FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I just ripped up the solaris phpbb theme!! what you think?

IceCreamTruck
Come to my site and check it out. Notice the tab system accross the top is on every page, but it also goes right into the solaris theme for my phpbb forum software, oh yeah!!

What do you think? Does it work? Post and let me know!!
mustaq
really nice themes do its leagl what you have done i mean by ripping the theme
IceCreamTruck
I didn't rip-off the theme from anyone. The themes are free, so using them is not a problem. Heck, they have ads for the person that made it all over the place, but I ripped it up and added my own header!

Thanks for the nice response!
ocalhoun
That is pretty darn good, how'd you manage that? I might use it to give my site uniform navigation.
sprinqles
Wow! Really, really cool theme... I love it! Smile Where'd you get that theme?
xorcist
It looks nice... That's a good way to put advertisements on the top and have all of your links on the top and then you always will know that at least people would see your advertisements and proberly click it and it all blends into your website.
selim06
it's quite good and dark so it may be better to using better Fonts for the texts(for the homepage not the forum)And the Logo's column(frame) is has too much empty space.So I suggest: either put some advertisements there or resize your logo... Continue designing good luck Very Happy
IceCreamTruck
Wow, big response!!

I'll try to cover all your quesitons.

I got the theme at phpBB.com themes, and it's called solaris. I think it rocks, and it goes well with my space theme to begin with.

The empty space at the top is just there because that's the way I want it. Not everyone has the same browser width, or screen resolution, so not everyone see a huge space there like us computer gurus do.

How'd I do it? well, there are files in the solaris theme called overall_header.tpl & overall_footer.tpl!

...root...\forum\templates\Solaris\overall_header.tpl
...root...\forum\templates\Solaris\overall_footer.tpl

These files can be modified to include whatever code you want, but it works best in adding something to the very top of the page, or to the very bottom of the page. That way you can leave the HTML code that they have alone, and go for only the areas you want to modify. The tricky part was adding the code so that my google banner adtower ran down the side of the page. This required getting a handle on their table setup, and adding another table cell that would run down the entire length of the page. hence the google, ad tower is to the right of the forum, and VALIGN=TOP that new cell like this <TD VALIGN=TOP><!--google ad tower--></TD> so that the ads would always be at the top of the page no matter how deep the forums got.

I will be putting a tutorial on my website as soon as I get around to it, but for now my webmaster's section isn't even up yet. I will also include a tutorial on how to get such awesome looking tabs!! simple html and css tricks like that.

Well, thanks for the comments!! you guys are really nice.
IceCreamTruck
selim06 wrote:
it's quite good and dark so it may be better to using better Fonts for the texts(for the homepage not the forum)And the Logo's column(frame) is has too much empty space.So I suggest: either put some advertisements there or resize your logo... Continue designing good luck Very Happy

This post made me happy, but it left me a little confused! Could you give some examples of what you are talking about here. Maybe try and put some white fonts on a black background to clarify what you mean. I realize my site isn't perfect, but I also realize that I haven't spent enough time on content yet, so that's what I'm focusing on now.

If you give me a good example I will look into it for sure!
selim06
IceCreamTruck wrote:
selim06 wrote:

This post made me happy, but it left me a little confused! Could you give some examples of what you are talking about here. Maybe try and put some white fonts on a black background to clarify what you mean. I realize my site isn't perfect, but I also realize that I haven't spent enough time on content yet, so that's what I'm focusing on now.

I mean:
Try using different fonts "Times New Roman" isn't the unique font try using
"Space Toaster","Microsoft Sans Serif" etc...Don't change the colors Very Happy
IceCreamTruck
selim06 wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:
selim06 wrote:

I mean:

I guess I dont' know what you mean. My site styles for font is "Sylfaen" and so far I like it alot. It's been hard to pic a font that I like, and most people will have. Besides, I really want a site about content, and not about some weird font that is hard to read. Thanks for your time though, because I really do appreciate you taking a look at the site and telling me what you think.

That makes you tops in my book. BTW, why don't you put up a sight? your profile doesn't have one!! You can have one for sure being a senior frihoster. Is it just not in your profile?
selim06
IceCreamTruck wrote:
selim06 wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:
selim06 wrote:

I mean:

I guess I dont' know what you mean. My site styles for font is "Sylfaen" and so far I like it alot. It's been hard to pic a font that I like, and most people will have. Besides, I really want a site about content, and not about some weird font that is hard to read. Thanks for your time though, because I really do appreciate you taking a look at the site and telling me what you think.

That makes you tops in my book. BTW, why don't you put up a sight? your profile doesn't have one!! You can have one for sure being a senior frihoster. Is it just not in your profile?

Yeah I've a website but not in English(in Turkish)... http://bariscil.com but this site is not hosted by Frihost so I don't like advertisement Very Happy (paid hosting,I'm not the owner I'm only Administrator)
And if you ask me about my Frihost account's website I'm still searching for a original idea! There are billions of forums,portals etc...But I want to make a original thing!So do you have any suggestion?(Thanks for interesting in)
BTW: http://bariscil.com is under consturuction so we haven't uploaded the SQL tables...It may be hard to upload 100mb of the database so you may think I'm a amouter but not Very Happy The site is lisenced version and VB protect us Very Happy
IceCreamTruck
No way I don't think you are an amature!! Just because you don't really have much online right now doesn't mean that. Heck I used to do websites for big businesses, and radio stations here in my town, and I haven't had a website online in two years, but that doesn't mean I'm new to the game at all. I've just been taking a break, and this is my jump back into the game.

Once again I appreciate everything that everyone has done for me by checking out my website, and letting me know what you think. This is my first honest try to do something that does me some good, and I need alittle help to make sure it is perfect right from the begining.

thanks again, dude. And I do respect your opinion.
IceCreamTruck
You guys have helped in the recent past, but now I both need your help again, and I can give back all at the same time!!

If you have a website and want to tear the pages up into keywords for the search engines, then you have to check this out

This script breaks a page down into sigle words (strips HTML or anything between <..>), counts them, and puts them in a neat little list that is easily edited into meta keywords for that page!! check it out!!

Goto space.frih.net forums for discussion and a link to view this script in action - click here

It's an on-going project and I want you to contribute, so take a look at how it works, view the code, and then modify it and reupload it to share with others what you've done to improove this already pretty nice little piece of work.

Cheers! Happy Keywording!
The_Gamer294
looks very good layout wise but visually it needs some work, it would look better if u try to blend it in a little kind of like when the city/town people re-pave a road its all bumpy but then when its finished its all smooth and looks good.
IceCreamTruck
The_Gamer294 wrote:
looks very good layout wise but visually it needs some work, it would look better if u try to blend it in a little kind of like when the city/town people re-pave a road its all bumpy but then when its finished its all smooth and looks good.

ok, I liked your comment but a post I just posted to another topic about my site that applies here as well. I liked your metaphor of an unfinished road, but please elaborate on finishing the road. please.

Also, read this topic first (click here)

PS If I may I'd like to say that your signature is a little annoying, and you'd better hope a moderator doesn't get as annoyed by it as I am. Read their rules on signatures as annoying animations are not allowed. Just a thought.
IceCreamTruck
Hey guys!

Come check out all the site changes that I've been making. There are tons of changes from the home page, and on down into the forums. I attacked a few issues that the forums had and I'm really starting to like what I see, and I hope you guys do tooo!!

Take a look and don't forget to tell me what you think!!