FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Custom Computer Spec - Give Opinion

alkady
EDIT: I've changed the Mid Level Intel's Hard Drive from a 200 GB HDD to a 250 HDD without sacrificing anything except the brand.

Edit: I've updated the Mid Level Computer to opt for a cheap generic type motherboard so I could add a 200 GB Hard Drive. I've also added a line for the AMD Chip, So far I've chose a Sempron since I want to concentrate on the Affordable PC market

Summer Vacations are coming and instead of getting a summer job working minumum wage flipping burgers at McD, I wanted to get into Computer Building and launch my own Computer Company. I have compiled a list of computers and their selling price in Canadian Dollars. Could you please tell me if the prices are reasonable and/or a good value computer for it's price.

Mid Level Computer $800 CDN ($711.97 UDS)
Pentium IV 506 2.66 GHZ
ECS P4M800-M7
512 MB DDR 2 533 MHZ
Samsung 250 GB 8 MB SATA2 7,200 RPM
X-Blade 380W Fan
DVD RW LG 16X Dual Layer + Black
Windows XP

It would cost $650.00 CDN ($578.54 USD) if you drop the Windows and head for a Open Source Alternative like Linux. (Or hopefully an In-House Alternative)

Also for an additional $125 CDN ($111.83 USD) you'd get
Pentium IV 805 Dual Core 2.66 GHZ
Maxtor 300 GB 8 MB SATA2

This is the mid level computer, I also have a cheaper alternative, A Entry level that cost

Entry Level $500 CDN ($444.67 USD)
Celeron 3.0 GHZ
256 MB DDR400 Memory
P5V800-MX
Maxtor 80 GB 8 MB SATA2
X-Blade 380W Fan

Obviously the low end computer isnt as cheap as many low end computers, But its still powerful and cost that much because it's part of the X-Series which put Design (Looks) and Quality together.
All of this backed by a 1 Year Warranty on Labor, On Site Repair & Setup ($45 Value)

Intel Alternatives - Entry Level - $500 CDN ($444.67 USD)
Sempron 2600+
K8M800-M2
256 MB DDR400 Memory
Maxtor 80 GB 8 MB SATA2
X-Blade 380W Fan

If you have any suggestions on what to replace or add, Its be appreciated, Alot of my friends tell me the 3 GHZ in a low end computer is a bit farfetched but replacing it with a 2.53 GHZ Celeron takes off $19 dollars to the least, Which isnt much.
Helios
If you really want to sell(make $$$), focus on 3 main things(even 4):

Processor, Video Card, HD "space" and probably memory.

Most of the people know nada about computer hardware.
You should come to them with bombastic names, "speeds" or whatever the usual computer buyer will ask for.

You should put cheap hardware in a nice wrap.

Sell 3GHz processors, convince 'em that 512 MB DDR is still better than 1 GB DDR(oh, it's possible lol, just tell 'em 512 is still enough and 1 GB is "too much"), sell 'em "high-end" cards with low video memory.
Another thing, many people think that more HD space is better.
Thus you should sell them 200~GB HDs but with low read/write speeds.

Anytime they ask you about a certain "problem" with the hardware, convince them it's a software fault.

Anything else(P.S, Soundcard, motherboard, case etc): GENERIC.

If you recognize an experienced user though, "build" a custom machine with him while using some convincing language. If you know that I mean...

That's how many computer sellers make money.
alkady
^ I'm still making a good $100 per system, But I guess its a good idea to go for generic motherboards. With a ECS Motherboard, I can easily Lower the cost of the Mid End X-Serie to $600.00 CDN w/ Windows or I can instead add 200 GB of HDD space and sell cheaper HDD upgrades. But generic case, It would just ruin the X-Serie Main Idea of great Design.
ForceRun
I don't see why you have to sell worthless computers, put together a system that will be able to run vista and only sell it if you yourself would use it. You need to build a good reputation, and you need to be able to stand behind your systems. Quality over quanity is the key. Sure put to gether a cheap white box for the really low endders, but let them know what they are getting. And if you are just starting out why not make fully custom systems, based on the buyer needs and budget.

Mobos are mostly the same, so it is fine to go with the cheaper one, just make sure it has everything you need like on board sound and eithernet. And there are a few compains to stay away from like PCChips (Pure Crap). Don't cheat on the CPU, Celerons are worthless because their lack of L2 Memory, let people know that they will have to pay for for a good cpu. the 805 2.66 is a killer deal, sell those. And remember vista will need a video card at least a GeForce 6+, there is some more powerful onboard video now like the ATi X300, but a video card can still do so much more! I really think 1 Gb of RAM is a must, or the system is really slowed down waiting on the hard drive virtual memory. It is fine to go with a small HD, and a cheap PSU and Case. And people really like the 16x DL DVD writers, and they only cost $35. There is my two cents, good luck.
NGRU-Kamikazie
Quote:
Mid Level Computer $800 CDN ($711.97 UDS)
Pentium IV 506 2.66 GHZ
P5ND2-SLI
512 MB DDR 2 533 MHZ
Maxtor 80 GB 8 MB SATA2
X-Blade 380W Fan
Windows XP

I would suggest shopping from the egg a bit first. Lets start from the ground up....

MOBO:
ASUS P5ND2-SLI Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce 4 SLI Intel Edition ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $89.99

Video Card:
Leadtek PX7600 GT Geforce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail $172.99

Processor:
Intel Pentium 4 640 Prescott 800MHz FSB LGA 775 EM64T Processor Model BX80547PG3200F - Retail $209.99

Memory:
pqi TURBO 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model PQI25400-1GDB - Retail $69.99

HD:
SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series SP2504C 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $79.99

DVD:
LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black ATAPI/E-IDE Model SHW160P6S04 - Retail $38.99

Case:
ASPIRE X-Superalien ATXA6SW-BL/500 Blue Aluminum Server Computer Case ATX aluminum 500W see-through power supply Power Supply - Retail $139.99

Subtotal: $801.93

The mobo has 2 more spots for PC 5700 memory as well as another PCIe 16x spot to upgrade to 2 SLI 7600GTs effectively doubleing ur video capacity. NBot only is it under 100 dollars more then ur medium range PC it will play any game to date released on max with little to no lag, the only slowing point will be your memory but you again have 2 more spots and if you replace what I recomended the MOBO can support up to 8 gigs of ram.

there is absolutely no need to be putting duo core or dule core processors in any PC, they are designed for servers. Yes they give a slight boost in power, but keep in mind there is a loss too in the performance since it has to send data between the 2 processors.

Keep in mind tho this is a barebones system, there is no monitor keyboard or mouse included in the price, as once you buy 1 Pc there really is no need to buy another with all that crap as you should have it from the last one.
alkady
NGRU-Kamikazie wrote:

Keep in mind tho this is a barebones system, there is no monitor keyboard or mouse included in the price, as once you buy 1 Pc there really is no need to buy another with all that crap as you should have it from the last one.

True, The only reason I don't include speakers, mouses, keyboards or anything like that is because these are stuff people tend to go for in their own personal taste. It would be stupid to make them spend like an extra hundred dollars for something they will just end up buying at the store.
ForceRun
Quote:
there is absolutely no need to be putting duo core or dule core processors in any PC, they are designed for servers. Yes they give a slight boost in power, but keep in mind there is a loss too in the performance since it has to send data between the 2 processors.

The 805 total beats the P4 604, and cost half. And there are some cool things that duel core can do. Plus vista will finally use the extra power and with just the system upgrade people will have a nice free increase in CPU preformance. Thats why I say use the Pentium D, and you can do a basic over clock to 3.4Ghz off the stock cooler!!! Also there is no reason to spend $50 just for an SLi MoBo that most poeple will never use!
Xeniczone
I would go AMD.

Intel is falling behind.

If you do decide to go intel go with a newer cores not the Prescott. The prescott run extremely hot compared to what they should.
alkady
Xeniczone wrote:
I would go AMD.

Intel is falling behind.

If you do decide to go intel go with a newer cores not the Prescott. The prescott run extremely hot compared to what they should.

I am working on a AMD Line for the X-Serie Alternatives and a X-Serie Genesis which concentrates on Next-Gen components.

EDIT: I've added a AMD Version for the same price.
izcool
That looks OK to me. I built 3 of my own computers (the first one I built was my best, and still is my best out of any computer I own). Details can be found here.

http://www.izcool.be/network.php?page=details&id=14

This was over a year ago when I built it.

- Mike.
henrygl
i said this already AND WILL SAY IT AGAIN:

(from another post)

One thing your pc definetely lacks is a tv tuner. I currently own a custom PC and could not live without my tv tuner. It allows me to watch and record TV. If you have enough money to build that PC, then you should seriously consider getting hmm....2 Happauge PVR 500 w/ dual tuner. That's four tuners for you, which means you can record 4 shows at a time, or watch one and record 3. I would pair that up with a pretty sleek PVR software called GBPVR. I used XP MCE in the past; it's amazing for everything but TV, which I find the TV UI is not good at all. I also use the Snapstream RF Remote, which does a terrific job. Well here that's it sooo have fun!

www.snapstream.com/firefly
www.hauppauge.com
ForceRun
Quote:
i said this already AND WILL SAY IT AGAIN:

(from another post)

One thing your pc definetely lacks is a tv tuner...

I guess he has no clue what this forum is about, the newer specs look good. And other than the sweet 805 Duel Core I agree, use AMD based systems.[/quote]