FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Tell new members to look at ALL the available catagories.

ocalhoun
A lot of the spam I see is due to new members who are, apparently unaware of a better catagory in which to put their new topic. I figure this might be helped a little by telling all new users to look at all the available catagories before they post, and giving them a warning about what happens when you don't.

Another possible thing to do would be to either tell them or force them not to start a new topic until they have XX posts.
LukeakaDanish
NO NO NO NO...Bad idea! Shocked

We dont want users to be warned for something as trivial as posting the wrong place - we should rather just have it the way it is where someone (that could be you) PM's an admin and asks them to move the post! - this needs to be a good place for newbies aswel as "addicts" like you Very Happy

Forcing them not to start new topics...NO...that PROMOTES spam rather than stop it - if you need 50 posts to start a topic people we will get 50:
Quote:
LOL

Before someone asks some very appropriate question in for example a programming forum - we dont want that either!
simplyw00x
I think it's just sheer laziness when someone posts something in the wrong forum. How about a '3 strikes' rule. If they still can't get it after posting in the wrong place twice, they get a time limited ban to give them time to lurk more.
Marston
I don't understand why you guys think you can prevent noobish behaviour. It's not going to work. No matter what you do. People won't read warnings about what happens when they break the rules, just like people don't read announcements or stickies.
n0obie4life
simplyw00x wrote:
I think it's just sheer laziness when someone posts something in the wrong forum. How about a '3 strikes' rule. If they still can't get it after posting in the wrong place twice, they get a time limited ban to give them time to lurk more.

The 3 strikes rule is already there.