FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

help desktop error.

benzun_1999
i have a tablet pc running xp tablet version, i created multiple user accounts in it. now in the second account i created i cannot delete any shortcuts in the desktop. it keeps telling that the file is in use or something like that. i checked taskmanager but there was nothing like that running. wat do i do??? I cant even move those files from the desktop. i think there is some error in the registry. i ran nortan and it showed no virus.
test32rota
You can use FileMon utility from Sysintrnals. FileMon home page Run filemon, Ctrl-F, enter name of the file, see which process locks the file.
sush
If it's not a regular shortcut it may be defined in the registry (e.g. WIDCOMM bluetooth?) open regedt32 and check everything under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\
\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop

and kill everything that doesnt look normal (check first!)

You could also use the desktop cleanup wizard. If they are normal icons, try logging in as Administrator and deleting the icons from the user's home folder.
benzun_1999
Thanks.

I think it is the registry that i need to check. the icons dont show up in the administrator account.

-Benny