FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Peoaple actually do this for a hobby!

udaykamboj
I received an email a few days ago about these people who have a hobby to make objects from ice in Lake Placid. I was really flabagasted to see such wonders.

Does anyone know where the hell they learn to do all this kinda stuff? It can't be a god gift to them!

It's just super cool to see these things!

Awesome!

Peace!
scryoko
Hi,

Well, I've never actually seen an ice sculpture, much less seen one actually create one, but I have seen pictures and yes... they are so damn awesome! I mean, think of the amount of effort they must put into it, carving, chipping, and scraping away at the ice to get it to look like what they want it to... And not only that either. Just think... if they happened to hit the chisel too hard someplace and a relatively large chunk fell off, instantly killing all their hard work! Hm... I wonder what they do in that situation though. I mean, do they adjust the finishing product to cover up the mistake? Or do they... I don't know... somehow add more water there and wait till it freezes or something? ...Wait... geez, that sounds impossible (and not to mention ridiculous) even to me (I mean, how the hell would they manage that?! *falls over twitching at own stupid idea*)...

Yup, now they've got my props. Because with me, shoot... I have enough trouble already with paint (...don't ask, haha, just don't ask...), but sculpture? *whistles* Hm... now something's just hit me. Who's got it harder than people sculpting from ice is those sculpting from stone. Especially back in the day when they didn't have the technology to meld stone together (wait, is that even possible right now?? *sweatdrop*). Okay, now I am in absolute awe... *laugh*

Regards,
-- scryoko
Etabeeta
I once saw a movie with a guy making a HUGE ice sculpture. He used like a chainsaw. It was over 5 metres tall and like 10 metres wide (it was a woman lying down). And he had this pillar to hold her up and when he was doing the finishing touch on it, the whole thing collapsed on him!
scryoko
What happened to the guy in the movie? I mean, did he end up dying, or did he actually have some warning before he was (miraculously) saved? Hm... put that in real life perspective... *hiss* That sculpture is huge... Not to mention it'd be heavy like a giant stone and freezing! *shiver*

Regards,
-- scryoko
Etabeeta
scryoko wrote:
What happened to the guy in the movie? I mean, did he end up dying, or did he actually have some warning before he was (miraculously) saved? Hm... put that in real life perspective... *hiss* That sculpture is huge... Not to mention it'd be heavy like a giant stone and freezing! *shiver*

Regards,
-- scryoko

I dont know -.- It didnt seem to hit him straight on, maybe on the legs and pelvis so maybe he broke some stuff but survived.

Well haveto look deeper into this Smile
hlavco
Ice sculptures are cool. Has anybody seen that hotel in Canada or Russia or something that's made entirely out of ice? I think they said they have to rebuild it every year... I don't really believe that, it's probably somewhere that the ice doesn't melt, but hey: I saw that TV show like three years ago, and wasn't paying particular attention.
jasmine
I like ice sculptures! There was one movie wherein one was made to actually be a serving furniture of punch in a party! A hole was made somewhere in the ice sculpture and punch flows through it. Really neat!

Only, what makes it sad is it would soon melt. Sad
FunFunkyFritz
hlavco wrote:
Ice sculptures are cool. Has anybody seen that hotel in Canada or Russia or something that's made entirely out of ice? I think they said they have to rebuild it every year... I don't really believe that, it's probably somewhere that the ice doesn't melt, but hey: I saw that TV show like three years ago, and wasn't paying particular attention.

They really do rebuild the hotels & church each year, at least the ice hotel they build in Sweden : http://www.icehotel.com/Winter/Icehotel

I've heard that ice is a really pleasant material to sculture. You can use almost any kinds of tools - chainsaws, drills, heaters, knifes etc. And if you make a mistake you can fix it with snow and water Smile
SusieSmacktard
I'd love to visit the icehotel in Sweden. I also heard a rumor there's another one in northern Canada. Anyone know about this one?
FunFunkyFritz
All i know about the Canadian ice hotel is the web link: http://icehotel-canada.com. Judging from the pictures it looks like a nice place.
Motoracer380
ive seen some ice sculptures...they where making them downtown where i live..it was cool to see...
Motoracer380
i looked some up check these out

there ya go
DoctorBeaver
This ice marvel was built in St Paul with blocks from Lake Michigan. It's 18 storeys tall! At night it's lit up with different colour lights (see 2nd pic).

jasmine
These are absolutely gorgeous!

It's quite sad to know that these would melt sooner or later. Sad
Scorpio
Those pics were really breath taking beaver...

I wonder how they do it??

Quote:
It's quite sad to know that these would melt sooner or later.

You can always put them in a large freezer box Wink
jasmine
scorpio wrote:
Those pics were really breath taking beaver...

I wonder how they do it??

Quote:
It's quite sad to know that these would melt sooner or later.

You can always put them in a large freezer box Wink

I can almost imagine the size of that freezer box! LOL

We could probably live in it too! Very Happy
lors
Those pictures of ice sculptures are amazing. I've seen them make some on tv before and I am in awe of their talent and the speed at which they can make something beautiful from a block of ice.
Soulfire
The castle was awesome! Hmm, we need a castle for our prom next year, let's think... an ice sculpture that is a castle! Yes! We'll kill 2 birds with one giant stone castle.

Anyways, if you think the ice is cool (and it is), you should look up some sand sculptures. There's some cool sandcastles, and it doesn't stop there.
XSTG
Looks nice to make ice things...
Zug Zug
I love ice sculptures. I would love to do one...but I'm not gifted for the sculpting arts. I saw this one thing on the discovery channel, where they were making a hotel....a real hotel...of ice. Like ice beds/everything of ice. It was so cool to see an ice bed/couch lol. I think that the people who do sculpt ice are very patient/talented people. I think it's a very beautiful art.