FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Please explain CS

munkey_boy
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me about CS(counter strike) and whats the difference between CS and CS:S and CS: Zero Hour and what steam is. Thanks.
LukeakaDanish
The main difference between CS and CS:S is that CS:S is newer and therefor has better graphics. (there is no "cs:zero hour" - zero hour is an expansion for C&C (command and conquer))

CS (known as CS 1.6) is however cheeper and the gameplay is arguably better.

If you are a n00b (you sortoff seem like one Very Happy) CS:S will be better for you because the skill level of the other players in general is lower in CS:S - not that there arent any 1337 players though Very Happy
Dragate
LukeakaDanish wrote:
CS (known as CS 1.6) is however cheeper and the gameplay is arguably better.

If you are a n00b (you sortoff seem like one Very Happy) CS:S will be better for you because the skill level of the other players in general is lower in CS:S - not that there arent any 1337 players though Very Happy

That is only a little bit... little bit true... I like how you used arguably so I'm going to aruge... the game play is not taht much reduced, it's just like compared to the graphics, the gameplay seems to decrease...

By the way... it does not matter what type of CS you start off with even if you are a noob esecially seeing the fact that many people, after playing source, will only complain about the graphics of 1.6... I say you do 1.6 first get used to it and then say how good source is ;D
darth_revan
well, cs:source is using the source engine. It has better physics and graphics, Grenades are thrown better...

after cs 1.5, they tried to change the graphics. With the support of CS: condition zero, they made 1.6. CZ is a single player game. It's fun to play, if you like FPSs.

anyway, if you want a good online FPS, i reccomend tribes. Starsiege: tribes and Tribes: vengeance are good, starsiege is free to play. I think you should check it out...
munkey_boy
Sorry everyone i got a bit confused, i ment condition zero cuz i was just playing zero hour when i wrote that, man i got owned......
cghq
yeah, could somebody please explain to me what "steam" is as well?
LukeakaDanish
cghq wrote:
yeah, could somebody please explain to me what "steam" is as well?

Steam is a program which lets you manage, update, buy, install, remove etc. the games which they support. These games are mostly valve games (halflife , cs, dod, etc.) but they have started to support more games now.

Steam is also the application which you use to connect to other servers and play online (although it appears to be your game doing it, it is actually steam Very Happy)
faker_phil
LukeakaDanish wrote:
These games are mostly valve games (halflife , cs, dod, etc.) but they have started to support more games now.

Nope, It's only Valve games and their mods (That's probably what you meant with more games).
LukeakaDanish
faker_phil wrote:
LukeakaDanish wrote:
These games are mostly valve games (halflife , cs, dod, etc.) but they have started to support more games now.

Nope, It's only Valve games and their mods (That's probably what you meant with more games).

As far as i know, games like darwinia, shadowgrounds, red orchestra and SIN emergence are not MODS for HL1.6 or HL2

That was what i meant by other games
bonestorm74
Steam is all of those things but probably more importantly it is the way Valve copy protects its games. Steam has proven to be quite an effective way to combat pirates, even though it has been cracked (like everything).

Steam games are not necessarily made by Valve. As someone said above, Valve is allowing other developers to use Steam as a method of distribution and copy protection - and advertising. Think of how many people log onto Steam every day for CS, DoD, HL2 etc and see the 'coming soon' screens advertising new games through Steam.
Th3St1ck
CS is counter strike 1.6

CS:S is counter strike source

CS:CZ is counter strike condition zero

they are pretty much the same game, but with diffrent graphics and things like that

Steam is a game client...
it is made by a company called valve
Valve produces many games like CS, HL2, and more
Steam is basically and easy way for Valve to get products to consumers
evilryu530
cs is probably the best game, i've ever played, spent many hours while in college dorm plalying it, even had my own avatars, clan , made my own map, etc... damn that game is tight, what the hell is steam now a days? and all that other junk? i remember just installing the game typing in my hacked cd key and playing,
exarkun
I love cs the best. Always go lan shop to play against my friends. Condition Zero is more of a mission-based type of game.
darth_revan
Valve had the idea of making CS offline. Bots werent enough, they wanted a real FPS.
CSCZ, counter strike: condition zero, had many problems at first. More than two game studios were applied to do it, in different times. None succeeded. Then Valve decided not to rely on the game, giving the rights to a unknown studio.
Then CSCZ was offically released. The game wasn't bad maybe, but i didnt like it.

Anyway, CSCZ is a single player game, normally. But CS is totally online.
m_furquan36
I never quite understood why people enjoy CS so much. Not to offend anyone, but the graphics aren't too great, physics aint to amazing either and a lot of pointless shooting...Anyone care to explain why thousands of people enjoy it so much?
eightbitpyro13
Counter strike is less laggy but more hackers you kinda need to have your own server to have a hacker free game

ive never played condtion zero

CSS is lagger and its easyer to kill i dont like it very much all the old school pros play cs 1.6 and if anyof yall play it coem to my server ip is in my signature!!!
Insanity
I think the progression is CS 1.6 -> CS: Condition Zero -> CS: Source. Whatever you make out of that,
simtom
Start with CS source man! What's the point in playing a game with totally out dated graphics, when you can play one with brilliant graphics and that's getting updated very often, with new maps out every month!
redyns3535
cs:s is better
darth_revan
m_furquan36 wrote:
I never quite understood why people enjoy CS so much. Not to offend anyone, but the graphics aren't too great, physics aint to amazing either and a lot of pointless shooting...Anyone care to explain why thousands of people enjoy it so much?

CS is easy to play, and is joy for everyone. When you play a RTS, you THINK! you dont think in CS, just buy a gun, and try to flank and kill the enemy. its all. there is no thinking, no strategy. Only action. Its a simple game, and thats why its so popular.
Hogwarts
Cs 1.6 is the better of them I think. Although the graphics are not the greatest for todays standards it rocks to play it. Also, at only $20 (AU) what reason have you got NOT to try it? There are also more mods and players for it.

Cs zero is good, but it isn't that popular in comparison to either of its brothers. It has good gameplay and graphics, but HL2 was one of the main reasons that people got source I think. This game had great potential and the CS: Zero Deleted Scenes was fun to play but.. There are not enough players to make this worth while. (There are no where near as many people on this as there are on Source/1.6)

Cs Source is the newest of the cs games and it has the best graphics. A few changes in the game too but nothing too major - This was all about the graphics. Also, there are more maps for this.

I suggest you start with 1.6. The gameplay in all of them is pretty much the same and the only real difference is the graphics. The price also rocks for this.
clownFart
I would recomend cs: s, because of the source engine. its way more relistic and therefor more fun. same for the graphics. and its only 20 bucks.

darth_revan wrote:
m_furquan36 wrote:

CS is easy to play, and is joy for everyone. When you play a RTS, you THINK! you dont think in CS, just buy a gun, and try to flank and kill the enemy. its all. there is no thinking, no strategy. Only action. Its a simple game, and thats why its so popular.

wtf are you talking about you stupid fag? I would own you so bad! like in any game there IS strategy. With out tactics your just like a bot.

its not popular because of stupidity, but the comunities. when you kill someone, you get addicted, its a drug, you can stop, the need to play, to kill, itll never stop, never die.

examples of this:
smoking,
crack,
alcohol,
WOW.
Timoses
Lol.
A drug.
Cs:S is fun and easier to play than CS1.6 he. I have 1.6 because I always die..
jeffleo
I've only played CS 1.6 before and I find it OK to play. Die too easily though hahas. Makes the human seem so vulnerable ( we are ).
Hogwarts
jeffleo wrote:
I've only played CS 1.6 before and I find it OK to play. Die too easily though hahas. Makes the human seem so vulnerable ( we are ).

But thats realism. You cannot expect us to take 100 bullets before we die, even with armour. It's inhuman man. It would be nice if you got shot in the legs you limped and there were blood trails, bandages and stuff. Add some strategy.
jmudreamscape
m_furquan36 wrote:

I haven't found a better FPS game to play online. I like DOD, but CS just gives you more options. I enjoy what it brings.
gothicgeek
Hogwarts wrote:
But thats realism. You cannot expect us to take 100 bullets before we die, even with armour. It's inhuman man. It would be nice if you got shot in the legs you limped and there were blood trails, bandages and stuff. Add some strategy.

Try America's Army, free game made by the Army, you take 2 direct hits, and you're either dead or bleeding out. There are also different stages of being wounded, the worse you are, the slower you move and the harder it is to aim your gun. Oh, another realilistic thing is that bandages stop bleeding but DON'T somehow heal gaping bullet wounds.
darth_revan
clownFart wrote:

wtf are you talking about you stupid fag? I would own you so bad! like in any game there IS strategy. With out tactics your just like a bot.

Calm down Smile

first, do you think flashpoint and CS is the same? no! in Flashpoint, if you dont think, you die! its that easy. You need a cover, you cannot just face the enemy.

CS is like "the one who fires first wins". You dont need to be talented. Just aim the head, and kill..

But lots of other FPSs offer more, they're way too complex. Thats why people select CS.

And, about thinking, in CS, you think too. But you think like that "oh damn, all of my teammates are dead now... Lemme look at the scoreboard" -press tab- "oh that X guy is still alive. He often uses snipers. I'd better have a look at there..." You just say that.
Scaramanga
darth_revan wrote:
clownFart wrote:

Calm down Smile

first, do you think flashpoint and CS is the same? no! in Flashpoint, if you dont think, you die! its that easy. You need a cover, you cannot just face the enemy.

CS is like "the one who fires first wins". You dont need to be talented. Just aim the head, and kill..

But lots of other FPSs offer more, they're way too complex. Thats why people select CS.

And, about thinking, in CS, you think too. But you think like that "oh damn, all of my teammates are dead now... Lemme look at the scoreboard" -press tab- "oh that X guy is still alive. He often uses snipers. I'd better have a look at there..." You just say that.

OK, first off, I wish you people would stop saying "strategy". None of these games have strategy, they have TACTICS. There's a pronounced difference between the two. Secondly, I'm going to have to agree with the dude who took you to task for saying that there's no thinking or tactics (not strategy) in CS. There's a buttload. You can't just walk around shooting things willy nilly, especially not if you're playing against experienced players, and on a good map. Yes sniping is prevalent, hence you should try to move from cover to cover and figure out the best way to flank your opponent(s). Sounds like thinking and tactics to me. Rolling Eyes
jmudreamscape
And he's talking more about pubs than actual team-based CS, which is another beast all together.
clownFart
darth_revan wrote:
clownFart wrote:

Calm down Smile

Man you suck so bad. If you've ever played an organized scrim, you lost. With out tactics or "thinking", it like your playing as bots and the other team is like S.W.A.T. If I ever play you, you'll have no chance.
TSpiralP
well from my expirience, CS 1.6 is a bit harder than source, due to less physics play. source is much easier to move around in, while 1.6 is much slower. yeah for example from above its competitive too
darth_revan
well, i still claim that CS dont have the tactics that other multiplayer FPSs have.

And, what tactics?! "oh, its cs_assault, i have to use the backdoor" or "damn, that guy plays way too good, i have to aim to the head" Those arent tactics.

Ever played Battlefield? If you go with a tank, you're dead. You have to do something not to get killed by a airplane. And if you play the "lone wolf", and ignore your teammates, your team is dead too.
I'm not expecting you to understand that, till you stop playing CS and play BF in good servers...
clownFart
darth_revan wrote:
well, i still claim that CS dont have the tactics that other multiplayer FPSs have.

And, what tactics?! "oh, its cs_assault, i have to use the backdoor" or "damn, that guy plays way too good, i have to aim to the head" Those arent tactics.

Ever played Battlefield? If you go with a tank, you're dead. You have to do something not to get killed by a airplane. And if you play the "lone wolf", and ignore your teammates, your team is dead too.
I'm not expecting you to understand that, till you stop playing CS and play BF in good servers...

i cant belive you play any fps, just because cs doesnt have vehicle it doesnt mean there cant be tactics, and not taking the tank istnt a tactic either...

"Military tactics is the collective name for methods of engaging and defeating an enemy in battle."- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_tactics

...Every fps has tactics and strategy! Me shooting your face is a tactic.

Heres a list of tactics that aply to cs

Principles

Concentration of effort
Economy of Force
Deception
Use of fortifications
Use and improvement of terrain
Protection
Natural barriers

Small Unit Tactics

Fire and movement or "pepperpotting"
Patrolling
* Reconnaissance Patrol
* Fighting Patrol
* Standing Patrol (OP/LP)
Ambush
* Linear Ambush
* 'L' Ambush
* Area Ambush

Offensive tactics

Ambush
Skirmish
Divide and Conquer

Defensive tactics

Depth
Mutual Support
All round defence
Counter attack
Delaying Defence
Break contact

Deception

Stealth
Camouflage
Use of surprise
* Parthian shot
* Hit-and-run tactics
* Irregular warfare
for more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_military_tactics

and for strategy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_strategy
faker_phil
clownFart wrote:

Use of fortifications
Protection
Patrolling
* Reconnaissance Patrol
* Fighting Patrol
Stealth
Camouflage

How do these apply to CS 1.6? I am a passionate CS player, but I have to agree with darth_revan on this one. Besides, I play BF2, too. And there is way more tactics in it than in CS. Just look at the squad support and commander mode.
clownFart
faker_phil wrote:
clownFart wrote:

Use of fortifications
Protection
Patrolling
* Reconnaissance Patrol
* Fighting Patrol
Stealth
Camouflage

How do these apply to CS 1.6? I am a passionate CS player, but I have to agree with darth_revan on this one. Besides, I play BF2, too. And there is way more tactics in it than in CS. Just look at the squad support and commander mode.

Use of fortifications - hide behinde shi t
Protection - buy armor
Patrolling - patroling the area( obviously )
* Reconnaissance Patrol
* Fighting Patrol
Stealth - walk instead of run
Camouflage - choosing the right player model for the level

these aply to both CS1.6 and CS: S

anymore questions?

P.S. I play BF2 too
Maryndor
Wooow! I am reading an Counter-Strike memoaris... or may be something more like tutorials Smile
Unfortunately the 5v5 gameing is also pretty seamless. There is tactics, but more useing some strange physical bugs Razz than trying to act as in the Wikipedia quotes Smile Just the game limits that.
IMHO there's pretty much possibility to have a team strategy BF2:SF than CS. So watch out the movies in your head, don't be so fancy. Very Happy