FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

2 different suggestions [in one convenient package]

bladesage
I have no clue what to call this idea, but I know for sure somebody else will support me.

This involves warnings. I have recieved one already (I don't really mind that people know at the moment), for spamming. While I do know that certain things are not applicable to this, I do believe that it should be considered for spam warnings. I had no idea that anything I would do in any way would cause any trouble, especially on Frihost, the thing I take third most seriously (don't complain, only my religion and my study matter more).

I have learned a great deal about what spam is since then, and I'm fairly certain that I would not do so again. If I were to get a second warning, I would get all paranoid, freak out, and never post again, which would clearly cause some more trouble. So this led me to thinking, what if there was a way to gradually have them removed, perhaps in exchange for something? I know other things worth warning about would be considered impossible to revoke, but this is something one learns as they go along.

I assume you guys have some special way of logging everyone's warnings, so perhaps you could devise a no doubt genius way to allow one to slowly reclaim his reputation. Just a thought, I'm sure someone else who's had a warning can also provide some form of input.

Idea #2

This one I know should be very easy to do, though I'm likely the only one who finds it irritating. The way I do lists seems to cause some trouble with the current smily settings.

1)
2)
6)
7)
Cool
9)

I get very frustrated, and it means I have to disable smilies in my posts to counteract it, which is something I love to use (the smilies). Could you perhaps change the cool smily to "B-)" or "B)" or something less likely to be used for something?

Thanks.
Marston
Quote:
1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)
7.)
8.)

That would work.
bladesage
Marston wrote:
Quote:
1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)
7.)
8.)

That would work.

Yes, but it doesn't look as formal, and even still, it's really just dodging the problem as opposed to fixing it Confused.
Blaster
Both are good ideas i think. Maybe not in change for anything but for something like just haveing resepct again. Like just feeling that you should get rid of them. I think it would be nice. Just it brings more respect to you if you dont' have warnings. Great idea bladesage.
TeenZine
I agree it should have a change mabe *:-0* or something like that I like the ** you real ydont use them before smilies to.
alkady
I dont know if they will change the numbers, But perhaps you should use an alternative.

eg.

thats my preferred choice, Or you can try

1 -
2 -

Still isnt bad or,

a)
b)
Nyizsa
I think your reputation comes back as you make quality posts and most of us isn't interested if you have ever got a warning. Personally I'm not. And, reading your suggestion, I must say that warnings are useful!
About the list: yes, sometimes they are annoying, and mostly where you can't use alternatives, for example codes or equations. But you still can do a funny thing:
6)
7)
eight)
9)
n0obie4life
First off, you aren't supposed to be using

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

you should be using

1. one
  2. two
  3. three
  4. four
  5. ...

Code:
[list=1][*]one
[*]two
[*]three
[*]four
[*]...[/list]

-------

warnings are not removed as far as I know beacuse they don't have the time to.
simplyw00x
Yet again, taking a page out of most forums' book might be an idea here. Warnings drop off over time, so if you spam, and spam again in 6 months, you don't get banned. That's reasonable. Spamming, then spamming again the next day, now _that's_ a ban.
Animal
In terms of spam warnings, we use our discretion. If, as you say, a user has a spam warning from 6 months ago, they're not likely to get banned for another one but this depends on the severity of the spamming. As I mentioned in another thread, we don't warn people for writing something like "LOL" once - when they make ten posts like that in inappropriate places, they are likely to get a warning or a ban.

We don't want to ruin the fun of this forum, nor do we want to appear oppressive. However, Frihost prides itself on having one of the best, cleanest forums around and we hope this will encourage new users to come and join us. If the boards were full of spam, nobody would want to use them. We therefore have a warning system in place, but users who have been with us for a long time are not likely to be summarily banned over one "LOL".
ocalhoun
bladesage wrote:

I get very frustrated, and it means I have to disable smilies in my posts to counteract it, which is something I love to use (the smilies). Could you perhaps change the cool smily to "B-)" or "B)" or something less likely to be used for something?

For one thing, what about;
A)
B)
C)

I find the most effective way to get around this is to just make your lists differently like:
1-
2:
3>
4|
6.)
(using one example for the entire list, not like that, of course)
Bockman
there are all kind of options to use, no need to point them all out.

I for one always use the cool emoticon with the current setup and i know some other members are also used to it (being the phpbb standard).

bladesage, as n00bie pointed out, there is a specific code to use when you're running a list. it works nice mostly because is "tab's" the list forward for emphasis. You should try the List tags and see if you're comfortable using it.

As for the rest, you don't need to worry, the user's situations are analysed before the ban option comes to the discussion.

Be Well Cool