FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Expectation for a homepage

Donutey
I was just wondering what everyone's expectations are when they see a website's homepage, and what makes a good homepage.

I've been thinking of redesigning my homepage/main/index, so it's more focused on content, more pictures etc.

Anyway, thanks.
littlegiant
Yeah, you're definitely on the right track concerning focussing on more content, etc. In my humble opinion, I would say the number one priority of what to put on a homepage is to clearly explain what your website is about.

I forget where I read this (probably in one of the webmaster newsletters I receive) but there was a test done recently which concluded that people on the net typically spend less than 1/20 of a second determining the worthiness of a web page. So essentially you've got a fraction of a second to grab your reader's attention and convince him or her that your site is worth spending some time on.

Also, you've got to think like a web surfer when designing web pages. Most web surfers are looking for (A) Information or (B) To buy something. So according to what your website is about, you'd be doing yourself (and all your visitors) a big favour by giving people what they want and giving it to them fast.
Michael B
I think what you need for a hope page is to bring you whole site togeather in one page. If selling stuff, put you best produsts there, but rotate them regulay. If content, put snips of the lates content added. Keep it fresh and changing, don't let it get stale. Also search engins love content, so give them plenty.

Liking to all the major parts of you site is also vital, so users can find what they want. A good search box, helps on larger sites.

Keeping it as fast as posible is also important not every has broad band.