FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mac vs. PC

What computersystem is the best and wich one do you prefer?
Mac
45%
 45%  [ 16 ]
PC
54%
 54%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 35

borud
I'm wondering wich computersystem you prefer.. Mac or PC?
Tell me why.. Wink

Vote, people , don't just view..
Bones
PC because they are simply better. More software, easier and cheaper to upgrade, more OS choices, etc etc
Xeniczone
I picked Mac. Mac's are much more reliable. Much easier to upgrade because you don't have to fool around with Drivers. Mostly Virus Free. (Only 1 discovered). Much nicer looks then the plain white box. Great support. Even supported my discontinued G3 macintosh. Even with the warrenty gone.

Over all Mac OS X I find is a far better OS then Windows. I can't say the same about Linux because Linux is also a far better OS then windows.
deedee
Xeniczone wrote:
I picked Mac. Mac's are much more reliable. Much easier to upgrade because you don't have to fool around with Drivers. Mostly Virus Free. (Only 1 discovered). Much nicer looks then the plain white box. Great support. Even supported my discontinued G3 macintosh. Even with the warrenty gone.

Over all Mac OS X I find is a far better OS then Windows. I can't say the same about Linux because Linux is also a far better OS then windows.

Agree. I picked Mac too. They're smarter, easier to control and will never crash. They don't look like a dull gray box but they'd put some designer work in it. What else do you want?
undoweb
My mac G3/350 boughted along 3 months ago didn`t crashed ( and it stays online every day )!
SnoopDizzile
had a G3 for 5 years..never took it in for repairs..no virus or anything.

I love my Mac, the only thing that brings them down is the Game compatability. But that is fixed now with the Intel Macs...but it will be a long time before everyone switches.

over all Mac beats PC in the long run, just Windows Users are too stuburn to realize that Mac beats them in every way except Gaming Razz

Long Live OSX Cool

Snoop
Bones
How is the Intel core going to fix this? Games still arent going to run under Mac OS no matter what hardware you run it on.
Saber
I go with mac.. Even that I have both.
The hard ware is better quality, and designed better.
OS is very clean and useful.
True you cant upgrade them very much but thats fine.. you generaly dont need to. Also the higher cost come with the hole package.. if you want a PC to work as nicly you have to pay that much to get good quality hardaware...

You are able to put other OS's on macs... namely linux... and thats on everything. Its really not hard to put linux on a mac due to its base is unix..
Also You are able to put windows on a mac... why? I dont know..

The only reason why I use a PC half the time is because I play games...
Apples are made more so for working. But even that I dont like the intel based ones now that is leading to more games on the mac.
Quote:
How is the Intel core going to fix this? Games still arent going to run under Mac OS no matter what hardware you run it on.

Read up on that and you will see, If I have time I will post a link to some articles.
Xeniczone
Quote:

Yes, but if game companys start seeing that Apple is using better hardware and more people start using mac. Then it will start being a game choose. Look at Unreal tornament. It is now avalible for Linux.
Petee
I like PC's because more things will run on them. Sure they may not be 100% reliable, but then again, neither are Macs. I've had a Mac once freeze up on me and then ask me to restart it. Wouldn't let me do anything, save my work, nothing. Just said to restart it. So Mac's are polite, they don't just restart themselves, they ask you to do it for them.

I do like somethings about Mac though. I like Mac OS X, but, some people have had that running on a PC, and you can get free software for a PC that will duplicate the Mac OS X look and feel. Overall, I think PC's are better.
Bones
Xeniczone wrote:
Quote:

Yes, but if game companys start seeing that Apple is using better hardware and more people start using mac. Then it will start being a game choose. Look at Unreal tornament. It is now avalible for Linux.

I've hear a lot of people saying that Mac uses better hardware...not being quite as 'up on my Mac' as you guys are, I am curious what makes you think so..I guess I just find it hard to believe that out of the hundreds of hardware manufacturers, that Mac is the best. For instance, video cards, the two biggest manufacturers in the world are Nvidia and ATI...what video cards does Mac make that are so great?

I can build a pc from the ground up quite easily, but know nothing about Mac hardware architecture..I've never had the time to rip one apart.

Actually, if more game vendors started making software for Mac, it might be good for everyone (well except Mac users). Maybe the competition will make MS try harder. I say except for Mac users, because it is primarily the game industry that drives the hardware industry. I don't think you'll be playing Quake 4, Fear, or Oblivion on a 350Mhz cpu anytime soon, and even if you could tweak it enough, it'd be so ugly it wouldn't be worth the effort. Yes I know the new macs are much faster than 350Mhz, but isn't it much more expensive to upgrade mac hardware than pc hardware?
Xeniczone
A true mac fan will have a powermac Wink
SnoopDizzile
The Intel Macs can use any PC/Windows software..all you have to do is dual boot..so that means running Windows XP on a Mac

You can now do anything you want on a Mac..any program. Which is cool

But the down side is they did it after they came out with all their new products..which ment everyone went and bought the newest G5s and pimped them out, but soon to find out with in a month that there is something new out that is 5x faster, same size, more compatibility and can run almost anything...Like me, i got a new G5 PowerMac and just after the Intels came out Confused

But i like it..i just gota wait for a while then i will get a Intel...and will be pwning you guys up on you PC games Razz

Snoop
{name here}
I pick PC. You can build your own PC and it ends up cheaper than a storebought one. You can use Linux/BSD and get more for even less. A PC can look any way you want it to. The PC is at your exact whim unless you buy a crappy dell 4100, lenovo 3000, or Packard Bell anything, which in case you are at the whim of your PC, and if you bought a Dell, the company also owns your soul.
Bones
riiight..but then you just turned your mac into another Windows box. I think the whole pont of the conversation was to get more games on a mac box, ummm running under Mac OS..after all, this thread is mac vs pc...not pc vs pc
borud
Bones wrote:
I think the whole pont of the conversation was to get more games on a mac box, ummm running under Mac OS..after all, this thread is mac vs pc...not pc vs pc

True, Bones.. Idea
Xeniczone
Quote:
I pick PC. You can build your own PC and it ends up cheaper than a storebought one. You can use Linux/BSD and get more for even less. A PC can look any way you want it to. The PC is at your exact whim unless you buy a crappy dell 4100, lenovo 3000, or Packard Bell anything, which in case you are at the whim of your PC, and if you bought a Dell, the company also owns your soul.

You can build macs. You can easily get the apple motherboard you can find G cpus from companies like PowerLogix. Then the rest of the computer is the same as every other computer.
HoboPelican
These days I think they are about the same. If the mac was a major step better than Windows, it would have a bigger share of the market. As much as I hate Microsoft, they have improved the OS workings. My XP has been running for years without a crash and no virus issues (using free virus prot progs), so I don't see any major disadvantages in those areas.

PCs have more options and it's easier to get repair parts (due to the user base). Still not big issues since most users don't want to get inside anyway.

And OMG, mac-os are still beating their chests about the white box vs Mac's styling? Rolling Eyes

I honestly don't see any earth shattering differences between the two. But I have noticed, Mac owners spend a lot of time patting themselves on the back for buying the "better" 'puter. Smile But that's cool, I did the same thing back when I had my Amiga. Laughing
{name here}
Xeniczone wrote:
Quote:

You can build macs. You can easily get the apple motherboard you can find G cpus from companies like PowerLogix. Then the rest of the computer is the same as every other computer.

Yeah, that's true, but I think it'd be a bit harder because you need to make sure the box is Mac OS compatible hardware. I'd rather buy a mac than buy the parts and build it myself. My head asplode if I did that.
mongogoon
I like pc although i havnt used mac alot. The disadvantages with pc is that they crash and there are a lot of viruses. The advantages is that almost everything is compatabile with Windows. but if the day comes i would switch to Mac.
SnoopDizzile
Why would you mess with a Mac other then uping the Ram/memory and maybe adding a dif Graphix card??..

It comes almost all the way loaded, ready to face the world out of the box..when we got our computer we botted it up and I was playin games in a hour..

A PC, in order to get going smoth you have to put 2-3,000 in to it to get it at a great level..

But over all a mac looks better, cleaner and way smaller. My G5 iMac is 2inch thick and its a 17", with around 3-4 inches going down from the screen. And that is all the comuter Shocked ..no tower, no large fans going 24/7...

Thats another thing..you may have a good gaming PC but i have 4 friends with gaming PC computers and they all have fried their motherboard because of the heat coming off it. And if you have enough fans to keep it at a good level then its to noisy and you almost have to have your headphones cranked u..lol.

I ain't flaming PC, mac has their downs..just i beleive and know that Mac beats a PC in many areas..Hooah!

Snoop
Rocky3478
I can't pick either one. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages...
rfarrand
PC - i love being able to upgrade any component at any time, barring having the money to do so. Plus, many more games work on PC compared to a MAC. Since I am a techie, I love working on my computer, and what is there to work on, for a MAC. Come on now, plus MAC are more expensive. This is a no brainer, granted MAC's are better for graphic design and editing, and video editing as well. I am torn when it comes down to it.

Maybe i just need to have both!
nox-Hand
Mac! They didn't run Windows before, and they don't have virusses, and they run Linux Very Happy

Very nice Smile

nox-Hand
Xeniczone
Macs have a support almost all hardware you buy for them. The only thing it comes down to is if you want a ATI graphics card you will need to buy a special Mac Edition.

Other then that... Buy your harddrives Cd-rom drives cases. What ever you like it will be compadible.
{name here}
Hmm....so OS X isn't that far from being a PC able OS as I thought. I'd think they do something like only use the drivers that come in a mac. At least they didn't do something stupid like integrate the OS near fully with the ROM like they did with OS 9 and down.
HoboPelican
A site for you all to look at. It claims to be trying to make an unbiased comparison of XP and X. I know some of you will take issue with the results, but it is the most balanced analysis I've seen. Final scores were:

Grand total (out of 920 points):

Mac OS X: 642 (643)
Windows XP Pro: 594 (643)
Windows XP Home: 565 (617)

Parenthesis include free software from the manufacturer.
Link to final results - http://www.xvsxp.com/finalscore/index.php

As the site points out, each category was scored on abilities and no areas were weighted more than others, with the belief that individuals all weight certain functions differently.

Again, for those of you who think I'm a Mac basher (you know who you are Wink ), all I'm putting forth is that, these days, they are pretty equivalent and it's just a matter of what you want. Like wanting a Toyota over a Nissan.
nox-Hand
I'd prefer a Toyota o_0

I would also prefer a Mac.. I wish I wasn't broke Crying or Very sad

nox-hand
Xeniczone
Quote:
Hmm....so OS X isn't that far from being a PC able OS as I thought. I'd think they do something like only use the drivers that come in a mac. At least they didn't do something stupid like integrate the OS near fully with the ROM like they did with OS 9 and down.

They only used Rom chips in Macs. g3 beige and down. iMac g3 and Powermac g3 blue and white (fansy version) didn't use those rom chips.

Their are 3 different kinds of desktop macs.

iMac: You get the entire package. New screen, keyboard and mouse, good cpu.

Specials (Cube, Mini): Only get a computer with a lower end cpu.

PowerMac: Generally expensive. Have top of the line parts. Don't come with a Monitor. One can be bought, but are general overpriced.

Funny how everyone here seems to say they like mac, and they have mac over pc. Yet, Nobody here has a Macintosh. What is up with that?
At least {name here} is truthful on his thoughts.
HoboPelican
Xeniczone wrote:

...Funny how everyone here seems to say they like mac, and they have mac over pc. Yet, Nobody here has a Macintosh. What is up with that?

Well, not everyone here said they preferred Macs, Xeni. Wink And I could tell you why there are more Pro-Mac posts than Pro-Windows, but I'm afraid you'd get all defensive again Wink
RhysAndrews
PC all the way. Here's why:

- Mac's have always been made with cheap materials; hardware-wise and case-wise. This is partly why Mac's are sold at a reasonable price. It isn't just Mac's, it's Apple too; Apple Ipods are usually snappable with little force.

- Mac's are NOT easily upgradable; custom parts, hardware, etc to upgrade it from it's previously-cheap parts; and im' not even sure if it's easy opening the cases.

- I know not all Mac's do this, but I do know some do; They shutdown for no reason. At a random time. It's stupid and annoying.

- People say Mac's have good multimedia software and such... but I mean, who cares? ALL of that is most probably available for Windows as well; And if not, there are always alternative programs.

- PC's can run Mac Emulators, so if you at all like Mac's you could still have a PC, enjoy it's advantages, and use Mac as well.

- PC's can run most games, a lot of IDE Tools I have, and maaany more programs than Mac's.

- Mac's are too user friendly; annoying to navigate.

Regards
-Rhys
HoboPelican
RhysAndrews wrote:

Now THAT is gonna draw some comments! Wink But I understand what your saying.
Xeniczone
RhysAndrews wrote:
PC all the way. Here's why:

- Mac's have always been made with cheap materials; hardware-wise and case-wise. This is partly why Mac's are sold at a reasonable price. It isn't just Mac's, it's Apple too; Apple Ipods are usually snappable with little force.

- Mac's are NOT easily upgradable; custom parts, hardware, etc to upgrade it from it's previously-cheap parts; and im' not even sure if it's easy opening the cases.

- I know not all Mac's do this, but I do know some do; They shutdown for no reason. At a random time. It's stupid and annoying.

- People say Mac's have good multimedia software and such... but I mean, who cares? ALL of that is most probably available for Windows as well; And if not, there are always alternative programs.

- PC's can run Mac Emulators, so if you at all like Mac's you could still have a PC, enjoy it's advantages, and use Mac as well.

- PC's can run most games, a lot of IDE Tools I have, and maaany more programs than Mac's.

Regards
-Rhys

Woh dude. This is another case of a PC user that has never used a mac. They just rant randomly.

Macs made out of cheap materials? What. The plastic used on the g3 and g4 Macs are very durable. You can kick them beat them and they still wont brake. If you watch the Mac Sucks video the guys kicks a iMac with no screws it breaks apart but the plastic is still in contact.

Macs are very easy to upgrade. Powermacs being the easyist and iMacs being the hardest. Mac mini really aren't too hard to upgrade many people have bought solo and upgraded to duos without problems. Most of the parts are just laptop parts. Other then trying to find the parts it is easy upgrade.
iMacs ok opening the case just a few screws. Upgrade harddrive and other componets easily. Probably harder to find the laptop parts then it is to upgrade.
PowerMac. Just pull the side of and have fun Smile compadible with almost all pc parts. Just don't use the cheap NEC drives.

Macs don't just shutdown on their own. You must provoke them. It is like trying to make someone betray you in a video game. You have to provoke them before they do it.
Macs crash only as much as a Unix would saying they are based of each other. Mac are unix with a different theme. You are just saying Linux shutdown for some random reason. You say that your just not right.

It not that macs have better software. It just macs proform Media better then Windows does. The hardware is different and it allows macs to proform better at playing or editing dvds or music.

Mac emulators SUCK. How can you enjoy your pc if you have an emulator taking up 80 percent of your cpu. Plus the only real emulator is pearpc and it only supports emulation of the g3. Best if you just get a mac and run windows on it with NO emulation you get the full power of the mac.

PC's do generally have more games, but when it comes to apps and no virus issue. Just face it Mac out does PC almost 4 to 1.

How is it annoy to navigate on a OS that doesn't have 10,001 directorys. With hidden folders that are perfect to hide virues and all sorts of fun stuff to distroy your computer with, and some of those hidden folders don't delete themselfs like microsoft wants you to beleave and they start using up HD space. You wonder why you have to reinstall windows every 6-12 months.

Wow, Just another guy trying to find an excuse for Mac sucks. Horrible really.

Quote:
Well, not everyone here said they preferred Macs, Xeni. Wink And I could tell you why there are more Pro-Mac posts than Pro-Windows, but I'm afraid you'd get all defensive again

I guess I am Razz
HoboPelican
HoboPelican wrote:
A site for you all to look at. It claims to be trying to make an unbiased comparison of XP and X. I know some of you will take issue with the results, but it is the most balanced analysis I've seen. Final scores were:

Since no Mac-oids (or win-oids) responded I assume we just want to pat ourselves on the back on our choice of OS... Wink

Macs. Windows. Linux. They all work pretty well. Why do people feel the need to justify their choice with such vehemence?
geo877
I would say macs beat windows "hands down" seeing as the latest mac laptop for sale around 2000 is almost 2-3 times more powerful than the best destop windows you can buy (around 2500-3000). And virtual pc runs windows fine. Even the english government wont use a windows computer for important project's
Rocky3478
They are all good for different reasons.

Windows is fast. End statememt. It is just plain fast and configurable, but that can take time to set up.

OS X is relatively secure at the moment. But I'd still pick a PC because of AMD Opterons...

Linux is secure and configurable.

Each to his own, and no need to bicker about it. Everyone has their own preferences....
Xeniczone
Quote:
Windows is fast. End statememt. It is just plain fast and configurable, but that can take time to set up.

Windows isn't fast. It is one of the slowest operating systems out their.

It can't run on slow CPU's like Mac or Linux can. Even with all the graphics that Mac and Linux has. Windows still can't run on them. Windows Vista is the worst. Jeez it like to suck the fun out of using a computer.
HoboPelican
Xeniczone wrote:
Quote:

Windows isn't fast. It is one of the slowest operating systems out their.

It can't run on slow CPU's like Mac or Linux can. Even with all the graphics that Mac and Linux has. Windows still can't run on them. Windows Vista is the worst. Jeez it like to suck the fun out of using a computer.

Hi Xeni. Ya got any benchmarks to back that up. I looked but didn't find much either way. Apparently you found articles I didn't. Could you post them for us?
Xeniczone
I didn't use articals. I know from personal experiance. I have a PowerMac running Mac OS X 10.2.8 with a 350mhz g3 just fine.

I have a hard time running windows 2000 on a Pentium 2 at 350mhz. Let alone Windows XP with all of it's fansy stuff.

Linux runs on anything. They still use linux on 486's at 75mhz just because they can and it is a cheap computer to use as a server.

It may not be as noticable when your comparing it to a faster cpu, but when you start slowing the CPU down you start to see how much Windows is affecting your hardware.

o, and lets not mention how slow Vista is that will be a hit below the belt. Wink
{name here}
The only time I have ever had windows act slow on a P III computer was after I installed AOL like a moron. I clean installed it and everything worked fine. However, Sheepshaver can perform up to 4 times faster in X vs. Windows.
N!Ce
I am currently using a PC, I wish I had a Mac aswell tho.

I would miss too many programmes, if I switched to Mac, but having both would be nice =)
Kd527
wow, RhysAndrews I don't seem to have those problems at all. I currently have 4 Macs from various eras.

Anyway, I voted Mac because they have so little problems compared to PCs. I've been a PC user almost all my life. I've built PCs and used Windows, OS/2, and Linux. I've had many problems. I did some research, decided to buy a Mac, and well, I'm never going back! I've been thoroughly satisfied with the Mac. Smile

BTW the new Intel Macs don't need emulators anymore to run PC OSs! (I've already tested Windows XP on an iMac. It's very fast.)
anotheraddict
I can't help but notice that this has degenerated into a osX vs Windows, not Mac Vs PC.

Mac = 1(now possibly 2) OS choices, limited software, stable environment
PC = 3 major OS choices, limitless software, gaming, easy upgradability, stable environment(depending on OS and USER), major support in both hardware and software areas.

Mac is great for people doing video/photo editing for work only, or is using it to browse the net, and use their IPod.

PC is for users who want to do whatever they want with their rig, name anything you can do on a mac, and I guarantee I can do it on a PC, plus I'll have 5-6 diffrent ways of doing it.

This may sound like a knock on Mac's but it isn't, Mac's fit perfectly into their niche market, I advise majority of my family to buy Mac due to their ease of use, little need to upgrade, security, and asthetics.

But I personally am a power user, and I like to have a plethora of options. a PC gives me those options.

.:edit:. i should add, I've been a PC user for many years, and in the last 2 years (since I've learned all the in's & out's of pc's) I've never had a major system crash, and I typically run my PC for upwards of 4-5 days at a time. I use NOD32 antivirus, windows standard firewall, and do manual system maintance (i.e. Defrags, cleanups, structure tests)
Xeniczone
Quote:
Mac = 1(now possibly 2) OS choices, limited software, stable environment
PC = 3 major OS choices, limitless software, gaming, easy upgradability, stable environment(depending on OS and USER), major support in both hardware and software areas.

This really pisses me off. I mean come on. You guys say Mac has almost no software. Did you even bother looking for mac software, or did you just go to walmart and ask do you have mac software. YOU WILL NOT FIND IT AT WALMART, TARGET OR ANY OTHER RETAILER NOT DEICATED TO MAC. You know why because people are b****es. They support the bill gates monopoly. I'm supprised they haven't made that yet. They have dog, nascar monopoly why not Microsoft Monopoly.

Mac is all based on Freeware and Software you can find on may sites. If you go to apple you can find just about every chunck of useful software for mac.

Linux is primaraly based on Freeware and Shareware. You pritty well of with linux. Free OS, Free Software, expensive computer.

Windows is probably the worst thing ever. Windows is stable. In fact it is one of the more stable OSes out their. It is spyware, Viruses, Trojan Horses that make it unstable. To get windows you have to put out a big chunck of cash. To get software for windows you have to put another big chunck of cash. (Linux and Mac have a lot of good freeware) Yes, windows has freeware, but nothing like Linux and Mac.

When you first install Linux what do you get?

1 a Huge list of about 20 games.
2 comes with staroffice for free.

When you first get a Mac what is all the software you get?

1 Dashboard
2 iLife (iTunes, iMovie, iCal...)
3 iDvd(Yes, it comes with FREE dvd codecs so no Expencife software.)
4 cd-writeing software and chess.

Windows?
1 Movie Maker
2 Windows Media Player
Wow we can have hours of entertainment with these apps Very Happy
HoboPelican
Xeniczone wrote:

This really pisses me off. .

Yawn, this is getting old. Xeni just wants to think he's got the best 'puter around for every job and every person and is afraid to admit anything otherwise.

I'm taking this thread off my watch list cause it is just sad.

I'm quoting this again, since the two times before he's ignored it.
Quote:

Have fun, guys!
Very Happy

I'm a ghost!
Rubbinio
Xeniczone wrote:

Funny how everyone here seems to say they like mac, and they have mac over pc. Yet, Nobody here has a Macintosh. What is up with that?

Actually I have a Mac, i got it 1 year go, never shut it down and it runs like a charm. I used to have PC's before running Windows and Linux but the OSX beats it by far. And as a matter of fact, i am thinking of buying a MacBook Pro to replace my second desktop PC.

Software wise i have everything i need on it: Photoshop, Word, Games, everything i had on my PC except viruses and spyware. Not to mention that in 1 year it never crushed once, something you will never do with Windows
Kd527
Quote:

Actually I happen to have four (4) Macs. iMac G3, Power Mac G4 Cube, eMac, iBook G4. And people can say they like them even if they don't own one. There are plenty of ways to use a Mac without owning one. Wink

Someone posted above about Macs having only 2 OSs. There are actually more than that. There are distros of Linux that can run on PowerPC and I imagine that pretty much any PC OS can run on an Intel Mac if Windows can.
{name here}
Quote:
Actually I have a Mac, i got it 1 year go, never shut it down and it runs like a charm.

I'd hate to see your electric bill...
Rubbinio
not that bad, overnight it mostly hibernates and plus the electricity is cheape here
Xeniczone
Quote:
Yawn, this is getting old. Xeni just wants to think he's got the best 'puter around for every job and every person and is afraid to admit anything otherwise.

I'm taking this thread off my watch list cause it is just sad.

I'm quoting this again, since the two times before he's ignored it.

And you just want to be thick headed. Thinking you can use a PC running windows to do every job. Even online so you can get virues.

You just don't have a clue because your one of the people who like to rant about how bad Apple Comptuers are when you never ever tried one.

Quote:
Actually I happen to have four (4) Macs. iMac G3, Power Mac G4 Cube, eMac, iBook G4. And people can say they like them even if they don't own one. There are plenty of ways to use a Mac without owning one

Does your G3 iMac still work?

The Monitor in mine (Revision 1) broke. So everytime I use the computer it would just turn off.

I'm thinking off gutting the whole thing and putting a Apple Motherboard in that supports the Core Duo.
Kd527
Yep, everything works great! I have a 17" Apple Studio LCD Display that has a burned out backlight, but that's the only thing. I got it from eBay, so who knows what happened to it
Rubbinio
Xeniczone wrote:
I didn't use articals. I know from personal experiance. I have a PowerMac running Mac OS X 10.2.8 with a 350mhz g3 just fine.

I have a hard time running windows 2000 on a Pentium 2 at 350mhz. Let alone Windows XP with all of it's fansy stuff.

Linux runs on anything. They still use linux on 486's at 75mhz just because they can and it is a cheap computer to use as a server.

It may not be as noticable when your comparing it to a faster cpu, but when you start slowing the CPU down you start to see how much Windows is affecting your hardware.

o, and lets not mention how slow Vista is that will be a hit below the belt. Wink

So True .... i installed Vista on my Athlon64 with 2Gb of meory and a Radeon X800 on it and it gave me a rating of 1 on my machine. It was taking a century to boot up and not to mention the time it took to open a window.

And then I installed OSX for intel for testing and it run like a breez. I have no drivers for it yet but as soon as they are out, the only PC in my home will run OSX as well.
novisdesign
Max OS X,
Good looks, powerful, easy to use, stable, great software (except games), built in apps, and Apple makes great hardware too.

All great
webbone
I think pc is good for me,Because I can install xp or suse linux on it,So I can install more software than mac,So I think pc is good!
Rubbinio
novisdesign wrote:
Max OS X,
Good looks, powerful, easy to use, stable, great software (except games), built in apps, and Apple makes great hardware too.

All great

Games that Run on Mac: World of Warcraft, Football Manager 06, Football Manager 05, NHL Eastside Hockey 05, just to name a few

Full list of games available here: http://www.apple.com/games/articles/

And HOMMV is coming on Mac as well, so from what I an see more and more companies are starting to move towards OSX as well. And that is good news
Balthamos
I'll choose the Mac over the PC any day Very Happy. More reliable and intuitive to use.

~Balthamos
Fire Boar
timefree wrote:
Linux is primaraly based on Freeware and Shareware. You pritty well of with linux. Free OS, Free Software, expensive computer.

Actually, shareware is software you have to pay for after a bit (a.k.a. trialware), or that nags you to buy a "full" version which is essentially the same thing but doesn't nag you any more. That's something you see predominantly on Windows - you don't get any of it at all with Linux, almost everything is FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) which is freer than freeware in that it comes with total freedom as well as being gratis.

Anyway, Mac vs PC. PC all the way. Not because of Windows, but because of Linux. Smile Macs are essentially glorified toys in comparison.
Diablosblizz
timefree, how about digging up a 3 year old post . . . I can smell the OS war from here. Let's see what games are on a Windows machine.

Windows 7? wrote:
-Chess
-FreeCell
- Hearts
- Internet Backgammon
- Internet Checkers
- Internet Spades
- Mahjong Titans
- Minesweeper
- Solitaire

They support the Bill Gates "monopoly" due to the fact that PC's OWN the share of the computer industry, END OF STORY. Go ask a majority of people, and more than HALF will own a PC. You gotta dish out money for Windows? Have you SEEN the prices for a Mac Book? (3+ grand if you went to Walmart and asked them).

By the way, use tags in your post. I could have gained 5 points automatically by just quoting the first 3 lines of your post.

Fire Boar wrote:
Macs are essentially glorified toys in comparison

I love that statement, and it's so true! <3

Thank you and have a nice day.
weableandbob
PC, as they can run many more programs (namely games =D) and tend to have more support from developers and such. The BSOD is extremely annoying though Crying or Very sad
Kashinilaya
I purchased a Mac after years of using PC. After a month or so I decided never to go back to Windows anymore, but that is not a reliable testimonial... my Windows was a 98 SE and I switched to Tiger! Too many improvements to be less then overwhelmed!
ForceRun
Home of the Fan Boys.

3 Year old thread.

The story is almost as old as Star Wars vs Star Trek.

Some things to keep in mind in order to keep the Geek fight civil:

Argue what you actually know.
Don't attack people, discuss the issue.
If you don't have anything to add, don't.
Don't worry about changing people's minds, state what you want to state and leave it at that.

So here is my background I grew up using Macs mostly, then moved over to Windows 95 for gaming. I still had Macs in the house and knew how to use them. So I would say I have good to fair experience with Macs, I just installed Win 7 on the family PowerMac Xeon 2x Duel Core 3.0Ghz Intel. And since my early gaming years I have learned all I could to get the most out of my gaming system and windows. So I would say I'm an expert as far as Windows goes.

Windows is the winner for gaming, so that is what I use. It is also by far cheaper, so I use it for everything else I do, Photoshop, Video editing, photos, HD Movies, Music, TV Shows, and general internet. And for the most part everything works fine, you just have to know what you are doing. I haven't had a virus for 4 years now. As long as you know what you are doing your system is secure, and for the most part I don't use an anti-virus. I really like being able to upgrade my system at will, and overclock the hardware. There is next to no support from the main player such as Microsoft, but I have made due with the internet and friends.

For what I have now my gaming rig with most of the extras, but just one video card who needs Sli?, cost $1,500 which is a guess as I have piece my system together and upgraded it over time. Including the extra stuff such as 2 widescreen LCDs, nice keyboard, mouse and so on.

Mac have a Mac tax, just is that simple, they cost more. But they work better for Video editing, audio, and photo. But the Windows side really isn't that far behind. The power of computers is in the applications and Mac has some very nice ones that seem a little easier to use overall. The gaming on Macs suck as most game developers have abandoned the platform. The Mac is more secure, but mainly just because the hackers don't waste their time on 5% of the market. Overall the Mac is much easier for the common person to setup and use, and if you pay for it the support is much better than Microsoft's. They do have problems just like PC, they will freeze, lock up, crash, overheat and all that. If your friends have Macs and you are a first time computer user I would say go for a mac. Or there is something that you want to focus on such as Video editing go with Mac. But other than that it is up to you.

The family Intel 2xDuel Core 3.0 GHz Power Mac cost $6,000 with the additional cost of all the high-end software, such as Final Cut Pro with all the extras.