FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is with the explodign Mentos thing?

hack_man_
What is this new craze about Mentos exploding when you eat them followed by Pepsi? Is it all just clever camera effects or do they really explode and kill people?

It is a craze, so it is natural that I don't know anything about it.
quixotic
I haven't ever heard of what you're talking about, but it sounds like the pop rocks and soda myth to me.

I don't buy it.
Hobbit
I accidentaly blew it in my friends face, he's been in a coma for a month. Laughing Not really, but we're going to try it. He claims it's real, we shall see. I've seen some videos of it on youtube though and it's real.
n0obie4life
hack_man_ wrote:
What is this new craze about Mentos exploding when you eat them followed by Pepsi? Is it all just clever camera effects or do they really explode and kill people?

It is a craze, so it is natural that I don't know anything about it.

Link?

I mean, if it explodes, then how on earth did the person post the video Wink. He would be dead himself Rolling Eyes.
silvermesh
I love how gullible people can be.
area547
yes its true, i've tried it.
Put mentos into a 2 liter diet cola bottle and it gives this volcano explosion effect. The best way to do this is make a funnel out of paper, drop a bunch of mentos in and stand back.

If you're really daring, put the mentos and, and super quickly screw a cap on. Shake it and throw it at the ground and now you've literally got a bottle rocket.

These guys have done it: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5695044769427318137&q=mentos+rocket
Assiez
if you drop mentos into a 2 liter bottle of pepsi, yes it will gush out of the top.

If you drink a lot of pepsi and then eat mentos, the worst that will happen is you'll get some gas. You won't explode. However you're welcome to try, post your results when you're done Wink
alkady
Hmmmmmm.....Exploding Mentos, Must be jampacked with sugar.
Hogwarts
quixotic wrote:
I haven't ever heard of what you're talking about, but it sounds like the pop rocks and soda myth to me.

I don't buy it.

Actually, soda and pop rocks DO blow up, but not in the form of an explosive.

On mythbusters (Heehee Wink ) some time ago, they got a pig stomach or some other pig organ and filled it with poprocks before pouring soft drink (or "soda") into it. The pig stomach blew up as a baloon blows up when you blow in it, in other words, it inflated. Then after a while it actually popped.

This here could have the same effect, maybe if we ask n0obie kindly he might try it himself Laughing If he actually tries it it his own problem and I cannot be held liable to the bizarre incident that occurs when he tried it.

All of this information is true but I am only joking about n0obie trying it =p
kam311
Yeah, if you do a google video search, you can find plenty of footage of this. I haven't tried it myself (though i'd like to Wink , but several people have said that it really does work. Worth a try, definitely.
Nameless
Ah, human gulibility. It never ceases to amazes me.
hetarvid
Wow, this is really cool! I guess I really have to go down down and get some diet and mentos!
My plan is to use this at the next party, I guess i will be king if i manage to pull it off!
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1450915772177922792&q=mentos+rocket
This one really shows that it's true! Smile
a.Bird
Nameless wrote:
Ah, human gulibility. It never ceases to amazes me.
Watch the videos smartass.

hetarvid: That was the stupidest song I have ever heard. I cannot believe I bent the usb plug of my flash drive while trying to plug in my headphones for that movie. At least we know it does work. Rolling Eyes
Vrythramax
alkady wrote:
Hmmmmmm.....Exploding Mentos, Must be jampacked with sugar.

or Symtex <evil Grin>
rightclickscott
Believe me, this is true. The guys at Eepybird.com made a video of them making fountains out of mentos and diet coke, replicating the Bellagio Fountains in Las Vegas. Here's the movie: http://eepybird.com/dcm1.html
hetarvid
Quote:
That was the stupidest song I have ever heard. I cannot believe I bent the usb plug of my flash drive while trying to plug in my headphones for that movie. At least we know it does work. Rolling Eyes

I know what you mean! Developers, developers, developers. If youre going to make a video like that it's just fare to add a song that acctually wont destroy the whole experince.

Anyway, next thursday i'm going to try this, I will report back to you when i'm done and give you a report!

Have fun!
Giroodle
Ive seen crazy videos of this happening. It looks beyond dangerous.
Insideout
I wonder how many people I can get to try it... There are an awful lot of idiots at my school... I'll try this... Even though I'm kidding... >>;;
rightclickscott
I saw the one with Pepsi Girl blowing herself up with the mentos, and that's fake. The other ones with the geysers of diet coke and mentos are all real.