FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Restoring Laptop

henrygl
Basically, I own a laptop about 4 years of age, that i want to convert into a "stereo" pc. What application/os do you think I should use? Currently I'm running XP MCE but wow its slow. I herd of FooBar 2K. What is your opinion? I'd really like to know.
NGRU-Kamikazie
There are many good ones out there, I use ITunes on mine just because of the ease on its use. It draws little resources as well as supports all fo the apple and mac formats including the M4a format.
Xeniczone
Could you give us some specs?

You might be able to find a OS that only plays and stores songs on the hard drive. If you do then you could save a lot of time booting and shuting it down. Overall turning it into a oversized MP3 player.
henrygl
Xeniczone wrote:

You might be able to find a OS that only plays and stores songs on the hard drive. If you do then you could save a lot of time booting and shuting it down. Overall turning it into a oversized MP3 player.

That would be AWESOME!!! its a pentium 3 w/ 50 GIG HDD, unknow video card, no sound card yet (have to work that out), 2.1 Ghz intel processor
alkady
That would make your Laptop a 2001-2002 Model, But Revised most probable. Theoriotically speaking, Your Laptop will not qualify as State of the Art Entertainment Device. But what you have is well enough to run movies smoothly, Play Musics ect. The basics. But your limited to the games you can play and the quality of the items.

So since you have MCE, Might as well throw in a MCE remote so you can activate the MCE Program without opening Windows. It will probably make things go smoother because your not running anything else.

Also, If you want it to run faster, Perhaps its obvious you need to maintain it by running the defrag ect. A well maintained computer is as important as an up to date computer.
rafifaisal
Hi,
Just wanted to tell you that what you have over there IS state of the art compared to my laptop.
What i have is a pentium 3, 20 GB. hd 697 Mhz 240MB ram
But hey it can offer me all i need so i am happy with the machine Wink

I mean too many people think they need a machine to do heavy source compiling, or CAD designing while all they do is storing some music and chatting away with msn.

Just a thought
psycosquirrel
Have you considered Linux? Do some research, I am sure someone makes a "MP3 OS" as Xenic suggested.

As for the sound card, you probably want a PCMCIA or USB sound card because they will be your only options. What sort of speakers will be hooked up to the computer? headphones? 2.1? 4? 5.1? 7.1!? The options are usually limited by your speaker system...