FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Screwed Up PC

heady233
Hello, I just setup an old computer that I found in my basement. I used a program my grandpa told me about to fix up the registry (Which was a mess). When I was deleteing something, I clicked the wrong button and deleted all the file extensions. Now when I open anything with it, it says:
Quote:
Windows cannot open this file:

File: (Enter File Name Here)

To open this file, windows needs to know what file created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select it from a list of programes on the computer.

What should I do? I can do anything to the computer because it's mine, but I can't even run System Resore, or Internet Explorer. I can run Search and Control Panel, but that's it. Also, when I right click somewhere under New File it only says
Quote:
Folder
Shortcut
-------------

What should I do?

EDIT: I'm giving 20 FRIH$ to the person who can figure it out before I reinstall windows.
LukeakaDanish
HOW ON EARTH did you manage to delete the extensions file??? Very Happy - i didnt think windows would even let you delete that...

My tip is - use another computer to find the correct file on the internet and hope it works with your computer - or just reinstall windows - if its a computer you got from your basement it sounds like there is nothing wirth keeping on it anyway so reinstalling shouldnt be a problem.

Dont worry - installing windows isnt actually very difficult

- Luke
Sunny
Hmm I am thinking if you export HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT from another pc and merge it to your registry (by doubleclicking), most of the extensions will start working? I've not tested this so if you want to give a try, make sure you take a back up of registry first.

Also when it gives a popup with option "use web to find appropiate program" you can choose "select a program from list" then select appropriate program for that extension and check "always use the selected program" so from next time it should not ask for that extension.
heady233
Sunny wrote:
Hmm I am thinking if you export HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT from another pc and merge it to your registry (by doubleclicking), most of the extensions will start working? I've not tested this so if you want to give a try, make sure you take a back of registry first.

Also when it gives a popup with option "use web to find appropiate program" you can choose "select a program from list" then select appropriate program for that extension and check "always use the selected program" so from next time it should not ask for that extension.
I tried adding it and it gave me an error saying it can't access the registry. Any more suggestions?
steveadams617
Hi. Before I jump in here, I wanted to ask for a few points of clarification.

1) What version of windows are you running?
2) Do you have windows install disk and software activation key for that version?
3) Are there files on this computer that you need to save?
4) Do you have another computer that is the tower type that would have a slot for a second hard drive?
5) Do you have another computer that is capable of burning a cd-rom?
6) Will the computer in question boot from a cd-rom? (some really old computer can't)
7) Have you tried starting in Safe Mode?
Eight) Do you have a disk that came with the computer that will re-install everything the way it was out of the box - emergency repair disk
9) What is the processor type, RAM and hard disk size of the broken computer?

Hope this list isn't too overwhelming, but thought it would be easier to ask it all upfront..

I do NOT agree that re-installing the operating system is easy - especially if it's an older computer with off-brand modems, nic cards, sound cards or video cards. I MIGHT be very easy or it MIGHT be a nightmare.

Notice that #8 above is written out. When I put in a numeral there, it made a smiley face. Smile

Thanks
anthonygerbils
you could format windows or use its repair feature to load up all the extensions and then load the other stuff on will take time but it will work
heady233
anthonygerbils wrote:
you could format windows or use its repair feature to load up all the extensions and then load the other stuff on will take time but it will work
how do you use the repair feature?
munkey_boy
Shocked I would simply formatt, got anything on there important, coz if you dont just formatt.
heady233
munkey_boy wrote:
Shocked I would simply formatt, got anything on there important, coz if you dont just formatt.
Okay, how do you format it, I have the Windows XP CD sitting right next to me, and it has the Product Key in it.
IceCreamTruck
What about system restore points?

Have you checked to see if anyone added a last working configuration system restore point. If so you could just back up to that point and go from there. I find it hard to believe that your registry editor didn't create a system restore point when it started. Those kinds of programs are notorious for killing someone's system, so they often create system restore points without even asking if you want to or not.

Check into this. Either reopen the offending program and see what it says, or go to start >> programs >> accessories >> system tools >> system restore. If there is a restore point there go for it!! and don't forget to donate the fri$, lol!! Laughing

Seriouly hope this helps! I care more about you getting back up and working than fri$
heady233
IceCreamTruck wrote:
What about system restore points?

Have you checked to see if anyone added a last working configuration system restore point. If so you could just back up to that point and go from there. I find it hard to believe that your registry editor didn't create a system restore point when it started. Those kinds of programs are notorious for killing someone's system, so they often create system restore points without even asking if you want to or not.

Check into this. Either reopen the offending program and see what it says, or go to start >> programs >> accessories >> system tools >> system restore. If there is a restore point there go for it!! and don't forget to donate the fri$, lol!! Laughing

Seriouly hope this helps! I care more about you getting back up and working than fri$
That was a great idea, but I cannot get to the System Restore window.
IceCreamTruck
You can run system restore from the command line!!!

boot your computer in safe mode [f8] at boot time, and then open command prompt by typing command in the "run" window on start menu or by browsing to the command.exe

enter this in the command window

Code:
c:\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

that should bring up the system restore console! hope it works.

Note: you could also browse to that directory and double-click the .exe file and it should open. Hope it doesn't ask you how to run it, cause i'm stumped.
heady233
IceCreamTruck wrote:
You can run system restore from the command line!!!

boot your computer in safe mode [f8] at boot time, and then open command prompt by typing command in the "run" window on start menu or by browsing to the command.exe

enter this in the command window

Code:
c:\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

that should bring up the system restore console! hope it works.

Note: you could also browse to that directory and double-click the .exe file and it should open. Hope it doesn't ask you how to run it, cause i'm stumped.
It says

Quote:
Windows cannot open this file:

File: rstrui.exe

To open this file, windows needs to know what file created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select it from a list of programes on the computer.
IceCreamTruck
Can you go online and look it up? it's an .exe file!!! That is frustrating.
heady233
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Can you go online and look it up? it's an .exe file!!! That is frustrating.
Nope, I don't have the intenet on that PC.
IceCreamTruck
go to the following page on restoring .exe file handling

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/exefile.htm

if you are able to complete this process, then you could execute the sytem restore and go back to the last good configuration.

This will at least help you keep your drivers intact. My other advice is just to reinstall the OS. If you look up your computer online you should be able to download all the drivers and get it back up good as new pretty quick, otherwise you need to figure out how to rework the registry via the link above.

Like I said you need to do a system restore anyway because you don't know what else you messed up in the registry.
heady233
IceCreamTruck wrote:
go to the following page on restoring .exe file handling

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/exefile.htm

if you are able to complete this process, then you could execute the sytem restore and go back to the last good configuration.

This will at least help you keep your drivers intact. My other advice is just to reinstall the OS. If you look up your computer online you should be able to download all the drivers and get it back up good as new pretty quick, otherwise you need to figure out how to rework the registry via the link above.

Like I said you need to do a system restore anyway because you don't know what else you messed up in the registry.
okay, the page didn't help, did you get my PM?
IceCreamTruck
Quote:
If you're unable to launch Regedit.exe even from Command Prompt, try this:

copy regedit.exe regedit.com
regedit.com

Alternately, you may download fixreg.com from Grisoft.com site and run it. This utility fixes the exefile association in the registry automatically.

I've quoted the last part of that page and it might help you run the registry editor. if you can't run the regedit, then you have no choice but to reformat...me and a friend both agreed on that. Regedit is going to be the only way to correct the problem in the registry, and if that option isn't open or you dont' try the fix above
heady233
Almost Everyone wrote:
Okay, you have told me what to do. I shall reformat the computer. But there's one little problem, I don't know how. The computer has Windows XP installed on it, and I have the disks next to me. I just don't know how to do it. Also, everyone who posted a new solution will split the 20 $FRIH. But first I need to reformat it.
IceCreamTruck
boot the computer with the disks in in the cd-rom drive. press any key when press key to boot from cd screen comes up, and follow the on screen menus

one thing to keep in mind. delete the old partitions, set up everything in a new partition (sounds hard, it's easy read menus), and make sure that new partition is NTFS, and not FAT file system. This will allow you to encrypt files if you want, and NTFS is a lot more stable. It should do this be default, but make sure it makes the file system NTFS (new tech file system)

once the computer is back up and running, go online with it or another computer with a burner, and download all the drivers that are availible for your system on the manufacturers website (eg. dell, gateway, compaq and your model number) should be a list of video, soundcard, chip-set/motherboard, and maybe a few other drivers.

Once that is done CREATE A SYSTEM RESTORE POINT start >> programs >> accessories >> system tools >> system restore and this will prevent the same issue as before from becoming a problem.

Well, learn as you go cause this will be a good lesson for you on what it takes to set up a system.

Fell free to post questions here, I will check back tomorrow.

GOOD LUCK, and sorry you were not able to fix current configuration, but to tell you the truth you don't really want everything someone else installed on a computer if it is truly going to be your computer. At least this way you will OWN the computer completely.

SORRY ABOUT YOUR LUCK, but i'm here if you need me!! I will check back
heady233
IceCreamTruck wrote:
boot the computer with the disks in in the cd-rom drive. press any key when press key to boot from cd screen comes up, and follow the on screen menus

one thing to keep in mind. delete the old partitions, set up everything in a new partition (sounds hard, it's easy read menus), and make sure that new partition is NTFS, and not FAT file system. This will allow you to encrypt files if you want, and NTFS is a lot more stable. It should do this be default, but make sure it makes the file system NTFS (new tech file system)

once the computer is back up and running, go online with it or another computer with a burner, and download all the drivers that are availible for your system on the manufacturers website (eg. dell, gateway, compaq and your model number) should be a list of video, soundcard, chip-set/motherboard, and maybe a few other drivers.

Once that is done CREATE A SYSTEM RESTORE POINT start >> programs >> accessories >> system tools >> system restore and this will prevent the same issue as before from becoming a problem.

Well, learn as you go cause this will be a good lesson for you on what it takes to set up a system.

Fell free to post questions here, I will check back tomorrow.

GOOD LUCK, and sorry you were not able to fix current configuration, but to tell you the truth you don't really want everything someone else installed on a computer if it is truly going to be your computer. At least this way you will OWN the computer completely.

SORRY ABOUT YOUR LUCK, but i'm here if you need me!! I will check back
press key to boot from cd screen never came up
Indyan
heady233 wrote:
press key to boot from cd screen never came up

Enter your BIOS. Generally the shortcut is Delete Key. It should be mentioned while your computer is starting.
Look around for the setting which allows you to set the boot device priority.
Set you cd-rom as 1st boot device.
Restart, with the cd inside the cd-rom.
heady233
The 5 FRIH$ Winners

Okay, the only people that posted a reply that was NOT already posted were:

Indyan
    LukeakaDanish
    Sunny
    IceCreamTruck

The reason you get 5 FRIH$ is that 20÷4=5. I will be sending each of you 5 $FRIH shortly.
Indyan
thanks a lot heady Smile
heady233
Indyan wrote:
thanks a lot heady Smile
You're welcome. Also, dod you get my PM?

P.S. Will a moderator close this topic?