FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A good place to learn Java

novisdesign
Wheres a good site or maybe a good book that teaches Java to an intermediate programmer with some PHP? Also, if it could be Mac OS X oriented that would be great. Thanks.
martindecorte
novisdesign wrote:
Wheres a good site or maybe a good book that teaches Java to an intermediate programmer with some PHP? Also, if it could be Mac OS X oriented that would be great. Thanks.

First of all, if you are intermediate with PHP, you'll probably have to start learning Java from scratch, because the languages are too different.

Therefore, I suggest you to take a tour on http://java.sun.com, and search for documentation.

Maybe your starting point could be the Java Tutorial.
sparks
I do not know whether the site still teaches JAVA but you can check it out at www.webmonkey.com.
The lessons are very very friendly and to the point.They have great teachers.Funny ones too.
NGRU-Kamikazie
If(you need help)
{
let me know at NGRU.Kami@gmail.com;
}

Razz

I dont know if u got the joke, but anyway let me know if you need help. I just wraped up a 8 month course on it at school and can help you with 90% of the basics including some of the graphical aspects.
qbawler311
O'reilly "Java in a nutshell" is a great book to learn Java, After that read "Java Examples in a nutshell" which enforces what you read in the first book.

If(NGRU-Kamikazie.similiarTo(lame) terminateNow(NGRU-Kamikazie);
Reign
qbawler311 wrote:

If(NGRU-Kamikazie.similiarTo(lame) terminateNow(NGRU-Kamikazie);

shouldn"t that be:
Code:

If(NGRU-Kamikazie.equals(lame)) {
      terminateNow(NGRU-Kamikazie);
}

Strings are to be compared by .equals

Laughing
NGRU-Kamikazie
lol I dont really care if yu tink im lame or not, Books are 2nd rate to having an actual person explaining it to you as you can go more in depth, adn be more flexible.
Reign
NGRU-Kamikazie wrote:
lol I dont really care if yu tink im lame or not, Books are 2nd rate to having an actual person explaining it to you as you can go more in depth, adn be more flexible.

Indeed, I had 12months of Java at school and I never could have done without the classes. And the privelage of taking classes is that they teach you to code Java the wright way. tutorials could teach you the wrong way and not the object oriented way..

Oh and Java is a platform independant language so What do you mean with 'mac os X oriented'?
qbawler311
NGRU-Kamikazie wrote:

I taught myself Java with those two books after I had knowledge of OOP. The OP said he is already an intermediate programmer with some PHP which means he is probably already aware of the basic concepts of OOP. I seriously doubt communicating via e-mail over the net to some poser will ramp him up faster.
qbawler311
NGRU-Kamikazie wrote:
Hey,

How do I store data from a program into a file so it can be re read at the program initiation? The file cant be read by anyone as it would contain passwords in it. I know how to export using EasyWriter to a file, but it comes out as a .txt and can be opened in any text editor, is there a different format to which can onlybe read by the program or a way to actually store it in the .class file it self?

Considering this post from another thread that you wrote I doubt you should be helping anyone learn Java.
novisdesign
I mean, using Java as a Mac OS X app. I don't know if I should use XCode, and other things.

Thanks Guys