FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Rotating Band Members

cyph33r
Do you think it is a good idea to change the band members with each album ? I know some bands that do this, particularly Soulfly - and each Album is just as good as the next. Any other bands that succesfully pull this off. Is it fair to the members that get to only be included for a single album (and maybe the album tour as well) before getting replaced....?
Bosleee
another band to do this is my fave band of all time

Red Hot Chili Peppers

they've had alot of different band members infact the only 2 to stay in the band from start to finish is kiedis and flea. they have made some amazing albums with all different members
mateo632
i think it doesn't matter honestly. it's all part of being in a band. i was in a band that went through three drummers, and honestly, they were all good, they just had their own styles. so as we changed drummers, our sound changed a little bit. sometimes a band will change members, but tell the new guy to play exactly like the old guy. i can see how that might be important with keeping the fanbase happy, but you gotta feel sorry for the guy who's just stuck playing like the first guy, unless that was his style anyway, i suppose. hopefully band additions/subtractions just help the band stay interesting.
anxiety1
this only really works if you got a key song writer.

with soulfly, max writes all the stuff and isw always in the band. if he wasn't it wouldn't really work.

i think its better when the stick to the same members really, when they change members it changes the band.
soldeinvierno
I believe that every change within a group affects the result (otherwise, there's something that doesn't work right). And it's always difficult when the new guys are asked to be as good as the "classic line-up". When they are successful, we get some great music moments. For example, I love Deep Purple with the "Machine Head" members but also with the Coverdale-Hughes duo.