FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

website timing out a little too often!

IceCreamTruck
OK, i'm not complaining about what I get for free, but my website didn't used to time out so often, and I want to know what has changed.

Seems like my website is timing out and I'm not getting the page every other request to the home page or any page from my site. I've enginered the pages to be small, so i know it's not my pages being too big, and I know it's not the ads because the page will partially load if the ads are hanging, and I've seen that a lot and I know it's the ads from google being slow. The problem I'm talking about is the page timing out all together and it's happening a lot more than when I first came to frihost

I like the service, and have really enjoyed it, but I would like to make sure that some people aren't abusing the server causing other people's pages to time out.

Can someone look into this problem alittle. I don't know why it's happening, but I would assume that maybe someone has a home page that is a few magabites in size, or someone is letting people download large files/movies or something that is killing the availible bandwidth.

Just so we are clear I'm just curious why this is happening more and more lately. I am not upset! I just want to know if something is happening. Just pointing out that something has changed and it is probably effecting more people than just me.

No rush, but please look into this and see what's up.
devroom
Dude. There are a lot of people of server 2. so if there are much requests to many sites it goes slower.
And not every bug can be fixed immediately
If u want "better" hosting go pay.
Scorpio
Dude look at this
Quote:

i'm not complaining about what I get for free, but my website didn't used to time out so often, and I want to know what has changed.

He just wants to know the details, which is right on his part

Free or not, it is essential to know what causes the problem

for e.g if bondings did not know about this, then he may never rectify it if it can be done so
mOrpheuS
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Seems like my website is timing out and I'm not getting the page every other request to the home page or any page from my site.

Surprising how I have never had a timeout on server 2. Confused
But that's perhaps due to the difference in timezone.

Can you please give us the approximate time that you notice this happening ?
Bondings
The server load is quite good at the moment. About the bandwidth, the server is on a 10Mbps port and the full capacity is never used, so that's certainly not the problem either.

With timing out you mean getting a blank page after like 20-30 seconds? If that's the case then it is most likely in your page generating a lot of cpu-load. This is certainly not because the page size is too big, but rather because of the mysql queries and coding. Could you show us/me the page/website in question? Otherwise it's pretty hard to determine the problem.
sceptileex
Havent been getting the problem, and FYI everyone has limited bandwith. Youw ont last over a day if you let people download movies that are gigs big.
Bondings
sceptileex wrote:
Havent been getting the problem, and FYI everyone has limited bandwith. Youw ont last over a day if you let people download movies that are gigs big.

Of course everything is limited, what I meant is that we are currently way under the limit (at any time) so that is certainly not the problem.
IceCreamTruck
Thanks for your responses! I certainly DO NOT want to seem like i'm complaining, and I've told bondings personally that his service rocks...nuff said.

This is just an issue that I wanted people to take a closer look at, and if you could go to my website at http://space.frih.net and see if you get a time-out that would be great.

Today has cleared up alittle. Yesterday and the day before it was really starting to worry me though. My pages are pretty small, and I'm on broadband cable so I was just wanting some people who have more control to take a look at this.

I was simply bringing attention to an issue that i've noticed was becoming a little bit of a problem, but today was much better, and I didn't time out as often.

I'm checking the computers on my local network for viruses and spywear that could be causing packages to be lost in translation out of my network, but I wanted to know if max band width had been hit on the server and the answer was no, so I will continue debugging the issue on my end.

Thanks again for responding to this topic!
IceCreamTruck
I just thought of something I might be doing that others are not doing.

Server Side Includes. (eg. <!--Include Virtual=""--> to include header/footer files)

Do you think this might be causing the time-out? It has happened on every page at one time or another, and I know for a fact that IE 7 is some of the issue so I've been using Opera and Firefox a little more while developing.

Also, it was happening all day, and not just in peek hours.

Once again I didn't timeout at all today that I noticed, so what ever was causing the problem has seemed to have stopped for the moment. I will continue to debug the issue.

PS no viruses found on the two computers that are on my router (using AVAST)
Bondings
I don't think it has anything to do with SSI.

There might have been something wrong with the connection somewhere between you and the server. That's all I can think of at the moment. Let's hope it doesn't happen again. Confused
IceCreamTruck
I haven't changed anything. I've run antivirus, but it didn't find anything. I'm not doing anything different except switching back and forth from opera to IE 7 alittle more, and would you know that I'm not having the same problem!!

It's been two days now and everything seems a.o.k. and I'm stumped. I was worried that my users were experiencing the same problem, but everyone who has replied says the server is ok, and sure enough it is.

I don't know what changed, but it was getting really bad there for a moment. I'm sorry I even brought up the issue now, cause I'm not experiencing this issue any more either. hmmmm, go figure.

Bondings...lock the topic or remove it. It's not worth the attention any more. Thanks for the concern though, and I will let you know if it happens a lot once again, but for now this is a non-issue.

PS. I still think it's a great service, and I'm not going anywhere!! Why would I go somewhere else and pay for a lesser service? I'm not! Shame on you
Bondings
Ok, well pm a moderator/admin if this happens again and/or you want this thread to be reopened.
-locked-