FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

No sound in Flash animations

JayBee
I have problem with sound in flash using Firefox. I have Gentoo Linux, KDE 3.5.2, ALSA. All other apps work properly (mpalyer, xmms, ...)

Could I set some configuration to say, that Flash will use ALSA or is there any other trouble?

What could be a problem? Please, help me. Thanks
AftershockVibe
I had this problem with ALSA and the plugin as well, it's a real pain.

Flash should use whatever the Linux default sound system is so that should be already set up. When I looked, people seemed to have had success by making sure nothing else was attempting to use the system at the same time (close Amarok, Rhythm Box, anything that uses Xine) but mine still wouldn't work.

I eventually "solved" the problem by installing the official version (rather than the free GPL implementation). I have Ubuntu so went through Automatix directly to the repository.

The binary must exist out there somewhere though if you want to use it in Gentoo. Gentoo has a huge community so perhaps check the official forums?
drpiga
Under Control Panel > Sound and Multimedia, the Jack sound server is turned on, then? And you've confirmed that the Volume control for both main audio and wav audio are turned up? I'm pretty sure volume on those sites worked for me when I ran 5.0.59 and 5.1.347. Maybe try right-clicking the Flash and checking its settings?
JayBee
Ok, thank you
I'll chack it

(now I have a lot of fun with compiling XGL Wink )
kernel_geek
I had a similar probs i just ran

alsaconf on my gentoo system

although i dont use kde so maybe its a prob a problem with the kde sound server (arts) make sure it has been started.

What browser are you using.
djclue917
JayBee wrote:
I have problem with sound in flash using Firefox. I have Gentoo Linux, KDE 3.5.2, ALSA. All other apps work properly (mpalyer, xmms, ...)

Could I set some configuration to say, that Flash will use ALSA or is there any other trouble?

What could be a problem? Please, help me. Thanks

1. Install the ALSA wrapper for OSS applications.

Note: In my system, the package is named alsa-oss. I don't know with your system though...

2. "Instruct" Firefox to use the ALSA wrapper for sound output.

Locate the (global/system-wide) firefoxrc file. Mine is located at /etc/firefox/.
Now fire up your text editor and open firefoxrc (with root privileges).

Change the line:
FIREFOX_DSP="<whatever>"

into:
FIREFOX_DSP="aoss"