FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[SUGGESTION] Crack down on spelling, grammar and spam

simplyw00x
I really appreciate what Frihost is doing (despite the fact that I have yet to put my websaite up). It is, therefore, very sad to see such a great forum made painful to read by idiots who should be warned/banned/executed.

There's another forum I post at (LWS), which has a no-AIM speak policy, at the threat of an instant warning. I think that the standards of English are getting painfully low, the problem of people spamming c&p'd tutorials without credit is reaching epidemic and I am sick of reading replies with an emoticon at the end of every line.

I propose a verbal warning for a post that demonstrates a predominant disregard for English (excluding typoes), followed by increasingly severe warnings and eventually a temporary bannination.

Spamming is bad. If you're trying to grow the forum by adding the incentive of free hosting, fine. But in not making it clear that a member's presence here is entirely dependent on them actually contributing, you create a swathe of members who simply go on spamming runs every so often to top up their points.

Don't get me wrong; this place is great and it's a joy to post here. The only problem is the discomfort of having to wade through the tide of idiocy that the free hosting promotion seems to have drawn here.
mirzapirza
It seems to me that a lot of people here aren't even from English speaking countries, so how can we expect them to do anything but their best? Personally, I'm not bothered much. Grow some tolerance and lighten up dude.

I think the best thing we can do is be good examples. If using proper English on a place like this really is such a superior approach, then I'm sure they will catch on.

About spam. I think a rating system (where your hosting points are based on your rating) might be a good approach. Yes, I consider the pasting of tutorials pretty annoying too.

What kind of people do you think want free hosting? Mostly kids I'd bet.
Maka
Totally agree but man it is hard haveing to move so much spam and check every single post.
Bondings
simplyw00x wrote:
I think that the standards of English are getting painfully low

I agree that the standards are low, but they are improving. In the beginning we were flooded with people not even able to write a sentence in English that I could understand. I'm doing my best to improve that.

simplyw00x wrote:
I am sick of reading replies with an emoticon at the end of every line

I am one of those addicted people, but I'll try to minimize that. However smilies are used to give a specific meaning to a sentence just like we do by pronouncing something ironically or with a big smile, that we aren't able to express with text.

simplyw00x wrote:
I propose a verbal warning for a post that demonstrates a predominant disregard for English (excluding typoes), followed by increasingly severe warnings and eventually a temporary bannination.

A verbal warning is maybe a bit too much, but it is certainly something we have to improve gradually.

simplyw00x wrote:
Spamming is bad. If you're trying to grow the forum by adding the incentive of free hosting, fine. But in not making it clear that a member's presence here is entirely dependent on them actually contributing, you create a swathe of members who simply go on spamming runs every so often to top up their points.

A lot of members do that. Unfortunately there will always be some people who only post to raise their points. Our job is to make that group as small as possible by creating quality topics, giving a good example and stopping the worst spam.

simplyw00x wrote:
There's another forum I post at (LWS), which has a no-AIM speak policy, at the threat of an instant warning.

The difference between frihost and lws is that lws has been around for more than 4 years and we only a bit more than 2 months. We are very young, but that can only improve. Our community will grow and only the non-spam quality members will (hopefully) stay.

I am also trying to start a lot of new features for Frihost, like the directory of websites hosted by us and I have a lot of other future plans to improve Frihost, like improving the "community feeling" in this forum by doing several things together. (but more information about this in a few weeks)
simplyw00x
Quote:
I am one of those addicted people, but I'll try to minimize that. However smilies are used to give a specific meaning to a sentence just like we do by pronouncing something ironically or with a big smile, that we aren't able to express with text.

I dig, but some people feel compelled to end every line with a smilie, for no good reason.

Quote:
A verbal warning is maybe a bit too much, but it is certainly something we have to improve gradually.

I mean a big fat red notice edited into the post saying 'please use correct spelling' etc.

As Ive said, I really appreciate what you're doing here, and I also appreciate that there are a lot of people on this board whose first language isn't English. I can see you're trying to improve, I just think it can be sped along now with a firmer stance.