)
-Avoid early mornings and late evenings outside (That's when they are worst)
-Drain or poison standing water (That way you don't provide them a breeding ground)
-Make a bonfire (The smoke helps drive them away)
-Wear clothes that are baggy, but which the bugs can't get underneath. (They can get through clothes, but only so far through)
-If one bites you, delay for a moment before you swat it (that way it is already dug in and can't get out fast enough, letting you kill it. If it gets away, it'l just come back.)

That is besides spraying them and yourself, of course.
The most effective and cost-effective spray I know of is diesel fuel. (Just put it in a sprayer, and it works great on all kinds of bugs. At less than $3 per gallon it's very cheap as bug sprays go.)
HoboPelican
ocalhoun wrote:
Living in Florida, I know a thing or two about avoiding mosquitos...
Here's some things you can try....
The most effective and cost-effective spray I know of is diesel fuel. (Just put it in a sprayer, and it works great on all kinds of bugs. At less than $3 per gallon it's very cheap as bug sprays go.)

Diesel?! Surprised That's the first I ever heard of that. Is that used on stagnant water to kill larvae or just sprayed to kill in an area?

I'm a firm believer in DEET products, mostly the wipes.

BTW- here is a good link on mosquito control. Pretty long article, but skimming is pretty efective if you are just looking for how well different things work.

http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/full/128/11/931

A brief quote from the article about citronelle is interesting.
Quote:
Citronella candles have been promoted as an effective way to repel mosquitoes in the backyard. One study compared the ability of commercially available 3% citronella candles, 5% citronella incense, and plain candles to prevent bites by Aedes mosquitoes under field conditions [94]. Persons near the citronella candles had 42% fewer bites than controls, who had no protection (a statistically significant difference). However, burning ordinary candles reduced the number of bites by 23%. The efficacy of citronella incense and plain candles did not differ. The ability of plain candles to decrease biting may result from their action as a decoy source of warmth, moisture, and carbon dioxide.
THE11thROCK™
Just buy a stinky Mosquito Coil. It sure will beat the crap out of every mosquitoes nearby. Laughing
adiutrix
My cat was the most deadly mosquito killer, he just ate them but then I told him to stop so he did. Nah, I found the best is one of those things u plug into the socket with a little blue tablet or liquid.
HoboPelican
adiutrix wrote:
My cat was the most deadly mosquito killer, he just ate them but then I told him to stop so he did. Nah, I found the best is one of those things u plug into the socket with a little blue tablet or liquid.

Again, something I never heard of...can someone tell me what this is? Not the cat! Wink Wink The thing you plug in the socket with a blue tablet.
dz9c
HoboPelican wrote:
adiutrix wrote:

Again, something I never heard of...can someone tell me what this is? Not the cat! Wink Wink The thing you plug in the socket with a blue tablet.

He means a light that attracts bugs (because of heat and light) and zaps them when they hit it. Leaving a pile of bugs under the light which is usually blue. I cant remember the name of these things...
HoboPelican
dz9c wrote:
HoboPelican wrote:
adiutrix wrote:

He means a light that attracts bugs (because of heat and light) and zaps them when they hit it. Leaving a pile of bugs under the light which is usually blue. I cant remember the name of these things...

I've seen those, it was the blue part that made it sound like some sort of chemical thing.

I don't want ot use a bug zapper as I'm afraid I'd just be attracting them in hordes and only killing some. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Code of Ruin
Everything that smells of lemon works fine. And they are also attracted to to the smell of sweat (strange but true) so make sure you smell fresh before going to bed Laughing
Andrew426
Burn them.

Its way more fun than bugspray.

(you all know how to make a flamethrower out of a lighter and an aerasol can - Im not gonna post instructions because I dont want to be responsable for someone having their hand blown off)
Jurado
Oke thanks for the information, I use a net but then you have to close it well, And it isn't easy in use. Using Diesel bwaah does it smells? You can use electric but when I'm a sleep I can't use it of course. I think i'm going to try some citronella. In some stores you can buy air refreshers with citronella does they work?
Ray Gravin
Ive found that draining every drop of blood from your body before going out into a particularly heavy mosquito burdened area is the most effective way to handle it. They dont take much intrest in you if you don't have blood pumping underneath your skin. Try not breathing too <JK

But seriously ive never had any luck with avoiding them in there natural habitat!
Jurado
Mosquitos really suck ( the female does)
ocalhoun
dz9c wrote:

They're called bug zappers.
They lure bugs with ultraviolet light, then kill them with electricity. You should never use these near where you are being outside; they attract more bugs than they kill.
The_Gamer294
lmao bug zappers are awsome, i can just sit and watch it like a tv. stupid bugs...
hary
ok, I have put a net on my windows so they don't come in. Than I use a spray with no smell and doesn't harm pets. Also, when going somewhere out where are moscitos, I use to spray my self with the same spray. It helps.