FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Keep your laptop battery longer!

solarwind
I recently purchased a nice high-end laptop with very long battery life and an expensive battery. I felt like I would like to keep this battery for a few years without needing to buy a new one. It's a lithium ion battery.

I've done some research and every battery site that I went to is saying that if you keep your battery at 40% charge when not in use, your battery's charge capacity will only decrease by 2 percent in a year. On the other hand, if you keep it at 100% charge all the time, you will lose batty capacity quickly in a year. Also, if we cool our battery by putting it in the fridge at 40% charge when not in use, we can further increase the shelf life of the battery.

Any thoughts on this?
seanooi
wow, sounds weird but interesting. Would like to try it someday.
But from what i've heard is that it is ok to leave your battery charged at 100% and must be sure to remove it from your laptop when you're on A/C power to prevent it from inputting more electricity into it, don't know whether it's true or not, but that's what i've been doing all along. Laughing
solarwind
It worked for some guy I know as well.
Xeniczone
The frige thing sounds correct. When you cool it off it should slow the molicules and make the battery not operate until it is warm again. When you use the battery it wears down. It works the same for those glow sticks if you stick them in the frige they last longer.

I wouldn't try it with a 50-100 dollar battery I would try it with some cheap AA battery. Charge it using a volt meter messure it at 50% charge (0.75 volts) Then stick it in the frige. Leave it for 24hours take it out and see if it still reads that charge.

Keeping it at 100% i think will distory your battery. I keeped mine at 100% all the time and it was a 2hour battery now it only last 30mins-1hour.

Here is what I would do. Charge it to about 100% then take it out of the laptop unless I need it. So I don't overcharge it and distory the battery. Then if the frige thing works I would stick it in there so it will hold it's charge.
but that is just my opition.
GProject
seanooi wrote:
But from what i've heard is that it is ok to leave your battery charged at 100% and must be sure to remove it from your laptop when you're on A/C power to prevent it from inputting more electricity into it, don't know whether it's true or not, but that's what i've been doing all along. Laughing

Yeah, it's not good for the battery to be on constant trickle charge. Which is a shame, because mine always is - which is probably why it only lasts 15 minutes now! Also, if you can charge it up completely, and then run it down to zero before recharging, then it helps you battery to last longer on a 'per charge' basis.
Animal
Do you have a source for this information? If so, I'd be interested to read it.
TheGeek
I know from experience that this works.

I know atleast with Ni-mH batteries it does anyway. I used to be really big into RC cars a few years ago and i remember them telling me to never leave the batteries charges because of what is called charge memory. Its the same reason why you used to have to discharge RC batteries all the way before recharging them. They start to just loose their ability to hold a charge after a while. This time can be increased by storing in cold environments (such as a fridge or freezer works even better using this theory) and storing them unplugged at a low charge usually no more than 50% of full capacity.

Li-Ion batteries are a little different but the concept should be the same.
dragonflame
wow thanks Ive been wondering how to prolong battery life as well. Theyre so fricking expensive after all.
fever
Glad i came across this thread.
Been using my laptop with battery fully cahrged & plugged into AC power for a while now.
Hasn't bothered me until now. The fridge trick has been mentioned by some of my collegues, but i didn't take much notice at the time.
But i believe it does work.
Also after some questions & research i found that you should remove your battery from laptop when using AC power as mentioned in earlier post.

thanks for the info guys
Gitesh
alas time to change to new battery for my acer laptop., kept it plugged to the switch all the time and ruined it in one year flat., should have come across this thread earlier.