FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Private folders in XP

benzun_1999
HI everyone,

can anyone tell me how to activate the private folders in xp. I converted my hard disk to NTFS and still i am unable to create private folders. help me.

-benny
Sunny
Go to control Panel >>> User Accounts >> Click your account and create a password for it, it will give you an option to make the user folders private.
IceCreamTruck
Encrypting the files might help you, but it really slows video and music down, so I would only encrypt confidential text files and images and unencrypt them for use.

Look it up in the windows help files, or create a new folder on your desktop, go to the properties for that directory, go to the advanced section, and check the encrypt contents check box. Anything you add to this directory will get encrypted. The encrypted folder should also be a different color than the other folders.

Things to note...

1. this might not keep out admin, but I think it might.
2. if your user account is compromised then accessing the encrypted files will be easy
3. you won't be able to access the files if moved to a different computer unless you read the microsoft help files on this extensively!

Also try password protected zip files. another simple way to hide files from people, and it's alittle more portable than data encryption.
pjv
Sunny wrote:
Go to control Panel >>> User Accounts >> Click your account and create a password for it, it will give you an option to make the user folders private.

what if you previously opt not to make the folders private but now you want to make it private. what do you have to do? remove the password then create again or there is a shorter way to make this? tnx!
babumuchhala
To just hide single folders use "Hide Folder XP"

Its a paid software but i am sure one can find it [dont ask me because i dont use it due to very low system resources (64 MB RAM)]

Or else follow sunny's way.

@pjv
To do it just go to Control Panel>>> User Accounts >> Click your account>>>Enable Private Accounts.

Why the heck do u need to remove the passwd and put it in again. The passwd is just so that no one can access it without your passwd Very Happy
IceCreamTruck
babumuchhala wrote:
Why the heck do u need to remove the passwd and put it in again. The passwd is just so that no one can access it without your passwd

I think he's talking about creating another username because he priviously told the computer to "share" his documents with others.

benzun_1999 wrote:
can anyone tell me how to activate the private folders in xp. I converted my hard disk to NTFS and still i am unable to create private folders. help me.

OK, wait one minute. Do not create another user account except to test the encryption of your folders, but don't use it for anything else, and as soon as you are done testing you will want to remove the new user account from your computer. But I will digress and start form the beggining.

By converting to NTFS you have done more for computer security than you know. FAT/FAT32 has next to no security in the basic file system. It does, however, give the impression of security whereas NTFS let's you know just how unsecure your files are unless you tighten security using encryption (only availible for NTFS).

Create a folder on your desktop. Right click this folder and go to (general tab) >> advanced. (note: hide folder checkbox is right next to "advanced button")

Click "encrypt contents to secure data" check box (only availible on NTFS)

Drag all files that you want encrypted to this folder. Even programs can store files in this folder and they will be encrypted/decrypted as nessisary.

You are done. Repeat as nessisary. No one has access to this folder but you. ok?

I think you are over-reacting though. It's hard enough to open your files up for others to see over any network, so as long as it's encrypted it is totally safe. Don't expect to hide anything from poeple in government, the police, or people who want to pay whatever it costs to get it.

Let's face it man, even fort knox isn't totally impossible to break into, they've just done a great job of making it unlikely that anyone will have the ability to do so. Stop over-reacting, encrypt the files using XP NTFS file system, and leave it alone. No one is going to spend 100 years decrypting your files, or pay millions of dollars for a computer system that will take you appart bit by bit.

Do you get my point?
turbosquid
PART 1>

As default win XP has 'Simple File Sharing' enabled this prevents the more advanced folder 'Security' options from being displayed. Follow these steps (if you haven't allready done so) :-

1> Open 'My Computer' click 'tools' menu choose 'Folder Options'
2> Click the 'View' tab scroll down the list to the bottom uncheck 'Use simple file sharing'
3> Click 'ok'

4> Choose the folder(s) which you wish to make private, right click and select 'properties' click the 'security' tab.

You will see a list of groups / users. You can add and remove users from this list depending on who you want to give access to.
You can also select a users access 'permissions' in the window bellow.
But be carful i wouldn't advise altering any of the permisions for any of windows system folders or you could end up locking your OS when you reboot.

You will need to be logged on with administrative privilages to alter these settings, also be sure that you keep the 'administrator' group in the groups / users window otherwise you could lock yourself out Wink

PART 2>

Ok, if you wish to make a folder private for the current user eg. if you only have one user account on your pc.
You could choose to hide the folder although this dosn't offer much protection.

To hide a folder right click the folder choose 'Properties', check the 'Hidden' box.

Secondly for more protection you could use a third party app. such as BestCrypt http://www.jetico.com/
this will allow you to create a virtual encrypted harddrive which you can mount and dismount when required.

You could also try MagicFolders http://www.pc-magic.com/ it will hide folders from prying eyes, i have used this back in the win9x days and it was simple but effective. havent tried this version though.

Hope this is of some help Smile
Bones
I personally don't like encrypted folders. The only reason being, is if something happens to the user account that created the encrypted folder, then you will lose access to all the data in that folder.
webbone
I don't know what your mean,You can download a freeware from microsoft offical site,It's name Microsoft Private Folder 1.0.msi,I think this software can help you create a private folder!
umumkan
Here I take from ms site -> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/windows_make_folders_private.mspx

Quote:
Windows XP Professional Product Documentation > Windows basics
To make your folders private

1. Open My Computer
2. Double-click the drive where Windows is installed (usually drive C), unless you have more than one drive on your computer).
If the contents of the drive are hidden, under System Tasks, click Show the contents of this drive.

3.Double-click the Documents and Settings folder.
4.Double-click your user folder.
5.Right-click any folder in your user profile, and then click Properties.
6.On the Sharing tab, select the Make this folder private so that only I have access to it check box.

Note
To open My Computer, click Start, and then click My Computer.
This option is only available for folders included in your user profile. Folders in your user profile include My Documents and its subfolders, Desktop, Start Menu, Cookies, and Favorites. If you do not make these folders private, they are available to everyone who uses your computer.
When you make a folder private, all of its subfolders are private as well. For example, when you make My Documents private, you also make My Music and My Pictures private. When you share a folder, you also share all of its subfolders unless you make them private.
You cannot make your folders private if your drive is not formatted as NTFS For information about converting your drive to NTFS, click Related Topics.

and to Undo Make this folder private option, you can read in here ->http://windowsxp.mvps.org/undoprivate.htm
IceCreamTruck
I think the user has stopped following this topic...

If you read it then you will see he hasn't posted a response in awhile. Although your posts and follow-ups help detail how this can be done, I think the issue is a dead issue.
zorindart
I think XP home edition doesn't allow encrypting.
But there's a free add-on called "My private folder" you can download from MS website.
The bad new is you ought to have an original copy of XP