FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Chinese Keyboards...

LukeakaDanish
One of the big questions in my life Mr. Green has always been what chinese/japanese keyboards look like...

For quite a while i quite liked the idea of an entire room, almost like an aircraft c0ckpit (the 0 is to prevent censor Very Happy), with keys all around you - though that always seemed very inconvenient for the average person to own...

I decided to have a look on WIKIPEDIA, and apparently you either use some form of character/voice recognition software (they SUCK...i trained one for 5 hours straight and it still only had an accuarcy percentage of around 80% or something), or you combine letters to make them little pictures...which must be REALLY confusing... Eh?

Check out the picture of this chinese keyboard:

Imagine learning to "Touch Type" on that Mr. Green Applause

Share your thoughts (especially any chinese and or japanese people!)

Sincerely

Luke
n0obie4life
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinyin_method

I use the pinyin method to type chinese Confused.

Nothing so difficult about that me thinks.
Assiez
Believe it or not, most keyboards in china are the usual qwerty ones found in america or england. Chinese charaters are made up of several standard parts, kinda like an alphabet but not exactly. The keyboards usually have the normal english letters but sometimes also have those special marks above them. To type a word, they just punch in the components. It's not that diffcult actually.

Here's a pic

though I don't know for sure, I assume jappeanse ones are like that too.

and of course most of the younger generation uses pinyin. Personally I think they could switch all of Chinese to pinyin without trouble.
alkady
^ That Keyboard looks interesting, I always thought in the Chinese Language there was no Alphabet so it must be difficult to write in CHinese.
n0obie4life
alkady wrote:
^ That Keyboard looks interesting, I always thought in the Chinese Language there was no Alphabet so it must be difficult to write in CHinese.

There is actually.

PinYin Smile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinyin_method
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinyin
Saber
as other people have said, pin yin is the way most chinese use their keyboard. As for my self being htere for two months, in bigger cities such as beijing and smaller ones such as yinchuan all the computers I ever saw had normal keyboards; The rest is software.

Also a side note.. allmost all the internet cafe's I saw(a lot of people use them because theres a lot of people that cant afford internet service in their home still, but mostly out side of bigger cities) the wasd, e, and m keys were all worn down... too much gaming going on there.
LukeakaDanish
Saber wrote:

Also a side note.. allmost all the internet cafe's I saw(a lot of people use them because theres a lot of people that cant afford internet service in their home still, but mostly out side of bigger cities) the wasd, e, and m keys were all worn down... too much gaming going on there.

ROFLMAO HAHA Very Happy

Actually my WASD keys have a load of crap on them aswell Very Happy (goes to clean them off) Wink
Jeslyn
LukeakaDanish wrote:
Saber wrote:

ROFLMAO HAHA Very Happy

Actually my WASD keys have a load of crap on them aswell Very Happy (goes to clean them off) Wink

Well that WASD joke went over and beyond my head. Anyone care to explain?
Saber
wasd are the main movement keys for a lot of games... and it takes a lot of use to ware down keys...
aerialdreams
Saber wrote:
as other people have said, pin yin is the way most chinese use their keyboard. As for my self being htere for two months, in bigger cities such as beijing and smaller ones such as yinchuan all the computers I ever saw had normal keyboards; The rest is software.

Since I have to be able to type in Chinese and English, I just use a regular keyboard with NStar software... I mainly type in Pin Yin, which uses the alphabet, but it also has 3 other ways to imput chinese, and the virtual keyboard looks like this:
riv
There is no such special keyboard like the 1 000 000 key keyboard, or the keyboard with Chinese(?) characters on it that you have to use. You can just use an American keyboard, and use pin yin, like you mentioned, Noobie4Life.
Assiez
speaking of which, I don't think that picture you provided is actually a keyboard. Look more like a game board to me.
Billwaa
I use the power pen input system, basically a writing pad. So much easier
awesty
can someone explain pinyin to me? i tried to read the wikipedia one but got bored/couldnt understand it Razz
LukeakaDanish
Assiez wrote:
speaking of which, I don't think that picture you provided is actually a keyboard. Look more like a game board to me.

HAHA...it IS a keyboard, however only an experimental thing - i dont think they where mass produced. (got it from wikipedia page)
awesty
LukeakaDanish wrote:
Assiez wrote:

HAHA...it IS a keyboard, however only an experimental thing - i dont think they where mass produced. (got it from wikipedia page)

it would take you about 20 seconds to find each character Razz
windrei
that so-called chinese keyboard is really ridiculous.... there are more than 30,000 chinese characters, although only about 1400 are commonly in use... but how can you find one unique character in a thousand keyboard......... the one who invents it must have some problems......

i use the qwerty keyboard with simple chinese characters on it, as the above picture. It's called changjie input method, for traditinal chinese characters. It can only take you less than a second to type a chinese character.
Saber
Quote:
It can only take you less than a second to type a chinese character.

and for those who dont know, each character is a word, so sometimes typing in chinese is faster.
seanooi
i like typing chinese using the pinyin method. maybe cause i've been used to using pinyin since i was in primary school.
planetasian
there're several ways of inputing chinese characters, i use normal english keyboard and i can type chinese characters as fast as english! i think it's a matter of practice, if u type chinese everyday then u can become very good at typing them, only u have to choose the correct characters which slows down the typing