FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Whats so cool about heavy metal?





udaykamboj
I've tried listning to heavy metal, forced myself to like it but i really coudn't appreciate it.

I'm not the pop music kinda guy I really love Metallica, steve vai, nirvana, etc... but when I tried to listen to black sabbath for example I really didn' understand what was the fuss about?

It doesn't sound like music from any aspect, it's simply noise!

What so cool about it? Someone please explain! Don't get me wrong or something please, people who like heavy metal i'm not critiscising but if you can please tell whats so cool about it?

thanks
vexation
Quote:
I've tried listning to heavy metal, forced myself to like it but i really coudn't appreciate it.


Never force yourself to listen to any kind of music. I urge you to always be open to different music, but its ridiculous to make yourself like it. Liking metal doesn't make you any better or more worthy of a person.

So what's so "cool" about it? That's an issue of personal taste and it varies from individual to individual. I personally enjoy the guitar riffs and the whole upbeat, heavy nature of the music. However, there's some metal bands I really couldn't care for(ex. the whole 80's hair metal scene).
IAMED_2
I agree with him ^. Don't try to force yourself to like some sort of music, it probably won't work. To each his own!
CCFCExile
It's just a matter of opinion. I love Metal, Oi, Hardcore and Ska as my personal favourite kinds of music but I enjoy the sounds of Jack Johnson, KT Tunstall and Katie Mellua. Heck, later on I will probably listen to Lady Sovereign. Don't force a genera on yourself just open up and let the music talk to you... It's one of the greatest gifts of all. "Don't be a Sheep, be the Sheppard" (I will give up on phylosphi)
BlacKRoSeS
I think it depends on the song, the lyrics and why it has been written. I'm a fan of rock, but i love listening to heavy metal, but not when the lyrics is about satan or something, or about anything useless. There is heavy metal where it's just hit the drums, smash the guitar and scream out loud, but i hate that. But when it comes to songs with rythem, change, sometimes grunting, sometimes singing, i love it.
When you listen to the lyrics, if you can, you could see it has so much emotion, sometimes hate, and so much 'i don't care' things. And i wouldn't call that 'just noise', i call that pure metal, music.
spaz-o
Trying to listen to music because it's cool is a good way to get yourself bashed up.

A whole group of kids in my school have decided that metal is cool, and therefore have become lemmings: listening only to Nu Metal like Slipknot and Korn. It's sickening to see them walking around with their bags, pencil cases and shirts - anything the band can produce with their name on it those poor sucker kids will buy. They disgust me.

But the point is, music is entirely self choice. Many decide that they won't listen to Britney Spears because she's a pop icon, but that doesn't make you cool. It just makes you mindless.


If you like more melodic, old school stuff than go for it. Personally I like pop, ska and punk-rock. I prefer melodic songs, and upbeat ones at that. It's just personal preferance.
Helios
Nothing should be 'cool' about music, m8. Wink

Music is one of those things which are just private to a certain person.

I like metal, my friend likes Hip-Hop etc..

If you dislike metal, that's just fine. No-one is going to punish you.

Nowadays you can be whatever you want and do almost whatever you want.
Ray Salamon
Well, I'm going to let the other people speak when they say about not forcing yourself to listen to something, etc., because they have all nailed it on the head pretty much.
I am however going to say that I do love metal. I am a metal head. However, I own about 1100 CDs, and the genres vary, but 70% of them are metal.
So why do I like it so much? The riffing, the soloing, the heavy rhythm that sometimes you can't but help to bang your head to. A lot of it I like for the lyrical and singing quality (give Nightwish a listen sometime for a prime example of this). Other times it's just the pure thrash of it, and the fact that it's good and LOUD.
Metal just sings to me what a lot of other music has seemed to miss. It strikes something in me that just says "hey, you like this much better".

Music is music, and is for the masses. We all will never, ever, agree on much about it beyond that.

-Ray
Editorinchief
"I've tried listning to heavy metal, forced myself to like it but i really coudn't appreciate it.

I'm not the pop music kinda guy I really love Metallica, steve vai, nirvana, etc... but when I tried to listen to black sabbath for example I really didn' understand what was the fuss about?

It doesn't sound like music from any aspect, it's simply noise!

What so cool about it? Someone please explain! Don't get me wrong or something please, people who like heavy metal i'm not critiscising but if you can please tell whats so cool about it? "


One word for you - Dragonforce. It's probably the best stuff ever.

Anyways, pop music is not metal so I don't know why you don't like it.

A lot of skill can be involved sometimes in making good things out of noise.
udaykamboj
I agree to what you say, but never tried to listen to it coz i wanted to be cool, am already in that category. I was just curious thats all.

Thanks for your reply anyway

spaz-o wrote:
Trying to listen to music because it's cool is a good way to get yourself bashed up.

A whole group of kids in my school have decided that metal is cool, and therefore have become lemmings: listening only to Nu Metal like Slipknot and Korn. It's sickening to see them walking around with their bags, pencil cases and shirts - anything the band can produce with their name on it those poor sucker kids will buy. They disgust me.

But the point is, music is entirely self choice. Many decide that they won't listen to Britney Spears because she's a pop icon, but that doesn't make you cool. It just makes you mindless.


If you like more melodic, old school stuff than go for it. Personally I like pop, ska and punk-rock. I prefer melodic songs, and upbeat ones at that. It's just personal preferance.
udaykamboj
Hmm... I'll look into it.

Thanks

Editorinchief wrote:
"I've tried listning to heavy metal, forced myself to like it but i really coudn't appreciate it.

I'm not the pop music kinda guy I really love Metallica, steve vai, nirvana, etc... but when I tried to listen to black sabbath for example I really didn' understand what was the fuss about?

It doesn't sound like music from any aspect, it's simply noise!

What so cool about it? Someone please explain! Don't get me wrong or something please, people who like heavy metal i'm not critiscising but if you can please tell whats so cool about it? "


One word for you - Dragonforce. It's probably the best stuff ever.

Anyways, pop music is not metal so I don't know why you don't like it.

A lot of skill can be involved sometimes in making good things out of noise.
CCFCExile
Music is the greatest thing on earth, it can unite people and divide people. It can start wars and end them. It can save lives or destroy them... And is probably too powerful for it's own good.

Personaly If the hairs on your neck stand up and your head starts nodding you know it's for you. I get that feeling when I listen to 25 ta Life or to Tool to name a couple of groups.
achene
Its kinda obvious that everyone cannot appreciate everything. Personally i dont listen to black sabbath that much, but i still like metal. If you like metallica you can probably find other metal bands that appeals better to your personal style than black sabbath.
Metal is like other genres of music, sortet in different sub-genres.

Black Sabbath as you say is what i would call "early doom-metal". Black Sabbath is one of the most (if not the most) influentian metal bands out there. But still i think that theres a lot of better metal bands out there.

When you say that black sabbath is just noise you would probably never like bands in the subgenre Death Metal and Black Metal. Its not the same as doom but its heavier and with growled vocals.
Example of a few bands:
Opeth (death metal)
In flames (melodic death metal)
Dimmu Borgir (black metal)
(yes some odd examples but was what i could think of)

If you like early metallica you would probably apreciate Thrash Metal. Even though i think its a lot more "noisy" than doom metal. I think thrash is a very dedicated type of metal and isnt very easy to listen to, if your not into it. Personally i dont like it at all.
Example of bands:
Early metallica
anthrax
slayer (a little like a mix of death/thrash)

A type of metal that is pretty easy to listen to is for instance new wave of british heavy metal (a long name, lol Razz).
Example of Bands:
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden

Im a lot into powermetal. Some powermetal is easy to listen to and some powermetal is not that easy to listen to.
Powermetal vocals are often bright and trained but theres examples of darker vocals as well.
Powermetal has "evolved" in many directions. For instance the very fast power metal like stratovarius and symphony x. and the very symphonic and classical like blind guardian. Some bands like edguy concentrate on being very melodic and is very easy to listen to.
In Powermetal you will most likely find a lot of advanced solos and also a lot of ballads (kinda quiet emotional song). You can also find ballads in other genres but its very common in powermetal.
Example of powermetal bands:
Stratovarius (fast)
Hammerfall (bright vocals)
Sabaton (dark vocals)
Edguy (very melodic )
Blind Guardian (symphony)
and a lot more...

A newer genre is Nu Metal. Personally i dont like nu metal, but some people do and theres a lot of different nu-metal out there. Nu metal is very harsh and cold and can be both growled and sung.
As i mentioned theres a lot of variation in nu metal as well as other genres but most bands keep a very cold guitar sound and harsh vocals.
Example of bands:
Korn
Papa Roach
Slipknot (death/nu metal)

Theres also a genre called industrial metal. In this genre we mix other metal genres with the electronica genre. Industrial is as nu metal often very harsh, but not all bands are.
Example of bands:
Fear Factory (death/industrial metal)
Rammstein (im not sure but theres indeed some industrial in their songs)

Theres alot more genres out there and i cant mention them all but i hope this helped you a little.
tingkagol
there are pretty good heavy bands out there, but most of these "metalheads" are all just a bunch of pretentious idiots thinking it's cool to hate the world.
mercurial
heavy metal = noise n more noise IMO

dun get me wrong though coz i TOTALLY LIKE metallica n iron maiden those sorts (but maybe those are the few that i listen to)..but anw. i tried listening to heavy metal but i was totally turned off ever since. n the only thing nice bout metal n hard rock are their GUITAR RIFFS n solos not to mention. other than that..i still prefer mainstream rock like bon jovi, 3doorsdown n sorts
the_mariska
achene wrote:

Metal is like other genres of music, sortet in different sub-genres.


Classificating music into different sub-genres may be very difficult and sometimes ridiculous. [on the Polish version of Vikipedia, Slipknot is classified as a 'heavy-metal' band]. there were also a few bands that hated the classification that much that introduced their own genre labels: "Power pop", "Ninja-metal-core", "Black Christian Metal Laughing " and an absolute hit: "Hockey-core". That's why if I'm introducing a band to someone, I prefer to tell him about anything but for the 'genre'. Example of such introduction would be:

The Blind Guardian's songs are most frequently in a fast tempo, but there are some ballads. Their lyrics are inspired by middle ages and its history and their main melodies based on medieval scales (however, accomanied in harmonic functions). The vocalist is a opera tenor, with a very large voice scale. In many songs there appear mixed back vocals. The musical facture is based on guitar and bass riffs, however they experiment with many ancient and modern musical instruments, and sometimes make symphonic arrangements.

Ok, I could tell much more [in my music school we learn to analyse various songs Very Happy]... Does the term 'symphonic power metal' mean what i wrote?
achene
the_mariska wrote:
achene wrote:

Metal is like other genres of music, sortet in different sub-genres.


Classificating music into different sub-genres may be very difficult and sometimes ridiculous. [on the Polish version of Vikipedia, Slipknot is classified as a 'heavy-metal' band]. there were also a few bands that hated the classification that much that introduced their own genre labels: "Power pop", "Ninja-metal-core", "Black Christian Metal Laughing " and an absolute hit: "Hockey-core". That's why if I'm introducing a band to someone, I prefer to tell him about anything but for the 'genre'. Example of such introduction would be:

The Blind Guardian's songs are most frequently in a fast tempo, but there are some ballads. Their lyrics are inspired by middle ages and its history and their main melodies based on medieval scales (however, accomanied in harmonic functions). The vocalist is a opera tenor, with a very large voice scale. In many songs there appear mixed back vocals. The musical facture is based on guitar and bass riffs, however they experiment with many ancient and modern musical instruments, and sometimes make symphonic arrangements.

Ok, I could tell much more [in my music school we learn to analyse various songs Very Happy]... Does the term 'symphonic power metal' mean what i wrote?


lol. yes something like that. hehe:P well of cause but sorting can still give some kind of overview. of cause bands are different etc.

Achene.
immortal
you force yourself to listen to heavy metal? haha, that's very funny.
Vlien
I wouldn't know why that's so funny! When you start listening to classical music for the first time, it's not quite that easy, I mean, most people don't like it instantly... I can understand somebody trying to become familiar with a certain kind of music. I'm currently trying to appreciate jazz, for example.
Tynerius
Editorinchief wrote:
One word for you - Dragonforce. It's probably the best stuff ever.

Anyways, pop music is not metal so I don't know why you don't like it.

A lot of skill can be involved sometimes in making good things out of noise.


Its true, DF are AWESOME. They are also one of the best conversion bands for metal-based music in the world at the moment.

By that I mean that by listening to them, it can convert your musical preferance more towards metal music, and as testament to this I have a number of friends who used to listen to hip-hop and urban music, but after listening to Dragonforce, now listen to more metal music like Avenged Sevenfold.

Thus, my advice to you would be to listen to some Dragonforce (they have some free mp3s for downloading on their website) and go from there.
tingkagol
most heavy metal lyricists are IDIOTS, so if i HAVE to like a heavy metal band-- they'd have to be really good with their instruments.

BUT, there's always prog rock. That's why i do not find the need to listen to heavy metal bands.
the_mariska
Vlien wrote:
I wouldn't know why that's so funny! When you start listening to classical music for the first time, it's not quite that easy, I mean, most people don't like it instantly... I can understand somebody trying to become familiar with a certain kind of music. I'm currently trying to appreciate jazz, for example.

I've never appreciated jazz so I know what you mean. But I wouldn't say the smae about classical... Maybe because when I was a baby my parents bought me a lot of tapes of Beethoven, Chopin, Mozart etc, as they thought that listening to such kind of music will make me more intelligent. I don't know if they achieved their goal, but I came back to these tapes no sooner than I started my music school (it means a year ago Razz).

Quote:

BUT, there's always prog rock. That's why i do not find the need to listen to heavy metal bands.

You know, I do not force myself to listen any kind of music.
[-Well, I must admit that I used to, cause when I was strongly into punk I knew which punk bands were 'cool' and which were not - this of course changed much often - so I tried to listen these 'cool' bands, that I sometimes hated, and give up these 'not cool' which were actually quite interesting Laughing What a pity that I've grown out of this Laughing Very Happy-]
For mw, there are only two genres of music - the music that moves me, and the music that doesn't. I listen only to the first one.
Tynerius
Good for you, thats how it should be. Oh plus you should like Dragonforce Laughing
bstevens
Hi Guys!
I'll be the first to admit that i'm a n00b here, but I am a serious music enthusiast. I agree with helios on the fact that it is a free country and what you do or say or listen to in your private life is your business. I do believe however that you can listen to music enough to begin to like / appreciate it. I remember when I was 10 I didnt want anything to do with heavy metal, and now I absolutely love it... The change came when my friends picked up the genre and began listening to it... I really didnt like it at first, but I listened to enough artists and albums for the genre of music to grow tremendously on me. Now, if it is metal, I love it -- and strangely, I also harbor an appreciation for classic music also.. I don't know how I managed to have both at the same time... I'd guess its because the two are almost polar opposites, and the fact I like them both demonstrates my diverse personality. Anyway, Listen to what you like, do what you want with your life, but remember not to cross the line of right and wrong....

-B-rad!
Tynerius
Its funny you should mention the liking for classical music alongside your love for metal, because I have found that this is often the case. In fact, many performers of metal music (Metallica, for example) have claimed to like, listen to aand even be influenced by classical music. I myself enjoy listening to classical music, even though I am a self confessed "metal-head"
Related topics
Heavy metal, fashion or true feeling?
Some Music Creators around here?
Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Heavy Metal Links
FriHost's Music Genre
Good festivals
u should listen 2 heavey metal
What i syour favorite metal band?
hey guys/girls im new ;)
black metal
Rap music: Destroying our youth?
Rock Beats Chav!
heavy metal and rock
heavy metal and Caucasians
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Music

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.