FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sun's Solaris

Saber
hey, I was wondering, what do people think about Suns os "solaris".
Im thinking that it might just be better to do other things.. but yah.. at the moment some of suns stuff is free to download, and I know at work they use sun servers... but I myself dont have a clue.

Any comments about it before I , hopefully not, waste hours downloading and setting it up?
Scorpio
This should be in the OS forum i guess

But anyway I too decided to download the OS and stopped it mid way and ditched it

So i too have no idea
Saber
hmm wow.. I thought I put it there... I guess Im more blind than I thought.. anyways thanks for pointing that out. If a mob pleases, then move it please.
Nyizsa
I already wrote this in some other topic months ago.
Solaris is made for SPARC hardware. It runs on x86 architecture also, but with very poor hardware support. It is likely that you won't be able to use your winmodem or integrated sound device. If you intend to run it as a server, these limitations don't matter, I think, and you get something really good.
My opinion is that nothing beats the combination of a SPARC computer and Solaris. But for x86, you should go for Linux or {free|open}BSD. You may consider dual (tri) booting Solaris to get to the feeling.
copilot
It's not to bad. About like any other Linux system, just a little more organized. It is a little easier to navigate than the other Linux systems.