FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google releases Spreadsheet

Xcelerate
The first of the expected online software, spreadsheet was released today. I signed up for the beta and it seems to work great. It's interesting that they're doing it online though because it seems to me as though you would want to make a downloadable program.

The link is: http://spreadsheet.google.com
garionw
I know - I had read bout it yesterday
linexpert
Xcelerate is it compatible with excel?
photon
useful for on the move ppl. but i dont think it can be a substitute for excel. just another experiment from google. it will take time to mature
garionw
linexpert wrote:

I believe it is. I think you have the option to save it as a xls or cvs file, I know that you can read cvs in excel.

What would be good is if you could download it and install in to localhost so you can access it offline
tungtony
It's great.

Now all the thing should be internetable. Such as bookmark, personal information management(PIM), work files accessibility (word, excel, power point) and information(RSS). However, no one can combine all the useable items in one login ID in one homepage. (Yahoo is quit near, but the skill is not elegant than google.) Google have many useable item in one login ID but can't display in one homepage even www.google.com/ig.
Xcelerate
Yep, you can open and save (and download) .xls and CVS files. The upload thing is pretty cool, it automatically uploads it once you select the file.
briancoit
Great concept, but will never have the functionality of Excel - but then, I dont think they're exactly trying to compete Laughing

Google really seem to be pushing boundaries imo. The people behind google really do have my respect, a simple search engine... but with LOADS of features and functionality. Amazing Smile
jaijujacob
Xcelerate wrote:
The first of the expected online software, spreadsheet was released today. I signed up for the beta and it seems to work great. It's interesting that they're doing it online though because it seems to me as though you would want to make a downloadable program.

The link is: http://spreadsheet.google.com

Yes.. got registered today. Cool. but didn't get how to use formulas..
selim06
I've just received my activation code...So I'm able to review it and I think It's usefull...
marques1975
Hi!

The best of all is that it΄s free.
Hope they develop an entire suit, such as Office or OpenOffice.

King regards,

Oscar
Sephz0r
garionw wrote:
linexpert wrote:

I believe it is. I think you have the option to save it as a xls or cvs file, I know that you can read cvs in excel.

What would be good is if you could download it and install in to localhost so you can access it offline

Does this mean it has potential to work for MS SQL Databases?
garionw
could do, though im not entirely sure.

The only downside is you have to add rows over 100 manually
Sephz0r
Wow, that sucks...
yau66
Have not tried myself yet. Is it true it does not include printing capabilities?
k_s_baskar
Hi.

I already signup with my gmail id. But not yet get invited yet.

Actually how many hrs. it will take to get invited.?
tuncay
the amazing thing is you actually share the spreadsheet real-time.

quite cool...
sceptileex
Not surprised about the fact thats its on the web.Its all that web 3.0 stuff. From what i see its still kinda frar from being real threat to excel bit its a good start, eh? The functions are alittle limited, to say, but itll serve well for normal use.
Rustyk1
I can begin to picture a future where it's not necessary to have a 3ghz processor, 512mb of ram and 100gb hard disk just for using the basics. Imagine if people who just want to use email and office applications could just buy a cheap, low spec computer running some basic kind of linux and a web browser. They just log in to google an they have their email and office applications there waiting with google doing all the processing.

Now I know this isn't feasible yet but we're certinaly gettng there and this is a small step in the right direction.
guissmo
Fun to goof around with.

I don't have REAL purposes for it right now though.
ToesInSock
I have done a test drive of Google Spreadsheet and it is very impressive. Uploaded some fairly complex xls sheets and seemed to load them without a problem. Noticed that the 'hidden' sheets in the workbook were displayed.
Understandably, Google Worksheet does not support macros so sheets do not have access to the user defined VBA functions. The sheets with user functions uploaded fine and displayed the current value in the cell.
I enabled the java console on IE 6 and noticed it had few minor javascript errors that did not impact the working of the sheets.
Have not tried the sharing options yet - going to try it out with friends sharing some baseball stats, fantasy football fans will love this!