FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Robertson Says He Really Leg-Pressed a Ton

glennesau
Quote:
NORFOLK, Va. - Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson says it is the God's honest truth _ he did, indeed, once leg-press a ton when he was almost 73 and had prostate cancer, and he still regularly lifts up to 1,200 pounds with his legs.

But he acknowledged that the way he leg-presses would not be legal in a bodybuilding competition.

The "700 Club" host's feat is recounted on the Web site of his Christian Broadcasting Network in Virginia Beach. But sports experts questioned the assertion in recent weeks, with one noting that the leg-press record for football players at Florida State University is 665 pounds less.

A spokeswoman recently released a photo she said showed Robertson leg-pressing 2,000 pounds on Feb. 1, 2003. Robertson had surgery to remove a cancerous prostate gland later that month and turned 73 that March.

"I did it one time, one rep, but I had built up to it for about three years," Robertson insisted on Wednesday in a telephone interview with The Associated Press, the first time he has spoken with a reporter since the leg-press brouhaha.

Robertson said his doctor encouraged him to leg-press weights to strengthen his bad knees.

But he said he did the 2,000-pound lift on an incline leg press with the machine's brake on, which means he did not have to lift the weight the whole way.

"When the professionals do it, they take the brake off and let the weight come all the way down on them. And if you don't have a lot of help, you've got a Volkswagen sitting on your hips. I didn't do that," he said.

CBN's Web site has a video showing Robertson leg-pressing 1,000 pounds. The Web site attributes Robertson's energy in part to "his age-defying protein shake." The site offers a free recipe for the shake, with ingredients including soy and whey protein, flaxseed oil and apple cider vinegar.

Robertson also has licensed his name to Columbus, Ohio-based Basic Organics Inc., which makes a similar product called Pat's Diet Shake.

"We're selling the thing like crazy. There are thousands of people who want to get it. They think the shake had something to do with my ability to lift weights, and I don't think it did," he said, chuckling.

Robertson said he takes about 45 vitamins and minerals daily, abstains from sweets and soft drinks, eats lot of salads, fruits and nuts and rides horses, plays golf and works out.

--------------Comcast.net Strange News

In my opinion that is amazing, I couldn't even begin to do something like that, And that is a great achievement since he has prostate cancer. I guess it shows that nothing is going to hold him back from the things that he wanted to do.

I have a bad back and try and do most things, I still get the pain every now and again but I still try. This guy is doing what he wants and nothing is going to stop him... look our guiness world records, this guy is commin for ya.
corey
I don't know why people can't believe this. I've often done sets of 8 - all the way to the bottom - building up from 400lbs as a warmup to 1200+lbs - still doing a set of 8. I usually stopped there, as there was no more weight in the small gym I worked out in. I'm sure that I could have done a lot more, had I been crazy enough to.

The kicker is that I've never been really big or appeared to be very strong. So, I believe Mr Robertson. And, that's a great thing at his age.
Soulfire
I leg press 600-800 in reps of 8-10, I do more at lower reps, and I am inclined to believe the guy. I don't see a reason to doubt.
mikakiev
With such a small amplitude he can press even 2000 kg.It is not a proper leg press.He should have at least 90 degrees in his knee joints.
liljp617
Why is this world news? So a homophobic moron has strong legs. Awesome. There is, of course, much controversy surrounding it with many experts being very skeptical as well as the video released showing 1994 when it was claimed to have occurred in 2003.
deanhills
liljp617 wrote:
Why is this world news? So a homophobic moron has strong legs. Awesome. There is, of course, much controversy surrounding it with many experts being very skeptical as well as the video released showing 1994 when it was claimed to have occurred in 2003.
You could not have said it better for me. Why should this be newsworthy, or is it just because the media does not find him newsworthy any longer as they used to a few years ago?
ocalhoun
Not such a big deal anyway... the record is 2,300 pounds.
mikakiev
In 1998, Sri Chinmoy reentered into the world of weightlifting with a 200 pound one arm lift. On November 27, Sri Chinmoy performed 65 lifts in front of a large audience of selected guests 15 (see video at top of page); earlier that day he had performed a calf raise lift of an elephant bearing Olympic champion Carl Lewis. This weightlifting demonstration was to become the highlight of Sri Chinmoy's yearly lifting calendar; he would hold similar demonstrations in 1999, 2000, 2002, 2004 and 2005. Attending Sri Chinmoy's weightlifting demonstration in November 1999, Dennis Lee wrote in Natural Bodybuilding and Fitness
Another so called magical lifter.With a power of spirit he can lift an elephant.