FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

is it illegal to download tv shows?

pharma
i'm bored out of my mind here....The MPAA has started a wave of lawsuits against movie swappers and the RIAA is suing music downloaders....but what about tv-shows?

Let's say I continue downloading movies and music, do you think i'll get cought? or are they after bigger guys? I'm on a yahoo dsl connection by the way..

Laughing
Reaper
It depends on who you ask, some people would say yes its definatly illegal. But I don't think its illegal anyways, i mean there are some channels on tv that are free after all.
Would they arrest you? if they did that they would need a thousand new prisions specially built for illegal music downloaders/movie downloaders. Yes you could get caught though.
Bondings
It depends which show/movie you are downloading.

Some tv-channels make them available for free on their website, those are certainly legal.

Then you have some movies/shows who are legal to distribute.

And finally some are not legal to distribute. However sometimes the rights are granted to some websites.

Will you get caught, very unlikely but the chance exists. There are plenty of good and legal movies/shows offered for free on the internet. Watch those. Wink

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_daily_show/videos/most_recent/index.jhtml
http://dynamic.abc.go.com/streaming/landing (only for Americans)
Vrythramax
to add to Bondings' aleady eloquent statements, I would like to add that just because an individual doesn't think it's illegal...and this encompasses music downloads as well doesn't meant it isn't illegal.

Your best bet is to actually read the copyright statements provided...and work from there. Many of these staements can be long and boring, but they will cover your butt as far as leglity goes.

*EDITED for typos*
shun
Well I think it depends on if the TV show is free for all. Some of the people, like some people I know, make their own movies and open their products to the others. But if you're talking about those TV Shows playing on TV, that I have it is highly likely to be illegal. Many people may disagree with that, but if the TV Show's copyright is reserved then the act of downloading it for free is definitely illegal.
benjaminblunt
yes it is illegal. it isn't illegal if you record it off the tv and don't distribute it but they gotta make a money some how.
Giroodle
It's illegal. That's why Seaon DVD's are for sale.
joxang
What happens when the show goes permanently off air?

Also, TV shows don't really have their own copyright statements, do they...maybe the company airing them has a copyright clause somewhere.

PS: Giroodle, where did u get that avatar? It's genius!
EVILSKAAP
The tv shows are a bit of a mixed up thing. Because some of the tv stations are offering their tv shows for free download or streaming, after it was aired the first time. The problem is that people from countries where the show has not been broadcasted download them and distribute them via P2P networks.
So i think that if you download from the station's website,or stream it from there, it will not be illegal. But if you redistribute it in anyway it would be considered illegal.

Lost RULES! NJOY!
pharma
Giroodle wrote:
It's illegal. That's why Seaon DVD's are for sale.

in Egypt

it is not ellegal

i can download all films for free

Very Happy

and amreican films also from arabic forums

Arrow
Bosleee
all downloading of music/movies etc unless u pay for it or get it from the owners website is illegal and u can get done for it but the MPAA is mainly targeting downloaders of BIG films like star wars for example ive been downloadin for afew years and not been caught but dont mean that i wont just means ive been lucky
bdoneck
Bosleee wrote:
all downloading of music/movies etc unless u pay for it or get it from the owners website is illegal and u can get done for it but the MPAA is mainly targeting downloaders of BIG films like star wars for example ive been downloadin for afew years and not been caught but dont mean that i wont just means ive been lucky

As far as i know, this is wrong. there are certain laws on music that make downloading illegal but otherwise downloading is not in violation of copyright laws, only sharing is
screamingdecay
I don't see how they can aforce the TV show law stuff really. Every tom, dick, and harry have a VCR in there home and can record all the shows they want. They also have DVR ( I do not see this getting any legal action agaist it) beause there are ways of getting the stuff you recorded off the tivo's Hard drive. then people have tv tunners, so theres no exact way they can say you downloaded it or recorded it with your vcr to watch...
screamingdecay
Also, does anyone know how music downloaders get caught mostly? Is it mostly they people who are sending out the music that get sued or the people that download off an FCC computer with a fake music file?
achowles
It's illegal for the sole reason that the TV companies want to milk extra revenue from the DVD market.
n0obie4life
Definately illegal unless it has been stated that it is legal.

Recording it off the TV isn't illegal, but redistributing it for money is illegal.
Indyan
Downloading old tv shows (for free ) in countries that allows TiVo shouldnt be illegal.
thiamshui
it's illegal unless the original producer puts it up for download.. in my country, the TV company offers downloads of TV shows that are broadcasted within the month but at a price though..
Hogwarts
A couple of days ago when a series ended - "Thank god you're here".. They put the shop on the stations website. It still generates revenue because of adverts on the site.

If downloading them is illegal... Is watching internet TV? I like to get a peek at whats going to happen in the series I am watching as they are on in America long before they are on is Australia.
Jack_Hammer
There are no defined laws on copywright ATM, though focusing on the chance of you getting caught I would look at the program you use, some have know to get lots of people fined for thousands (Like winMX), though I use safer programs that issue warnings that you are not allowed on the server if you are any part of the government, the authorities or basically working for in anyway. Plus in america I believe it is illegal for someone to track you down from your IP through your ISP so they cannot find out where or who you are from your IP address without going through illegal channels.

Though I do advise people that download Movies and Music etc. that you support the ones you like by buying them, say you download and watch a movie again and you want to watch it again, I suggest you buy it.
Traveller
joxang wrote:
What happens when the show goes permanently off air?
Then, unless the owners of the copyright decide to make it available in some other form, it becomes permanently unavailable (legally, that is) until the copyright expires, at which time, it will enter the public domain. The legalities regarding copyright are not based upon whether or not something is still in print, but upon the date in which it was first put into fixed form and a certain number of years after that. The amount of time depends upon the exact nature of the work. "Works for hire" usually have copyrights that last 95 years from first publication or 120 years from creation (whichever expires first). Other works are usually under copyright until 70 years after the death of the author. For further information, see http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-duration.html

joxang wrote:
Also, TV shows don't really have their own copyright statements, do they...maybe the company airing them has a copyright clause somewhere.
Read all of the the credits (usually the closing credits) of TV shows sometime. They most definitely have copyright statements.
TeenZine
I think it all depends because you can coppy a tv show or use Tboo or Video on demand ( practicaly the same thing just diffrenet companys ) And there you CAN fastforward the adds just like a regular video tape. Not that i do unless when im in a hurry. But the point is It still shows the adds So im pretty sure it's legal since it hasn't been sued as of this posting on 10:31 am P.S.T. (protecting my ass)So I assume you can download them online if they have the adds but IF the person striped the adds I assume it is ilegal. You could always as the guy / girl posted above read the coppy right and Im sure it will tell you. I also dont think you could if its nbc since u can buy all of those tv show off of itunes. ( of course with out adds) Good question though.
raph76
yes, It's good
Jack_Hammer
raph76 wrote:
yes, It's good

SPAM.
Traveller
TeenZine wrote:
So I assume you can download them online if they have the adds but IF the person striped the adds I assume it is ilegal.
This is completely fallacious reasoning that completely ignores the simple facts of copyright protection.

Copyright is not assigned based upon the presence or absence of commerical material, but upon placing the material into a fixed form. At that time, the owner of the copyright owns all of the rights to the material.

When the material is published, the owner of the copyright assigns some of the rights to others. For TV, some of those rights include broadcast rights, syndication rights, and distribution rights - all of which are assigned to networks, stations, and the like.

In addition, viewers are assigned the rights to record the broadcasts for their own, personal, in-home use. They do not, however, receive any form of distribution rights. Thus, unless the copyright owner specifically assigns viewers the rights to distribute a show, both the people download it and the people who make it available for download are breaking copyright law.
conicon
Just like my title says, "as seen on TV is free." Unless told otherwise, like at the end of an NFL game when they say that you cannot rebroadcast this event without the written consent of the NFL or whatever. If they do not say you can't tape it, then who are they to say that you cannot download it. Now as long as they don't say otherwise I believe you should be able to download the "edited for TV" movie for free, the movie as it was intended to be shown should still be illegal to download. Now I do not know if this is what is law or not but I have never heard about anybody brought up on TV bootlegging charges.
TeenZine
Traveller wrote:
TeenZine wrote:
So I assume you can download them online if they have the adds but IF the person striped the adds I assume it is ilegal.
This is completely fallacious reasoning that completely ignores the simple facts of copyright protection.

Copyright is not assigned based upon the presence or absence of commerical material, but upon placing the material into a fixed form. At that time, the owner of the copyright owns all of the rights to the material.

How do they make money answer in small print adds so if your downloading it just like you would when u tape it why would it be ilegal. It is the same exact thing just in a diffrent format BIG deal.
Traveller
conicon wrote:
Now as long as they don't say otherwise I believe you should be able to download the "edited for TV" movie for free, the movie as it was intended to be shown should still be illegal to download.

Edited for TV or not, the movie or show is still their property, and they still grant you only the rights to record it yourself for your own home use. They do not grant you a license to distribute.

Any other explanation one may attempt to create, that is not based upon the actual laws and rights, would fall into one or both of the following categories:
  • Logical - The most common fallacious reasoning used here is a blend of ignoratio elenchi (ignorance of the issue or irrelevant conclusion) and "missing the point" or "avoiding the issue."
  • Psychological - Since people want the copyright laws to work a certain way, they explain their lawbreaking through the process of rationalization.