FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

use windows 2000 or XP?

devroom
I have a 350 mhz, 128 mb pc and i want to use it for presentations. I want to show the powerpoint-presentations with the viewer (version 2003)
Now i dont know which os should be running faster and smoother.
I know that the requirements of 2000 are lower, but xp in newer.

Does somebody knows which 1 to use?
Xeniczone
Windows 2000 doesn't have Visual Effects and will take less CPU. You don't have a lot to mess with, with a speed like that. Windows XP will run fine on it but you will need to turn off all the special Effects like the windows xp theme. I have a pentium 2 with the same speed running 2000 just fine. I would go with 2000.
nhuabo
devroom wrote:
I have a 350 mhz, 128 mb pc and i want to use it for presentations. I want to show the powerpoint-presentations with the viewer (version 2003)

I have a computer with 128mb ram,AMD1.10G.
I want to install win2000 on it,I tried many times but failed.
But winxp take up too much rams,and my computer is slowing down.
What can I do with it?
Add a ram to bigger?
Xeniczone
what happens when you try to install 2000 on it?
Transponder
Windows 2000 will work very good on it Smile i have a 500mhz to
and win xp works on it! Wink
teh_razz
I say go with 2000, Windows XP might be too tough and heavy for the system.

-teh_razz
Xeniczone
Yeh, I got windows xp and Halo running on a 450mhz processor with no signs of proformace issues. Though I don't think a slower CPU would help.
b4r4t
I used Xp on Celeron 500 + 128Ram ... it was working OK Smile
Just turnoff effects, change layout to normal windows (not Luna).
2000 will be good too (install SP4), but updates+compatibilyty is on XP's side Smile
You may try to install XP, check how it works, and if it will be too slow, change it to 2000 SP4 Smile
Suplex
I would suggest XP for no other reason than it is more stable than 2000 in all my experiences. I mean, XP is the upgrade to 2000, therefore, by defintion, XP will do more of what you want.

But if I were you, I would just get a good computer.

~Suplex
Dalector
Try XP with the least option it should work. go in control panel then system then in advanced and in performances you should find many options.
{name here}
Use 2000. It's cuts much of the crap that XP will waste on your HD and you'll never use. If you use XP it'll slug on a machine like that(350 Mhz CPU). I have issues with XP on a 866 Mhz CPU. Think of how bad it'll be on that slow of a system.
kelvinpoon
Since you've got 128 Mb RAM only, i recommand you to install Windows 2000 since Windwos XP use lots of memory to run some effects. It will totally slow down the performance if you do not have enough RAM(At least 256Mb).
kelvinpoon
nhuabo wrote:
devroom wrote:

I have a computer with 128mb ram,AMD1.10G.
I want to install win2000 on it,I tried many times but failed.
But winxp take up too much rams,and my computer is slowing down.
What can I do with it?
Add a ram to bigger?

What happen to you when you try to install Win2000?
what does it said?
Xeniczone
If you do go with XP then tell me the proformace. I want to see the proformace of a xp vs. X
selim06
devroom wrote:

I think you should use The oldest "NT"based Windows version..And choose 2000 if you won't upgrade your PC..
Suplex
I would still suggest XP but since someone brought up the fact tat XP uses to much memory for flashy rubbish (which it does), I'll go ahead and point out something else.

You can download TweakXP (a MS PowerToy) and put a stopper on all those effects, as well as several other things. TweakXP will let you control much things you cannot otherwise get a handle on.

If you do choose XP, use TweakXP as well. It's free, but unsupported by MS.
hrtorrent
Why don't you use Windows 98 second edition Question
Or Linux?

Cool

On torrent sites you can find special Windows XP versions, adjustable to be run on older computers. It's small size OS, without many parts, but for prezentations can be good.
Xeniczone
Windows 1-3.1, 95, 98, me are all based on a differnet kernal then the NT kernal. They don't feature Strong sucurity like passwords. It also will not run NT based programs.

On the other hand. NT, 2000, XP are all based of the NT kernal and will let you do all the stuff.

Linux would be a great choose. Just only if your not using Office. It will not run on linux. Emulation is out of the issue with that slow CPU. You can always get StarOffice instead.
izcool
I would recommend Windows 2000 for that computer. I once tried Windows XP Home Edition on a Pentium 2 computer @ 333MHz. It ran horribly slow. I wouldn't even consider Windows XP unless it had at least a Pentium 3 processor in it. The more RAM, the better. Always. Smile I would recommend against Windows 98 SE, it's just too outdated. Windows 2000 should work just sufficient for that machine.

- Mike.
webbone
My pc like your pc,I'm installed win2000 system,Because xp need more memory!
Hogwarts
Windows XP. If you turn off all fancy-dance effects, fidget with BIOS, clean boot etc. it will run sah-weet. I once got Windows XP to only take up 40 megs of ram overall with mIRC running. But thats my little secret Wink
foodman
well since your system is a little bit weaker for the best use of XP you should just go with 2000. even though i have had numerous problems with 2000,its probably best for you..
TheGeek
Yea, i say windows 2000 personally. With the specst that you are running. You wont be able to run XP. XP requires a min. of 256MB RAM and more than a GIG of processing power to run smoothly. 2000 is made to run on machines like yours so its definatly your best option.
Greyhound
win2000 of coz, winxp run on such a old computer will be very slow.
chriswest
You should definately stick to Windows 2000. With the bloat of Windows XP you computer will slow down to a crawl. Personally I stuck to windows 2000 right up to last year even though I have a really quick computer (3ghz) . Remember the golden RULE.

To Update with out being forced to is to invite problems.
The only exception to this rule, in my opinion is virus scanning and protection programs which should always be kept up to date. And Web surfing browsers which I like to keep somewhat up to date (usually a version or two behind the newest one.)

Much (read all) of the time when new software comes out it is always very buggy. Wait it out until the problems are fixed and the patches applied then swoop in for the kill on some cheaper, better software.

Wait out Windows xp until Vista is out then get a new computer with it preinstalled. make sure Vista is out for at least 6 months before you get it though as I am sure it will have a ton of bugs. Exclamation
alienjones
No XPeriments, no question... win2k should be the OS of your choice.
It's stable and meanwhile kinda secure Wink
You won't have a lot of fun using XP on an old and weak PC like that.
elyah_ariel
devroom wrote:

With the actual computer configuration, you should use win 2000. XP is more adapted to Pentium IV and over...
elyah_ariel
devroom wrote:

With the actual computer configuration, you should use win 2000. XP is more adapted to Pentium IV and over...
elyah_ariel
devroom wrote:

cheeta
@devroom

well u know if u can desable all the visual theme of windows XP, it will just run a fast as windows 2000

i am running a system with Windows XP SP2 with IE7/WMP11 and all other mejor updates to date... i use OneCare as the AVS on that system...

its config? P II @ 400 MHz with 128MB SD RAM... though the boot up is realy slow... but running is not bad....

windows XP is not a bad option if u know how to config it to run on a slow system...
kkzone
i would recommend a customize version of windows xp using nlite or other u can remove unwanted components that comes with windows so that it runs at maximum speed for the current configuration
loveit
i'm using xp.but it is said that win2000 is faster.
aayushsrivastava14
I dont't think Windows XP will run on that configuration. And I don;'t find Windows 2000 that much hot. (I suspect if latest software will run on it) Maybe you can try a well known but light-weight linux distro named Puppy Linux. It is very small sized and can even run on very old computers. And what's more you can get most of the software you need preinstalled and believe me it even looks better than Win 2000 if not XP.
cabenqc
For sure WinXP is a better option.
So, the box can be more useful.
I suggest to google "Win XP Lite Edition"
marathon13
Windows xp was the best! Smile
zarawatsonn
I am a die hard fan of Windows XP, in my early days with computer i only use XP until windows 7 is not arrived.
Da Rossa
XP is gone, fellows! Time to move on! Windows 10 is here, and it's nice!
deanhills
Da Rossa wrote:
I don't have anything against Windows 10, but I have a deep distrust of Microsoft. Windows XP was a great Windows software because of it simplicity. I've moved on from it, but I feel pretty nostalgic about Windows XP.
Marcuzzo
deanhills wrote:
Da Rossa wrote:
I don't have anything against Windows 10, but I have a deep distrust of Microsoft. Windows XP was a great Windows software because of it simplicity. I've moved on from it, but I feel pretty nostalgic about Windows XP.

Guys, I used to love XP at the time too, 10 years earlier I was saying the same about my NES.

On XP you had your NIC automatically set-up and the OS was more 'stable' then 2000. Yet BOSD's were not oncommon, especially for the ones that liked to mess around with the system.
Running XP now (in 2016) is a big nono, and this topic dates back to a time when XP was still the main OS, especially in corporate environments. (I think that) one year later the beta of the abomination known to man as Vista announced so IMO this topic falls under either nostaligic or fossil.

Wink
deanhills
Marcuzzo wrote:

Running XP now (in 2016) is a big nono, and this topic dates back to a time when XP was still the main OS, especially in corporate environments. (I think that) one year later the beta of the abomination known to man as Vista announced so IMO this topic falls under either nostaligic or fossil.

Wink
Very true and well said. Windows XP was programmed for different hardware than what we have today. RIP XP.

My heart says I want to keep the thread open for just a little longer, but my head says it needs to be closed. If anyone wants it re-opened, please PM Ankhanu or me.