FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

RANDOM QUESTION: Online Identites..

quartnee
I know this is a random question, but I was wondering if anyone finds that they have different "online" identites? I ask this because I was looking through some old sites that I haven't updated in a long while and noticed how many different user/handle/nicknames I had and on top of that, for each name there was a distinct personality.

An example is this one username I had, Kamiqaze (i know it's spelled wrong). It's seems when I used kamiqaze I sounded like a cynical philospher, weird I know, but true. As I looked around I noticed a pattern, and this is also true of some friends of mine. In real life they are one of the popular if not the most popular person, but if you meet them online they sound like some depressed outcast that had no friends.

Basically, my question is that does anybody find that thier online identity is different from the real one? and if so, why?
Saber
I know what you mean. In my past that has happened and it never was something that I did consciously. I noticed I would adapt my "character" to what would make me stand out, or also sometimes I would share an account with someone and I would act more like they would.

But when I noticed that I realized that that wasnt who I was and have made a conscious effort in making sure that when I play games, talk on aim(or other messengers), or post that I post/talk/etc like I would in real life. I have found that its sometimes hard, but It makes me feel like Im not living a fake second life.

In some of my attemts to be myself I have kept one username instead up making a new one for everything I did. Also if you ever do want(or bump into them and find out the "hard" way that you have been online friends) to meet someone, that A. you feel better aobut being your self, and B. they dont have a different person in mind.

(yah.. my comment about bumping into them... I was on a bus and started talking to the guy next to me because I saw that he was listening to some of the same music I listen to. After talking a while we foudn out that we both played the same game and after a while we both realized that we had "known" each other for more than a year on the online world.... we both were semi shocked becuase the real person was a lot different than the online... thats when I started being more myself.)
myrevolt
As I have been told Rolling Eyes I tend to be more vocal online than in the real world. Further I tend to have an authority with online matters among my real world friends Wink
Code of Ruin
My online identity isn't really different from my normal one. Some people like me, some people don't. I talk about what I like and remain silent about what I don't like. I rarely answer questions that relate to my person. What I tell is the truth as I see it. That's basically all there is to it.
Editorinchief
Yea, it's funny how each site seems to make you conform to their beliefs and community members.

It's a good examination of how easily your personality will cave to foreign communities and groups of people
Mamsaac
a little bit

I prefer to be quiet online. Read what others write instead of writing myself.

in RL, I talk a lot.
squirrelmaster
yeah, sometimes you just do it just because.
i used to have 3 or 4 online identites, but i realized one day when one of my REAL friends joined the halo server they wouldn't believe that i was who i said i was!!
so one day at school i said "I AM 4RGONAUT!!", and he was shocked,
so i changed my username to squirrelmaster(i had a pet squirrel once), and acted like myself and now sometimes my friends in real life call me that as my nickname in real life Laughing
now i use this username on everything!!
rightclickscott
I've had several different identities. I first started out as The Omega Master, a fearless idiot with nothing to lose. I was god, because of my ignorance. I was then genjirion, and I was still finding my voice, my calling. It was me being young, and it's still my AIM name. I then became Tetsunosuke/Peacemaker, mainly because I was into the anime Peacemaker Kurogane. It showed how my mind was clear, but I was still facing my own demons, and I was different from myself in so many ways. Now, I am Right-Click Scott, an identity that embodies me. I am the exact same way online as I am offline. Anything I would do or say online, I would do or say offline, and I would do more offline. I would do even more extreme things offline. The name embodies me because I use my real name. I don't hide behind the guise of a facsimile name, I am Scott, and that's who I always will be. Right-Click shows the individuality between me and every other Scott. I am Right-Click Scott, no mask to hide behind.
alkady
Who hasn't, The web is a tool that permits us to be things we arent, To do things we never would dare to do. Because we are all strangers.

For example, In reality there are certain things you would be too embarrassed to do, Like ask for personal advice. Online those barriers are gone because anything is possible. I can actually come out of the closet if I wanted to "but I'm not that way"

ect. ect. My first online indentity was Admiral Mustard, Which obviously derived from Colonel Mustard from Clue, Actually it was first mustard but then when I started playing Paeonygames OceanFire half a decade ago, which was a online multiplayer battleship game in which you can gain ranks. Obviously the Admiral Part was added since I was going up the ranks until the day I was No. 5 out of 10,000 something players After that, Sadly the game shut for some reason and decided to just move on.
xorcist
I basically have the same identity as in real life when I'm online, but also it depends on the site and how much I like the people on how I will react to what they say or how to reply to things.
whatif
I find that I am somewhat different online. After all, who isn't? There aren't all the barriers of background and outside personality as in real life.
I sometimes wish I could go to my real life friends and say "you see this -----. That's me!"
I once registered as someone from a country I really wanted to be at that time. Now I generally am truthful (try not to say a name rather than to make one up.) Of course, my usernames reflect the place I'm in.
And I know I'm deluding myself by thinking that it's possible, but I try to keep my multiple identities separate.
tsukiyuuki
I've been Tsuki Yuuki since I was 12, and I've pretty much always just acted like myself. There's a couple of sites where I use a variation on Tsuki Yuuki (On NaNoWriMo I'm Tsuki-chan, and one place I'm Misekake Tsuki), but all my user names/online identities have "tsuki" in them somewhere. It's Japanese for moon and is actually sort of a joke, because my last name is Mooney.
MythicalMuffin
I do have a different identity online. I'm louder (well, more wordy, anyway), more honest, more myself. Meanwhile, in real life, I'm that shy kid who gives monosylabolic responses when you talk to her and then goes back to whatever she's drawing, reading, or writing.

I always have been off in my own little world, but ever since I started using the internet for more than Neopets, I've found a place where I don't have to constantly hide behind my sketchbook any more.
izcool
I can sorta agree that my identity online has changed a little bit from when I first got onto the Internet in 2001. I was using the same name as the account that I was issued for my high-speed internet service in the start. It changed into "Migel" (a play-off on my real name, Mike, or Michael) and then once again to "izcool" or "izverycool" (if the first is already taken), since I started to not like that name. "izcool" or "izverycool" came about since I wanted to make something that made me fit in with everyone else, instead of being called "Migel" I chose those. "iscool" or "isverycool" didn't look good enough, so I chose the "z" to substitute in with the "s", since it looks like that nowadays odd letters (like "X" in Windows XP) are in. I try to be as honest as I can be online, without giving too much out about myself. I'm not a fat old man acting like a teen, I really am a teen and not afraid about it. Yes, that is my photo to the left. I know the etiquette of the internet and have done several websites of my own over the past few years. (I'm starting to wear off from that and spend more time surfing). I also tend to be more vocal online than I am in real life, and I try to separate the two. I don't much like to talk about stuff in person about what's going on online. That's all I have to say about this topic. Good "random" question.

- Mike.
riv_
MythicalMuffin wrote:
I do have a different identity online. I'm louder (well, more wordy, anyway), more honest, more myself. Meanwhile, in real life, I'm that shy kid who gives monosylabolic responses when you talk to her and then goes back to whatever she's drawing, reading, or writing.

Ditto: except I don't draw. I think I'm (slightly) less obnoxious in person. And a lot more introverted.
Mrs Lycos
You can hide. You can lie. You can be someone different. You can give a damn about everything. In the end, there's always a bit of you in those identities. The bad thing is when you get involved and lies are piling up. But well, you faked once, you'll do it forever.
meet in rio
I suppose I have a separate online presence, although it's not like I lie about my tastes or react to a situation any differently than I would in 'real life'.

To be honest, the internet just provides scope for me to be more articulate and, in a way, more myself.

I do adapt to certain forums, just as I would adapt to different friendship groups. In one my aim is to be witty yet diplomatic; when I own a game/forum then I'm less self-conscious and more assertive; on another website I'm more of a mother figure.

I don't really see how it's possible to be 'false' unless you actually lie about your preferences: all these facets to your personality are inside you--it;s just the environment that's required to draw them out.
Ellosha
The only major difference between me online and me offline is how long I take to open up. Once I do, I'm the same me in both places. (Unless I'm in-character on an RP site, of course) I just take longer to start being myself in real life, since you are more likely to make lasting impressions on people who you will possibly have to interact with in the future. Either way, I try to be myself and not trick people into thinking I'm something I'm not.
quartnee
What I find interesting is that almost everyone agrees that they are more open online than in real life, not all, but a good portion. So I'm thinking I might be the exception to the rule because I find I'm more closed online than in person.

I tend to be a very private person, not shy necessarily, it's just that I don't like being questioned on my opinions or feelings so instead, I just keep them to myself. But that doesn't mean I'm a pushover, I'm just not the type to go around telling everyone what's on my mind all the time. So when it comes to the Internet I always find myself censoring what I say because I figure that there are BILLIONS of people in the world and of those billion, a good portion of them have internet access, meaning anything written online can be viewed instantly by at least a few hundred if not more, which, like I said early makes me more conscience of what I say/write.

But then I can also see how the Internet allows people to be different than normally, and that doesn't mean you're radically different than your "real" self, just as most stated more open.
izcool
quartnee wrote:
...I'm just not the type to go around telling everyone what's on my mind all the time...

Oh, that's very interesting. I have a journal online and I spill out all of my guts on what's on my mind and what I plan to do soon. I don't give out very much personal information on there on where people might identify me and want to cause harm to me, I try to be very closed on that sort of thing. But I tell a lot on what I did in the day (like today I stayed home and watched movies) and at other times I say I went to the local Six Flags park (that was yesterday). It's thrilling for me to have a journal (I can keep it private if I'd like, but for now, it's open for the public) since there's just so much I can look back on years later. For instance, if I needed to recall on what something was about a year ago, I do a search and find out right away on what happened. I sometimes feel that not a lot of people read on what's on my journal since it doesn't appeal to them, as most of the time I'm rambling on about what I like to do (mostly based on interests, for me it would be computers). I know there are is a select count on how many people do read it, and that's all fine for me.

- Mike.
TeenZine
Im personaly not exactly sure what your asking. TeenZine is the user name I chose because its the name of my site. TeenZIne.frih.net is my url In case you wanted to visit it.
area547
haha izcool, don't take this the wrong way, but in your pic, you look like you're taking a dump and can't quite get it out.

To make this post not completely off topic - no, there isn't much difference between my online identity and my own identity... i'm a douchebag in both Wink
izcool
area547 wrote:
haha izcool, don't take this the wrong way, but in your pic, you look like you're taking a dump and can't quite get it out.

To make this post not completely off topic - no, there isn't much difference between my online identity and my own identity... i'm a douchebag in both Wink

Hmm, I'm sure over a thousand people seen that photo (I use it on a lot of things) and you're the first to say something like that. It's really the sun that's distracting me. Took awhile to get it right where it didn't look too bad. Rolling Eyes I really should get a new photo done, that one is about a year old.

- Mike.
quartnee
izcool wrote:

(...) I have a journal online and I spill out all of my guts on what's on my mind and what I plan to do soon. I don't give out very much personal information on there on where people might identify me and want to cause harm to me, I try to be very closed on that sort of thing. But I tell a lot on what I did in the day (like today I stayed home and watched movies) and at other times I say I went to the local Six Flags park (that was yesterday). It's thrilling for me to have a journal (I can keep it private if I'd like, but for now, it's open for the public) since there's just so much I can look back on years later. For instance, if I needed to recall on what something was about a year ago, I do a search and find out right away on what happened. I sometimes feel that not a lot of people read on what's on my journal since it doesn't appeal to them, as most of the time I'm rambling on about what I like to do (mostly based on interests, for me it would be computers). I know there are is a select count on how many people do read it, and that's all fine for me.

- Mike.

That is a good point about online journals, but like you said, mostly it seems that your journal is about your day and how things went. I do own one or two online journals, and they are public, but like you, they mostly are about my day or something randomly generic (that's an interesting phrase) and not typically personal, like "Today I got my report card. It figures I would fail math". That's about as comfortable as I can get when it comes to talking about myself. Mostly, I think it boils down to that I don't really like talking about myself, because for some reason I find it akward.