FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

make a server - with php and MySQL

ninjakannon
Hi,

I would like to turn one of my old (very old - 6gb hard drive - windows 98, but it can be updated to a later operating system) computers into a server. A server that has a website that is properly accessable and secure (i don't wanna get hacked Exclamation ).

I also want to enable php and get MySQL running properly on it.

I have no idea on how to do this,
Thanks for any help! Wink
eepman
Well, the software you need is Apache, The mySql daemon, and PHP.

http://httpd.apache.org/
This site has the apache server for download. If you read the online documentation on how to do a basic setup it should suit your needs.

http://www.php.net/
This has php for download, you must enable the mysql module for it to be usable with your databases.

http://www.mysql.com/
Look for the free version and download it. Then follow the documentation.

Any specific questions in the process I am happy to answer.
martindecorte
Are you planning to build a Windows- or a Linux-based server ?
b4r4t
If it will be windows serv (xp/2000) You may use this:

http://www.wampserver.com/en/download.php

Whole package

Apache 2.0.55
PHP 5.1.4 + PECL

SQLitemanager
MySQL 5.0.21
Phpmyadmin

All in one Smile
guatemaleco
Performance wise, I think it would be better for you to run a very basic linux server (ie no auto GUI). While there may be a small learning curve, once you get things installed you could simply have a web interface to manage the server. I'd recommend for a linux newbie to run something like Webmin to maintain it. It's nice, graphic based, and it has extensions for everything you mentioned. This way, you also wouldn't have to worry about running a bloated GUI OS when you don't need to waste your limited resources. All the packages mentioned before are designed primarily for *nix Oses anyways, only later are the remade for windows.
Drop me a line if you'd like help with any of this.
ninjakannon
Thanks for all the help!

I've never worked with linux before, I think that I would find it easier to upgrade to windows XP and install everything in wampserver, as b4r4t suggested. Unless I know more about Linux first.

A few questions, what happens once I have installed all these programms? How will I set up a website on it? And what will I have to do in terms of security?
b4r4t
There will be a FAQ in package i think Smile
I have other program (called Krasnal - it's a polish one), just instal, turn on , type http://localhost in browser or your IP Smile
There will be a folder where to put sites, ftp acces should be avaible too Smile
Just read the FAQ/Readme Smile
ninjakannon
Ahh, OK.

I'm gonna try and get it set up. But I may need to ask some questions at a further point, if that's ok Wink

Thanks for the help guys, greatly appreciated! Very Happy
grantmaster
I would hope the server is just for personal use or developement.

Using WAMP on an AMD 1800, 256 megs RAM, Windows XP Home.

When I go to load a moodle site (on the same hard drive) most often the site will "time out" (server took too long). Pressing refresh will usually work since at that point some of the code is in the cache.

I wouldn't use such a server for production sites or sites that use a lot of JAVA or Script. The Windows interface just uses way too much processing power for the WAMP server to function acceptably.
ninjakannon
The server is for personal use, grantmaster.

I think that I'm goning to have a go at using Linux as guatemaleco suggested, instead of Windows.

I'm gonna have a go at setting it up at the weekend, if anything goes wrong - which would hardly be suprising - I'll be back here, asking for a bit of help. Wink
Transponder
you can use USB Server its small and has PHP/Mysql in it. Smile
sush
You WILL be better off using Linux (or even BSD Very Happy) than Win9x. I suggest you switch to XP if you want to stay on Windows.

Apache+PHP+MySQL combo = great.

If you're setting up a dedicated server you could ensure that php/mysql are set to utilize max system resources. I used to use PHP5.04+MySQL5.1 on a low resources setting inspite of having enough. Wasn't upto the mark but when I finally gave in and gave it everything I had, blazing performance.

If you just want a stable server and not tinker around too much, FreeBSD isnt a really bad choice.
ninjakannon
The general impression I'm getting is that using Linux is a better idea, the thing is that I have never used it and thus have no idea about it.

I think I will use Linux, but which version should I get Question

And thanks for the feedback, sush. I will set it to utilize max system resources Wink
djclue917
ninjakannon wrote:
The general impression I'm getting is that using Linux is a better idea, the thing is that I have never used it and thus have no idea about it.

I think I will use Linux, but which version should I get Question

And thanks for the feedback, sush. I will set it to utilize max system resources Wink

If you want an instant LAMP (Linux-Apache-MySQL-PHP) system in no time at all, then I recommend that you install Ubuntu Server Edition. Also, the Ubuntu server platform has already been certified for MySQL and IBM's DB2.

Take note that the LAMP option is available at the time of installation. That means that you have the option of having a full LAMP stack installed and properly configured after the installation of Ubuntu Server Edition.

By the way, the typical install time of Ubuntu Server Edition is about fifteen minutes. That should save you a lot of time for the extra tweaking and configuration of your already-installed LAMP software stack.

I hope that helps...
ninjakannon
I've had a look at Ubuntu server and it looks, above all, quite easy to use and it contains the programs that I need Smile

I have a few questions about it that I could not find the answers to quickly (I'm in a bit of a rush Wink ):
What versions of the programs does it use? the latest I would think.
And how do I install it?

Thanks!
djclue917
ninjakannon wrote:
I've had a look at Ubuntu server and it looks, above all, quite easy to use and it contains the programs that I need Smile

I have a few questions about it that I could not find the answers to quickly (I'm in a bit of a rush Wink ):
What versions of the programs does it use? the latest I would think.
And how do I install it?

Thanks!

If you want to ask questions about Ubuntu and other Ubuntu-related stuff, the best place to do it is in the Ubuntu Forums.

This is the forum's URI: http://ubuntuforums.org

Just go to the appropriate forum and ask for help. Wink Just be sure to be specific and informative in the way you state your problems/queries/questions.

As for the program versions included in each Ubuntu release, you can find them here: http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ubuntu

The software applications and releases are arranged in a neat table. By the way, Distrowatch is a good place to find information about Linux distros. You'll find tons of them in Distrowatch and you'll also find related links and other valuable information.

I hope that helps... Smile
ninjakannon
Thanks a bunch, djclue917!

Ubuntu looks great, I think I'll give it a go Very Happy
munkey_boy
Thanks. This topic helped me because i have a AMD athalon 2200+, 512mb of ram and a 5GB hard drive that i want to set up as a server it is in a milk carton lol, I may post some pictures soon.
ninjakannon
munkey_boy wrote:
Thanks. This topic helped me because i have a AMD athalon 2200+, 512mb of ram and a 5GB hard drive that i want to set up as a server it is in a milk carton lol, I may post some pictures soon.

Glad it helped Razz
munkey_boy
Hi!, here are those photos.

Ports:

Top:

[edit] Its in a milk crate, not carton. [/edit]
ninjakannon
I love it! Such an idea!

Although it could get a bit dusty inside, at least you wont need a very powerful fan Wink
abhinav_shah
You will need a static IP.
Rest you can install Apache.

Abhinav Shah
ninjakannon
abhinav_shah wrote:
You will need a static IP.
Rest you can install Apache.

Abhinav Shah

That's ok, because I don't know how to set up a dynamic one Smile

One thing, why will I need one?
Greyhound
can win98 be a server Laughing
i suggest you using linux or bsd to instead.
lighttpd is small, fast for webserver, and vsftpd is suitable for ftp.
ninjakannon
Greyhound wrote:
can win98 be a server Laughing
i suggest you using linux or bsd to instead.
lighttpd is small, fast for webserver, and vsftpd is suitable for ftp.

I'm taking off windows 98, and replacing it with Linux (using Ubuntu server so as to get a quick LAMP system working).
kany
Quote:

That's ok, because I don't know how to set up a dynamic one Smile

One thing, why will I need one?

Well how do you think a website show up any time you type there address in the field. Its because their domain name is linked to their IP address which is static.
If you are a dialup user then you might have noted that when ever you disconnects and connects again You get another ip , almost always different from the one you used before. These are known as dynamic IP's.
As for whether you need a static ip or not. As you mentioned above that you want the server for personal use only (if i am correct then you are setting it up for testing purposes) then you wouldn't need any static ip . Even you don't need an internet connection to run your BBs, forums , Blogs or websites what ever you wish.

The static IP plays its rule if you want other people to access your website through internet. Then you will need the static ip so that people can type that address to get to your website (always).
squirrelmaster
a free dynamic ip redirection service is at www.no-ip.com
i've used it for a while, and it's great!
(i think i'll upgrade to my own domain soon tho Razz )
ninjakannon
Thanks for the info, kany.

I've heard about not needing an internet connection to run BBs and forums etc. So how do I do this?
hrtorrent
b4r4t wrote:
If it will be windows serv (xp/2000) You may use this:

http://www.wampserver.com/en/download.php

Whole package

Apache 2.0.55
PHP 5.1.4 + PECL

SQLitemanager
MySQL 5.0.21
Phpmyadmin

All in one Smile

Thank you.
Thank you very very much!!!
I'm looking for something like that long time ago! Now I can build simple intranet e-learning system an easy way!

Laughing
umumkan
Try this, apache2triad -> http://apache2triad.net

Info :
Server bundle of : Apache2 , MySQL , PostgreSQL , OpenSSL , Xmail , SlimFTPd Software developing triad of : PHP , Perl and Python + Apache2TriadCP , PHPmyadmin , PHPPgAdmin , AWStats , UebiMiau , PHPXMail , PHPSFTPd. All latest stables , all manuals
mOrpheuS
Your ISP must allow incoming connections on standard ports, or your server will end up being inaccessible from the outside world.
A static IP will be the best as you can run your own DNS server in that case, or you can use a free dynamic dns service in conjunction with a non-static IP internet connection.

Offtopic - Don't want to play spoil-sport here, but how much exactly do you estimate the expenses involved to be ?
Don't you think the cost of electricity drawn by a 24/7 on PC will be a little too much?
Add to it the cost of the internet connection.

Don't you think shared hosting will be the better solution ?
ninjakannon
Thanks, umumkan, that looks good.

I still havn't set up the server yet because - for some odd reason - only windows 98 can read the disk drive. As a result I cannot change the computer's operating system because I need to use a disk to do so. Neutral

And mOrpheuS, yes, I know that it will be quite expensive to run a server 24/7. But remember that this is for personal use. I can turn it off when ever I want to because no one will be using the website that I set up on it except for me (or if someone finds it, I'm not gonna keep my computer on just incase they want to look at it Razz). I'm doing this for the eperience of setting up a server, because I may need to do so (properly though, not just for testing) in the future, and I would like to know how to do it before hand.
umumkan
maybe you should use this, the kind of lite version -> easyphp http://easyphp.org, work well in windows 98
ninjakannon
You might be my savoir, umumkan! If I use EasyPHP (for the moment at least) then I'll be able to get around my computer's little I'm-not-gonna-read-your-disk-drive problem.
I've downloaded it and I'll transfer the program over my network today I hope; then see what happens.

Thanks a bunch! Very Happy
elyah_ariel
ninjakannon wrote:
Hi,

I would like to turn one of my old (very old - 6gb hard drive - windows 98, but it can be updated to a later operating system) computers into a server. A server that has a website that is properly accessable and secure (i don't wanna get hacked Exclamation ).

I think the best solution you can apply is to download Wamp5 at www.wampserver.com. Its' a combination of Apache, mySQL and PHP in one freeware and exempt you of sequential installation. I've tried it and I'm very satisfied. You can visit www.framasoft.net to get more information about free web servor and software...
ninjakannon
b4r4t did mention wamp5 before. I think, personally, that wamp5 would be better once I have upgraded my version of windows (if I can get my disk drive to work Neutral). There is also a chance that I will get Linux, which will change things slightly.

I think that there is an extra componant that windows 98 needs to run as a server, so I'm gonna try and fix my disk drive as soon as possible.
squirrelmaster
ninjakannon wrote:
I think that there is an extra componant that windows 98 needs to run as a server, so I'm gonna try and fix my disk drive as soon as possible.

I have ran Xampp Lite on my Win 98, and it didn't need anything to run the php and mysql, but it wouldn't run firezilla Ftp because it needed to be ran as a service but other than that it works fine,
you can find it @ http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

But really you can't beat the linux performance so when i went to debian, i got xampp for linux and it ran 3x faster(with no GUI loaded) Very Happy
you can find that @ http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html
tamilchild
Windows 98 is not supported USB drives. help to connect usb drives in 98 system
ninjakannon
tamilchild wrote:
Windows 98 is not supported USB drives. help to connect usb drives in 98 system

You're right, but what exactly are you getting at with that post? I don't quite understand... Shocked
IceCreamTruck
munkey_boy wrote:
Hi!, here are those photos.

Ports:

Top:

[edit] Its in a milk crate, not carton. [/edit]

This is great! I've had funny looking computers, but this takes the cake! Make sure you put on all the webpages you serve a note: "Served out of a milk crate!"

Word to the wise, don't spill your drink! The server will die a horrible death, and might try to take you with it if you aren't careful! LOL
agusta
ninjakannon wrote:
Hi,

hjey jus download WAMP....