FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problem with a new motherboard

TheGeek
So the only thing i can narrow this down to is the bios of my motherboard and here is the problem.

I boot up and it says during the boot sequence that ntdlr (or something similar) is missing and then asks me to reboot the machine.

What is going on here and how can i fix it?

Im using a DFI LanParty UT board if that helps any
ezekiel_rage
TheGeek wrote:
So the only thing i can narrow this down to is the bios of my motherboard and here is the problem.

I boot up and it says during the boot sequence that ntdlr (or something similar) is missing and then asks me to reboot the machine.

What is going on here and how can i fix it?

Im using a DFI LanParty UT board if that helps any

As i far as i can tell, there is nothing wrong with your motherboard.

That problem has more to do with your OS, I'm pretty sure you are using a Windows NT variant, Windows Xp perhaps?

The problem is due to the fact that the boot loader of your OS cant find the ntldr.exe. this file is needed by windows to boot.

a few questions first,

when you replaced your motherboard, did you installed your hard drive to its original position as when it was installed in your old motherboard.

Was it originally installed as Primary Master?

It could be that the boot configuration (boot.ini) can't locate the files Windows needs to boot.

You can try to boot your machine using your windows CD and then go to the Recovery console.

From there edit the file boot.ini, confirem that all the paths are correct.

If that doesn't resolve the issue.

Reboot again in the recovery console using your Windows XP CD, and from the console try issuing the commands fixboot and see if that resolves the problem.

One sure way to resolve this issue is to re-install your OS.

My 2 cents. hpe this helps
badai
when u change yout motherboard, u have to reinstall your OS. did u do that?
TheGeek
yes i re-installed my OS twice thanks to this error, before i figured out that i could just pop in the boot disk and let it time out on the boot disk.

My hard drives are in the same configuration that they were in my old machine. I wiped the drive with my OS on it and re-formatted and re-installed. The only thing that is left original from my last setup was my backup hard drive, but that should really effect it should it?

You may also be interested to know that i have gotten this error with both installs of win2k and winxp as well as with the original install of xp that was on here from the previous hardware.
badai
check in bios which hardisk is the first hardisk (u may need to set which hardisk to be the first)

then u use cd to install right? it managed to install, then it restart. is this when u get the error?
Xeniczone
That isn't a bios issue.

Put it plain and simple I have ran into this problem 2 times.

Trying to install an older Microsoft OS (95, 9Cool on a newer computer.

Having no or a corrupted Operating system on the hard drive. Even having no hard drive would do this.
psycosquirrel
Wasn't this issue resolved last night when we installed Windows 2000?

You are able to boot off one of the Windows discs I let you borrow, so it can't be the BIOS.

Worse come worse, you can just reformat both discs and reinstall. Remember how the partition with data was unrecognisable by Win2000 yesterday? That may be the source of the error. I doubt it is the BIOS, as Xenic said...
TheGeek
yea, im gunna try the fixboot thing tomorrow and check the boot order.

Dave, I think it had something to do with you screwing around with my jumpers because it never did this untill we got messing around with those...then again before we started messing around with it...it didnt work period...
sush
Use the windows CD to get into recovery console and type fixmbr (fixboot?). Your OS loader is missing, there's nothing wrong with the BIOS. Good luck Smile
tamilchild
psycosquirrel wrote:
Wasn't this issue resolved last night when we installed Windows 2000?

You are able to boot off one of the Windows discs I let you borrow, so it can't be the BIOS.

Worse come worse, you can just reformat both discs and reinstall. Remember how the partition with data was unrecognisable by Win2000 yesterday? That may be the source of the error. I doubt it is the BIOS, as Xenic said...

Check the Bios battery and clean install the OS
prozacnation
I used to have the exact same problem with my old computer. I never tried flashing the bios but i found that it did this when ever my keyboard was not attached. I have a usb keyboard and the problem was resolved by using a usb to ps/2 adaptor. In the system32 folder i found that the file it claimed was missing was there and intact, there must be a conflict in xp that occurs occassionally with motherboards.
tamilchild
I have one solution..

Please follow these steps to solve this problem: Insert the Windows XP CD into your CD-ROM drive and reboot your system from the Windows XP CD.

Just press any key while it prompts, "Press any key to boot from the CD". Now the Windows setup will start and bring you the `welcome to setup' screen.
Press `R' key to get into repair option. This will open the Recovery Console. The list of windows installation will be displayed. Log into your windows installation by pressing the `1' key (choose the relevant number if you have multiple OS installed). You will then be prompted for your administrator password. Please enter that password. Next copy the two files below to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the example below, we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter `F'. In both lines, please replace the `F' with the drive letter of your CD-ROM.

Copy f:\i386\ntldr c:\

Copy f:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

Once both of these files have been successfully copied, please remove the CD from the computer and reboot the system. This should solve your problem. However, if the problem persists, it is possible that your system's hard disk may have a corrupt boot sector and/or master boot record. To solve this, you will have to enter into the recovery console that is described above. Here you may run the fixboot and fixmbr commands.