FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Refinishing Drums

spaz-o
I'm assuming there's at least SOME drummers out there, and I'm hoping you're all seasoned. I'm planning on re-finishing my drums soon, and I'm just wondering if I've got everything I've got to do down (because this is obviously something I don't want to screw up).

So...?
1) Take off all hardware (duh)
2) Take off wrap. Do this slowly, easing it gently off the wood so it doesn't rip anything bad up.
3) Pick off the excess glue and sand, using increasingly finer grits (but not past a certain one which I've forgotten....)
4) Stain, lacquer, paint. If using a spray paint put it in hot water first for a finer mist.
5) Leave to dry, spray a clear coat, sand? clear coat.

Help, anyone?
Ray Salamon
About two years ago I used these guys to redo a vintage Gretsch set:
http://home.flash.net/~guitars/

I've also done MANY guitars and basses using their products. If you read around their site, get a good feel for what you need to do (read the FAQ/walkthrus) then you can order and start. You can even e-mail them and ask any questions you had... when I first started, I must've e-mailed for two weeks about 3 times a day just asking questions. Very helpful guys, good products too.

-Ray
spaz-o
Ah, but I'm not in America. I'm in Australia. And I don't think they can ship to me.

I'm mainly interested in the whole process, like when to sand, how to take a wrap off correctly etc.