FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What are your favourite RPG/MMORPG features?

ocalhoun
I'm working on my mmorpg, Aerth. Before I get too much further, I want to see if there are any features I should include.
So let's have it, was there an item storage method you really liked on some RPG? Did you love the fact that you could interact with players in certain ways on a MMORPG? If you have anything like this, please tell me about it here in as much detail as you can. You'll probably see it in my game when I'm done. (a couple of years at this rate.) Don't worry about suggesting things I'm already going to include, if you do, you still might give me ideas for refinements of those.
Note, I don't really care what your favourite RPG game was, only what features of it made it your favourite.
Saber
well heres a few things to start off:
-a message system between players, sometimes with a friends list,
-being able to remap keys, so for the people that dont/cant use somekinds of mapping
-some kind of mail system
-some kind of auction(if theres going to be massive trade between people)
-some people like it when they can effect things in game, such as buying places,houses, shops, inns(I dont know if thats relavent)
-some place where players are able to store items, like a bank
-umm, will update my post when I have time for more.

Hope that helps, and I can explane something if I didnt make sense

Saber
ocalhoun
Those are some good ideas, expecialy these; I hadn't thought of most of these.
Saber wrote:

-being able to remap keys, so for the people that dont/cant use somekinds of mapping
-some kind of auction(if theres going to be massive trade between people)
-some people like it when they can effect things in game, such as buying places,houses, shops, inns(I dont know if thats relavent)
-some place where players are able to store items, like a bank
n3k0
- To be able to make a profession, and earn money with that.
- To be able to write during the fight (in wow it's nearly imposible)

May be those are obviously but they are not easy to reach

- well-balanced skills and races
- A lot of quests (I prefer to do 100 sort quests than one long quest) and places to go.
Insanity
I would have to say a well balanced RPG would have to have balanced characters and an interesting storyline as well as some addictive features. MMORPGs should have the same, but also have a good community (because nobody wants to play to jerks) and good servers. Nothing sucks more than an overloaded server where it lags all the time.
DMAonline
You do really need to have balanced characters. It is no good having people topping out on the levels and then newbs not being able to do anything. I think there should be some sort of handicap, or leveling of the field so there is more interaction between the hardcore players and those that play only occasionaly or just started.
Nameless
- A fighting system that actually feels like you're DOING something, not just click on the enemy and then wait until one of you dies.
- Even better: Real time fighting (like an action fighting game).
- NOT having to spend ages repeating trivial tasks to improve a skill. It would be fun to have some way of fast-tracking it, skipping that large 'training' session, or just making the skills increase based on what you've achieved (If you manage to catch an uber-fish, automatically go up a whole bunch of skill levels if you haven't already. Thus it's much more of a challenge, but the reward will save you time catching the normal fish over and over. Same with fighting monsters and stuff.)
- And, on that note, being able to at least TRY hard tasks even if your skill isn't anywhere near high enough. You'll fail 90% of the time, but it's just unrealistic and annoying to see a message like: 'You can't cut that tree down because your woodcutting skill isn't high enough'. WTF?
- No set professions. Just a whole bunch of skills. If you always fight for a while, then try to use magic you will suck. But if you then study magic for a while you will get better BUT your fighting skill will slowly decrease as you do so. Obviously the system would be more complex than this, but you get the idea. Don't stick characters to a class and then not allow them to change their mind, or go half-and-half between classes or something.
KSheriff
In general, if it's going to be a group centered game, it is absolutely necessary to have a good lfg system. I like the prospect of simply tagging myself as available for "X" dungeon as opposed to sitting in a channel and spamming for group members.

I enjoyed WoW quite a bit due to its extensive quests. At every level there are more than enough quests to do if you're willing to do a little travelling. One thing that did bug me though was the quest log cap. I'd like to be able to be on an infinite number of quests.

Obviously, a diversity is very important in regards to both settings and monsters. I can't tell you how sick I am of seeing 25 colour variations of the same model to distinguish mob lvls. While it is understandable, when said mobs inhabit 7 zones in majority, it is not a good thing. Take the time to create a world with diverse geography and ecology. It just makes the game much more fun to explore and grind.
raman
I think pvp play is one of the most important features. The game must have a good pvp system in place in order for the game to be good. However, I also like mmorpgs with lots of good quests and items to find,
ocalhoun
KSheriff wrote:
is absolutely necessary to have a good lfg system.

What is lfg? I probably have some version of it if it's so important, but what's it stand for?
Stinger
i suggest downloding a mmorpg of the internet and playing it for a bit, then you can get some ideas, not copy them but say if u where playing it and you realised that something was missing in that game you could include that i yours, for example character creating or somthing or a detailed help system. Also the leveling system would go down well to keep players playing so they want to get better. Also maybe you could include some premium items so people can pay to get, so you can make some money out of it lol :p.
Also ive been playing Silkroad Online Recently and the thing i like about that is that you can develop your attacking skills Razz But the thing missing on that game is lifestyle skills like fishing lol or mining Smile the sort of things you would get on runescape :p
Saber
I think by "lfg", he means, “looking for group”. So people playing by them selves(or not) are able to find other people to play with.